January Crusing??

KrUzTaLkEr

How many of you have cruised the carribean in january before....what is the average temps for there???? and is anyone goign on VALOR on jan. 8th-16th cuz so far nobody has spoken up yet and i'mgetting kinda worried that i'm gonna be the only on on there with my family lol......well safe sailing everyone and enjoy life!!!

We cruised last Jan on the Triumph,and the weather was great. Mid 80's every day. Water temp was about 78- 79 degrees. The first few days it was very windy. But the last half of the trip and the ride home was absolutely great! We did have one morning (the only day we were going to the beach for the entire day) We woke up and the sun was shining, but before we could finish breakfast it started raining. We decided to go ahead and go to the beach anyway. Rented a couple chairs with and umbrella. Layed on the beach for about on hour in the rain, cold and wet and then the sun came out and turned out to be the best day of the week. Thats if you measure a good day at the beach by the degree of sun burn you get!!Ha HA :)

The only draw back of cruising in Jan is..... In March, when we usually go on a warm weather trip, we only have a few weeks after we return home and then is nice at home. Traveling to warm places in January leaves 4 months before it gets warm at home. So I suffered from severe withdrawl and vowed never to go on vacation in January again...... Well thats until this Jan when we are planning something again. Go and have a great time!!! :)

We cruised on the Inspiration January 24, 2004. The weather was great, it was a western itin. and the sun was always shining and the temps were 80's to low 90's. Doing the southern itin 2006. the only draw back is the weather when we are trying to get out of our hometown in january:eek: to get to the port. I think by going in jan. you get to experience the holidays in December and have something to look forward to until spring instead of nothing but cold, miserable weather. Ok I'm going outside now into the warm summer sun and not think of winter:)

Ok I'm going outside now into the warm summer sun and not think of winter:)

blah....you just made me have a flashback as well. I live in Nebraska, so Jan. is no fun here as well. That being said...I have a trip planned for January on the Valor. We are going to be on the ship the week after kruztalker. I have heard decent things about Jan. cruises. Weather can be crazy no matter what time of year. Last cruise I went on was during Sept. and some people said that was a terrible time because of hurricanes and such.....we had great weather that time and we hope for the same again. It will be nice to get out of the snow in January.

We were going to go on the Valor 1/8/06, however, we decided to head back to the Eastern Carribean on the same date via the Victory. We know about 20 people from our area that will be going with you though!

If I had a favorite month to cruise in, it would definately be January. We've done a couple during that month and here's my observations...

1) The waters in the Gulf and the Eastern Carribean are the calmest they are going to be.

2) Leaving IA for warm weather! You CANNOT beat that.

3) You have something to look forward to AFTER the holidays. This get's us through some of the painful family things we get roped into! :)

4) Typically the cruises in January are lower priced than other times of the year. As one of the tour guides in Florida told us, it's the "high season" for cruise boats, as there are more boats in Florida at that time of year than any other (as most Canada/Alaska boats have been repositioned there for the winter) and there is a glut of rooms available.

5) There are not a lot of kids on the boat. Ours are pre-school aged, and seem to get extra attention from the Camp Carnival staff (kid to staff ratio is really low).

6) NO HURRICANES HAVE EVER SPUN UP IN JANUARY.

I'll be on the Valor for the January 22, 2006 sailing.

This will be our first western caribbean sailing in the month of January, although we have sailed the eastern and southern itineraries at that time of year before.

It may be cold (or cool - depending on where you're coming from) leaving Miami, but it's a pretty sure bet to be warm once you're in the caribbean proper.

I'm hoping for calm, clear seas!

We have sailed the last three years in Jan. Two of them were out of Fort Lauderdale and one out of Canaveral. It is usually cool for the sail away, but warms up by the next morning. We live in GA so what is cool or cold to us may be warm for some of the folks from up North. Just go and enjoy yourself. Not many kids either.

We love cruising in January. We always go the first full week of January. The price is the lowest for the season, there are hardly any children (school back in session), and the weather is wonderful. Coming from Colorado, Florida is a wonderful place to get away to in the middle of the winter.

This past January we sailed out of NO. Won't do that again. Florida is the only place to sale out of in our opinion.

Go in January ~ You will love it!

Wow thank you for all the responses that helps a lot! Square.... i'll try and not totally destroy the ship before u get on it....and Joe....what is the age range of the 20 ppl going on the wk i am going??? just curious....well safe sailing everybody and enjoy life!!!

We almost always take a cruise to the Caribbean in January! :) Remember, it is ALWAYS summer in the Caribbean!!! In January 2006 we'll be on GLORY! :) Absolutely the best time of year to go!

Note --> Actually, the winter months -- expecially January, February, mid-March -- are "High Season" in the Caribbean. Only on the Carnival Board do folks refer to it a as "cheap time" of year. Most Caribbean Resorts have their least expenise prices in the SUMMER and their highest prices in the WINTER! As you may have noticed, many cruise lines don't do the Caribbean at all (or very limited) in June, July, or August ....

KrUz .... You'll love it! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I'll be on the Jan. 8th Valor cruise with you. I always do an early Jan. Caribbean cruise and have never hit any really poor weather. As one poster said, Miami may be a bit cool ...60-70's... by the next day it's pool time! Only 6 months to go!

I sent my mother and sister on a cruise January 8, 2005. The weather was great temp. wise. The only problem they had was the wind. Apparently January is the windy season. Temps. should be in the mid to upper 70's in Miami, and 80 - 90 in the islands. Have a great time.

we cruised the inspiration in jan, i will never go in jan again. if u r not a water person, i think it will be fine. the weather was perfect temp wise. the water was very cold. i am hot blooded in my 40,s dont get cold often, but wow! the stingray city in grand cayman was so cold but we did it anyway! our pirate ship and all water excursions were canceled due to high winds and choppy water. snuba on cozumel, it was better here but still cold water. just my experience.

We did it once. Weather was GREAT!

Only drawback, and reason I will never do it again:

The sun SETS at 4:30!!!!!!:eek:

Who wants to be on the Lido in the dark! And this was the only cruise I've ever been on where I took the LATE seating!

Go figure!

Wow thank you for all the responses that helps a lot! Square.... i'll try and not totally destroy the ship before u get on it....and Joe....what is the age range of the 20 ppl going on the wk i am going??? just curious....well safe sailing everybody and enjoy life!!!

WIDE range of ages... from age 5 to 55. Most are in their mid 30's - lower 40's.

OCRUISERS when are you sailing in Jan? We are on the Jan 28th sailing on the Glory.

molme .... WOW! So glad you posted this! We'll be on that very same cruise! Also, we are are doing a B2B so will be there the week before as well. VERY MUCH LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS CRUISE! Please, let's keep in touch!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

We always cruise in Jan or early Feb.

I love it.. We are from Michigan and its COLD here.. We got through

the holiday season.. And now its time to get away from it all!!!!

The sea is calm.. and the weather in the carribbean is WONDERFUL!!

wow ctguy that is sooo cool that we r gonna be on the same ship....how old r u maybe we can cause sum trouble together!!!!

KrUzTaLkEr .... Someone has a thread started on this Glory January 26, 2006 sailing on the Carnival Roll Call Board. Check it out:

(or just click here) GLORY January 28, 2006

Looking forward to the cruise!!! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Archived