Labadee-Question about residents

slmwo

When my 14 year old daughter discovered that we were cruising to Labadee and that it was a part of Haiti, she became very upset that we would be lounging by a beach eating at a buffet just a short distance from poor and hungry residents. I had never looked at it that way - I'm glad that she has a good heart. Question is, are there people working on the island that live there that we might bring gifts to - and would you have a suggestion for small gifts since we'll be flying into port? I had read in another thread that some people had observed what appeared to be kids in the area that may have belonged to someone working there.

Any thoughts you have are appreciated!

There are no "residents' at Labadee....it's an enclosed, private, guarded area leased by RCI. Locals can't get in, and you can't get out. There is no one to donate to.....

The few Haitians that do work there appreciate tips...for moving lounge chairs and such....so bring some cash! That's all you need to do...and in reality, that's all you can do.

America and other countries have been trying to help the Haitians for YEARS....their government is so corrupt that it is an impossiblity. Any aid that is given is taken by the "folks in charge"...those who really need the help do not get it. Don't support the dictators.

Edited by cb at sea

The best thing you can do is generously tip the Haitian band that plays most of the day near the entrance to Labadee from the dock and tip the men who drag lounge chairs to where ever you would prefer to have them. The band has a box in front for tips and they are so appreciative of what you give.

Also buying the arts and crafts at the craft pavilion is a great help to these disadvantaged people.

Security is very tight at Labadee and random locals including children cannot enter. Your being there does bring employment to the carefully selected people who do work when ships are docked. The fewer people who come because they feel uneasy about the inequity of wealth, the fewer locals will have desperately needed employment. Just going to Labadee is a way of helping.

You might like to know Royal Caribbean gives generously to the Haitian people.

The local vendors live in the local area, including Cap Haitien, or even the smaller villages in the area. Yes, there is a small village called "Labadee", but it's not the compound itself - Labadee is a small fishing village.

Most employees you will find on Labadee are Haitian. They live in Haiti, just outside the gates, to support the locals, you can buy goods from the vendors, and tip people that do things for you.

Tell your daughter that she has a great heart! But, there is no reason to feel guilty about the vacation. It will be the same way anywhere you travel. Including Las Vegas - just drive 2-3 streets over from the strip, and you'll see what I mean.

I lived in Haiti for 18 months as a missionary back in the 1980's. I know how poor Haiti is. I know how difficult the government is. I know how rough Haitians have it. But, Labadee is my favourite port. I get to speak Haitian Creole again, and buy Haitian Art - which is unique to Haiti (unlike many of the other ports, which sell the same stuff). I have NO problem enjoying the luxury on the beach since it supports the local communities.