Dogs on Ships

e2011

I was not aware dogs were allowed on cruise ships. Is it some ADA law that allows service dogs or emotional support dogs on a ship? I saw a dog on my last cruise and it was not a blind person. It was a lap dog.

The ADA covers service dogs and yes, they are allowed on ships. Whether the service dog is a legitimate service dog is quite another question, however, since there is no shortage of people who obtain fake credentials for their dogs. The ADA is very restrictive in what questions can be asked of a service dog's owner. The intent was noble, but the implementation was very problematic.

Disney has two very specific staterooms for people with needs, who bring an assistance dog with them. The balonies are quite large and there is a large ventilation system on the balcony. The cruise line places a large "sandbox" near the ventilation system for the dogs' use.

There are also several locations "backstage" where CM's & the dog owner can take the dog for a potty break.

Often times it's obvious why someone might need an assistance dog....as in a dog for the blind.....but I've known someone who had a dog because she was physically disabled, and the dog was really strictly to help her keep her balance.

A lot of the smaller dogs are trained to know if their owner might be in need of insulin, or getting close to having a seizure, and some are simply used for emotional stability.

EDITED TO ADD: They have these two staterooms on the Magic and Wonder, I'm not sure where (if any) there might be some located on the newer ships.

Edited by MizDaisy

Disney has two very specific staterooms for people with needs, who bring an assistance dog with them. The balonies are quite large and there is a large ventilation system on the balcony. The cruise line places a large "sandbox" near the ventilation system for the dogs' use.

There are also several locations "backstage" where CM's & the dog owner can take the dog for a potty break.

Often times it's obvious why someone might need an assistance dog....as in a dog for the blind.....but I've known someone who had a dog because she was physically disabled, and the dog was really strictly to help her keep her balance.

A lot of the smaller dogs are trained to know if their owner might be in need of insulin, or getting close to having a seizure, and some are simply used for emotional stability.

EDITED TO ADD: They have these two staterooms on the Magic and Wonder, I'm not sure where (if any) there might be some located on the newer ships.

My family and I have been on four Disney cruises with our daughters service dog. We have stayed in three different wheelchair accessible cabins. I don't know where you got your information about there only being only two staterooms that allow service dogs, but it's not true. A person with a service dog can choose any cabin they want. We choose to stay in an accessible cabin with a balcony so we are on the stern of the ship. At least on the Magic & Wonder. Please don't give out wrong information. If you are not sure of something, ask.

Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post

Disney has two very specific staterooms for people with needs, who bring an assistance dog with them. The balonies are quite large and there is a large ventilation system on the balcony. The cruise line places a large "sandbox" near the ventilation system for the dogs' use.There are also several locations "backstage" where CM's & the dog owner can take the dog for a potty break.

[/u][/color]

My family and I have been on four Disney cruises with our daughters service dog. We have stayed in three different wheelchair accessible cabins. I don't know where you got your information about there only being only two staterooms that allow service dogs, but it's not true. A person with a service dog can choose any cabin they want. We choose to stay in an accessible cabin with a balcony so we are on the stern of the ship. At least on the Magic & Wonder. Please don't give out wrong information. If you are not sure of something, ask.

I'm not sure if this is going to work, but this is my daughters service dogs potty box in our Alaska cruise this past July. We were in cabin 7136. No big ventilation system here!!

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv260/Disneykidsdad/11.jpg

Edited by DisneyKidsDad

I wasn't aware that the ADA applied to Bahamian flagged ships.

The cruise lines do in fact follow the ADA and they all allow service animals on board. There are some things that people need to know. There are people who have seeing eye dogs which we are all aware of and probably have seen. There are also dogs that service other needs, such as has been mentioned by other posters. Other animals are service animals, I worked in a supermarket and woman came in with a service parakeet. If you search the web you will find pictures and stories of individuals with service horses. I hope no one with a service dog decides to go on a cruise. Heres a picture...

http://maxfaqs.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/service-horses/

Also, to correct what some posters have said earlier. It is a violation of federal law to ask or require paperwork to prove an animal is a service animal. No hotel, restaurant or presumably a cruise line is allowed to do this.

[/u][/color]

I should have stated that better. I didn't mean to say that there are ONLY two rooms. I was speaking of just two of the ones with larger balconies that I am aware of. They're on Deck 6.

But thanks for biting my head off. I wasn't giving WRONG information.....I just didn't phrase it the way it should have been.

Edited by MizDaisy

See large vent in corner. Now, granted, when the ships were built, that vent wasn't placed there for the purpose of having assistance dogs on the balcony.....but it definitely works well for that purpose, and I do know that they will place someone with a larger dog there, if the room(s) are available when that person books.

065_zps54c6f130.jpg

DisneyKidsDad......I totally understand your feelings of wanting to make sure that the correct information is put out there, especially if you have a child with needs.

I do apoligize for the fact that my statement was misleading, but I also DO know what I'm talking about.

On the Magic and Wonder, because of MY disabilities, I've stayed in each of the aft handicap staterooms on Decks 6, 7 and 8 multiple times.

Our first cruise ever was on the Wonder, in 2002, in stateroom 8602. That's 11 years worth of experience.

My husband's Seeing Eye Dog has been on three cruises. Two Disney both on the Wonder, and one Carnival. For the first Disney cruise we had a handicapped room with a large balcony where the potty box was placed. We didn't ask for that room. It was available so we were switched to it. The second was a standard balcony room but the box was put in a public area one floor up from where our cabin was.

There are a lot of paperwork hoops that comes with bringing a dog on board a ship. (International permit papers, vet visits and fees, preventative medicines that may be required by some countries). Trust me, if there wasn't a need to bring the dog, we wouldn't bring him.

I am curious about the "sandbox". Do service animals, dogs in particular, get trained to use such a box? My dog is not a service dog and I can't imagine she would use one of those without training.

The ADA applies to all cruise ships that embark passengers (essentially offering accommodations) in US ports.

Many service animals are trained to do their business in very specific locations. We had one dog who was trained to only go on kitty litter, but we were not informed of this in advance, and only had shredded paper for the dog yard. The poor dog had an uncomfortable night until we could get to WalMart the next day to get a supply of kitty litter.

We have also had a service monkey onboard. Apparently, the woman had a condition where one symptom was to forget to take her medication. The monkey was trained to remind her to take her meds (not sure how the monkey knew), and was with her all the time, wearing a diaper.

I am curious about the "sandbox". Do service animals, dogs in particular, get trained to use such a box? My dog is not a service dog and I can't imagine she would use one of those without training.

The dogs from the organization that my daughters dog is from is trained to go on any surface. He has a command that we use that tells him it's OK to "go" here if he has to. Not only does my daughter have a service dog but we are also volunteer puppy raiser for them. We train them from 8 weeks old to go on any and all surfaces. In fact if we can help it, for the first couple of weeks the dog never goes on grass. The current 18 month old puppy we have now will go on any surface we tell him it's OK to go on. He gets turned in on Friday for advanced training.

Our dog was trained to use concrete so it didn't matter where we took him to go. Over the years, he has gotten spoiled and we try to find a patch of grass, mulch, something like that now. We were just at an NFL game over the weekend and he went in an area with stone pebbles.

On the ships, we have had sod, mulch, and pellets that looked like big pieces of rabbit feed. He wasn't crazy about it but used it with no problems.

I believe there have been recent changes with the ADA specifically outlining what is a service animal vs emotional support animal.

My retired Service Dog, Brenda, had finished her 15th cruise on various cruiselines and in various countries around the world.

My Successor Service Dog, Horton, has just completed his 3rd cruise in October, with two planned for 2014.

As DKD has so aptly stated there is no such thing as a "balcony for dogs with a special air vent", that's pure nonsense. A person with a Service Dog may stay in any cabin he/she has rented. It is against the law to put the Service Dog and handler in a "special room" in a hotel or crusie ship or at a "special table" in a restaurant.

The cruiseline must abide by ALL DOJ and ADA laws if they are leaving from or ending at a USA port.

ESD [Emotional Support Dogs] DO NOT have public access and may NOT board a cruise ship or go into the public venue. The ESD with a letter from an appropriate Medical Doctor can live in public housing where pets are not allowed or they may go into a hospital setting to assist in caring for patients by allowing the patient to pat and just be with them.

Although the cruise ship may not ask, "what is wrong with you", they may ask, "what does your dog do for you" and require paperwork that none of you would want to fill out.

Having a Service Dog is work, lots and lots of work but what they give back is ten-fold. It's also tadamount to going through your life with a 2 year old attached, who must be reminded to use good judgement and manners at all times. Also, a good handler will think of their dogs needs first and foremost!

Canine Companions for Independence is working with our legislators to STOP the sale and purchase of phoney Id's/vests and paperwork for untrained dogs online. They're working on a universal ID Card that will be carried by legitamate Service Dog handlers and will be provided to all public venues.

It's been a long, hard road for people like Disney Kids Dad, myself and many, many more who have gone before us to get this public acceptance for us and our dogs. It seems if your disability is not obvious than you're not accepted into the public as a team with your amazing dog partner.

Please, if you see a team walking together in your supermarket, on a cruise or in the theatre, give them a big smile......the work they've done to get into the public arena has been long and hard.

THANK YOU, Disney Kids Dad for Puppyraising miracle workers for people just like me.

Can you imagine raising a puppy for over a year, putting in all that hard work, love and devotion and then giving it away, maybe to never see it again? Unbelievable!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Also, my retired dog Brenda is at home, living the good life. Napping 18 hours a day, she's now 14 years old. She was my hero and worked beside me for over 10 years. She saved my life and, hopefully, I'm rewarding her with a wonderful life of rest and relaxation. :)

As DKD has so aptly stated there is no such thing as a "balcony for dogs with a special air vent", that's pure nonsense. A person with a Service Dog may stay in any cabin he/she has rented. It is against the law to put the Service Dog and handler in a "special room" in a hotel or crusie ship or at a "special table" in a restaurant.

I don't suppose you read the rest of my posts?? Neither I, nor anyone else on this thread, ever stated that service dogs COULD ONLY be in certain staterooms, or at certain tables.

Our friend's service dog once slept under my husband's chair in the PRIVATE DINING ROOM at Palo onboard the Wonder....so obviously these animals are permitted to go anywhere with their owners.

And I'll repeat, since you didn't read it....the two rooms that have vents on the balcony were NOT built with the vent for that purpose, but it does come in handy. There's a picture....so it's not nonsense.

Geesh people, take a chill pill. :rolleyes:

I don't suppose you read the rest of my posts?? Neither I, nor anyone else on this thread, ever stated that service dogs COULD ONLY be in certain staterooms, or at certain tables.

Our friend's service dog once slept under my husband's chair in the PRIVATE DINING ROOM at Palo onboard the Wonder....so obviously these animals are permitted to go anywhere with their owners.

And I'll repeat, since you didn't read it....the two rooms that have vents on the balcony were NOT built with the vent for that purpose, but it does come in handy. There's a picture....so it's not nonsense.

Daisy, forgive me if I mis-read or mis-understood you.

With all your vast experience, may I ask what you think the duct work on the OUTSIDE balcony might be used for in terms of "venting" a dogs potty box? Exactly how would that work in an outside area? Just asking!

We've worked with seeing eye dogs at a national convention for the blind. Some dogs will go on any surface, some like a dirt or kitty litter type place, while others want grass. We had both set ups-- a large "sandbox" area and an area with sod so the owners could use whatever made their dog most comfortable. However, even if the preferred surface is not available, most will go when given their command.

If a guest with a service dog chooses a cabin without a balcony, DCL places a "sandbox" (like a toddler wading pool) in a public area. In our experience, this has been the "not so secret" deck 7. They will supply kitty litter or sod as directed by the owner, and the area is kept VERY clean (CMs tend it several times each day).

I'm really surprised that they place a dog tray near that vent. Since it's not an exhaust vent (the wind would make the balcony uninhabitable), it is an intake vent, so that would transmit the odor from the dog tray elsewhere around the ship.

I'm really surprised that they place a dog tray near that vent. Since it's not an exhaust vent (the wind would make the balcony uninhabitable), it is an intake vent, so that would transmit the odor from the dog tray elsewhere around the ship.

You're right, it is an intake vent....and they do place the dog tray there, as I've seen it.

I have no idea where on the ship that vent leads to.

I'm just telling what I've seen. Maybe it wasn't on purpose, but it definitely did work to keep the smell from the rest of the balcony, and the one next door.

Daisy, forgive me if I mis-read or mis-understood you.

With all your vast experience, may I ask what you think the duct work on the OUTSIDE balcony might be used for in terms of "venting" a dogs potty box? Exactly how would that work in an outside area? Just asking!

See my response above. And why the sarcasm? Be happy! Take a cruise!:)

Just ignore me if you think I'm stupid. I don't mind being ignored by someone I don't even know.:cool: