Flat iron - where to buy in Germany?

Hoyaheel

I'm kicking myself for not buying a flat iron at Monoprix last year, but I didn't. So - what kind of store would sell them in Germany? As far as I know, that'll be my next European trip. I want a 220v hair straightener for travel - I have a curling iron (and hair dryer) from when I lived in belgium many years ago and I take the curling iron with me on some trips (usually not the dryer - almost all hotels & ships have dryers these days)

(no, I don't want a dual voltage - I have one at home that's fine and the reviews of dual voltage I've read haven't been great, so.... I do enough travel in areas with 220v that I'll get enough usage out of it over time - esp if it lasts as long as my Belgian appliances have - 21 years and counting:D)

I just took my regular flat iron and a converter. I needed the converter - as mine is not dual volatage either - but I love my iron. I have used it all throughout Europe no problems and then on the ship I did not need the converter.

Sharon

In which city are you going to stay?

I am sure there's a Saturn or Media Markt in every major cities.

Or, you can order it on amazon.de and have it sent to your hotel.

Thanks - that's what I was looking for - names of stores!

We'll be on a Christmas Market river cruise that starts in Nuremberg and we'll go at least a day early (though we don't have enough time to do the Prague pre-trip visit this time since the cruise is pretty long).

Though that's not until next December and it's entirely possible I'll end up traveling to another 220v region before then.....I love to travel and that's why I want a dedicated 220v appliance - I prefer not to carry converters.

Edited by Hoyaheel

If you search for "220 volt straightening iron" you will find plenty of options, both dual and single voltage. I personally would get one before the trip (just guessing, but I'm pretty sure that most hair appliances are made in China now).

• 1 month later...
I just took my regular flat iron and a converter. I needed the converter - as mine is not dual volatage either - but I love my iron. I have used it all throughout Europe no problems and then on the ship I did not need the converter.

Sharon

I love my straight iron, also.:) I have heard that using a US hair straightener in Europe will blow the appliance up... even if you have a converter.

I have some duel appliances that I use with the two prong Euro adaptor and they work fine in Europe and on the ship, but I have never been able to use my straightener until we get on the ship. What type converter do you use?

I'm kicking myself for not buying a flat iron at Monoprix last year, but I didn't. So - what kind of store would sell them in Germany? As far as I know, that'll be my next European trip. I want a 220v hair straightener for travel - I have a curling iron (and hair dryer) from when I lived in belgium many years ago and I take the curling iron with me on some trips (usually not the dryer - almost all hotels & ships have dryers these days)

(no, I don't want a dual voltage - I have one at home that's fine and the reviews of dual voltage I've read haven't been great, so.... I do enough travel in areas with 220v that I'll get enough usage out of it over time - esp if it lasts as long as my Belgian appliances have - 21 years and counting:D)

Hi, there's a website called "Folica" that carries european plug hair appliances, they have quite a few flat irons to choose from.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't had any problem using my flat Conair or Revlon curling irons in London or Paris with an adapter. :)

For anyone reading this, be careful. If you have a dual voltage appliance you will be fine and will only need an adapter. If it is a US 110 volt, you will need a convertor. Big, big difference between the two.

A 110 volt appliance will fry with just an adapter, it does not convert power.