How could Celebrity Improve?

Stateroom_Sailor

I'll start off by saying Celebrity is by far our favorite to date. I am posting because I hope Celebrity reads this and if they hear the same feedback again and again, they may listen. Our suggestions would be:

Number 1- Work on the evening entertainment. RCCL and Princess both do a great job offering MORE options each evening. Broadway show / las vegas headliner show are great ideas, more evenings of Liars Club, comedians etc. I agree there are only so many nights I can sit at the martini bar.

2-Change up the ports in Eastern Caribbean and Mediterranean itineraries. We want to keep coming back but it is getting repetitive. We like to visit new places too.

Another thread reminds me that it has been a while since we sailed a non-S-Class ship. While the older ships are in pretty good shape overall there are a lot of things Celebrity lets go. They made a big to-do about the Solsticizing but this mostly added additional revenue items for them and didn't do that dramatic a refurbishment of the staterooms and details around the ships beyond soft goods replacement.

A recent discussion thread is typical: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40628459

While things like this wouldn't keep me from sailing an M class ship it would be wonderful if these ships were kept up a bit more.

I have a 10 year old car that I love and is destined to be a classic car. It's always a pleasure to use but even more so if it's been recently "detailed". As nice as these older ships are they'd be that much more attractive if Celebrity really 'detailed" them now and then.

We Love Celebrity, But there is always room for improvement.

In addition to some of the great suggestions already expressed, I would add the following.

My first suggestion would be to have some sort of lunch option available starting at 11. If I am going to eat dinner at 6pm I do not want to wait until 12 or 12:30 to eat lunch. I like to eat early so I will be hungry for dinner. It seems that they really cater their meal hours around late seating.

My second suggestion would be to have another bar on the ship that sells Martinis where we can go and have a Martini in a quieter atmosphere. I know Celebrity is moving toward a younger party atmosphere and that is fine, the Ice bar works well for that. Perhaps if they made the wine bar a Wine/Martini bar where those of us who prefer to have a conversation with our drink have an alternative. That way they can please both types of people and I think it would be an easy fix.

...My second suggestion would be to have another bar on the ship that sells Martinis where we can go and have a Martini in a quieter atmosphere. I know Celebrity is moving toward a younger party atmosphere and that is fine, the Ice bar works well for that. Perhaps if they made the wine bar a Wine/Martini bar where those of us who prefer to have a conversation with our drink have an alternative. That way they can please both types of people and I think it would be an easy fix.

On the S class ships I think the whole Martini Bar menu is also available at the Ensemble lounge.

On the M class ships the whole area that makes up both the wine bar (Cellarmasters) and the Bistro on 5 used to be the Martini Bar and Champagne Bar. It was my favorite place on the ship where one could enjoy Martinis and good conversation. While the new M class Martini Bars look newer and more contemporary we frequently head elsewhere as the noise level often makes conversation difficult. The Martini Bar waiters used to all make fantastic martinis now they specialize in fancy pouring and bartender acrobatics while some of them make awful martinis. On our last two cruises we've had to find a waiter than knew how to make good martinis to remake some of the ones the Martini bartenders made for us. BTW - this complaint of mine is an excellent example of a frequent cruiser (me) complaining about something that a first time Celebrity cruiser would think was just wonderful. I discussed this in post #2 to this thread.

Edited by Lsimon

We were on the Reflection on the 10/8/2013 sailing. Out of 10 nights my husband could only get Drambuie 3 times !!! And all 3 times took a waiter to several bars to find this drink. After drink #3 he was told that there was no more available on the ship. This is not an unusual request but one that has not been met on several cruises. What gives Celebrity???

So, how could Celebrity improve ? ...........

Many, many things they could / should have done ........ for example :

Website/ Brochure related (apart from the fact the website is badly designed & doesn't function properly) :

• Put the actual stateroom plan up (not the generic, inaccurate, one-size-fits-all layout);
  • Show where the position of the bed/couch is for each stateroom;
  • Indicate on the floor plans which stateroom doors are adjacent ("share" the step-in area off the corridor).

Stateroom TV related :

• Display the dinner menu for Main Dining Room each day (or why not all, at once, for that voyage - after all, they don't deviate from their plan);
  • Put your cruise itinerary on the TV ;
  • Display a proper (detailed) map showing all the ports you'll stop at, with the regions cities, mountains, rivers, roads, etc (unlike the Location channel showing blank green shape for land, blue for sea, an orange dot for where ship is);
  • Give information (with a proper map) regarding the "points of interest" which the ship will be sailing past (islands, international date line, volcanos, Straits, ocean fault lines, etc);
  • On the Location TV Channel - show how many miles the ship has travelled at that point, and how many miles to the next port;
  • Have informative navigational info (not just the you are here, wind is this ..., but details the officers would use etc).

Printed Information Sheets :

• TV Programmes : P&O Cruises have a printed guide in stateroom to what's showing on each TV channel every day during your voyage!! Celebrity just give you a channel name;
  • Print a "Ships Log"/ Cruise Log to be available to collect at end of cruise. P&O Cruises publish one for each voyage (by the officers of the Bridge) giving a day by day account of how they sailed the ship (influencing factors, weather, course followed etc);
  • On the "Celebrity Today" also show the Nautical Information (MSC give the navigational info related to the sail in/out of the port - from the Bridge Officers point of view).

What I'd like, in no particular order:

Self serve laundry room or an unlimited laundry package deal like HAL.

"Loaner" bicycles to use in the ports.

The ability to stay in our cabin until debarkation time.

An electric kettle in the cabin.

NOT having to pay for an excursion at the time of reservation.

A more efficient website.

Less expensive necessities in onboard shops like sunscreen and cold meds

Ummm, a photo picture menu in the MDR with reviews from prior cruisers (OK, I've gone too far)

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Make Formal night, FORMAL. If pax are not dressed properly they should NOT be allowed in ANY dining room except the casual dining in the buffet area. THE NUMBER ONE reason we cruise with CELEBRITY is because Celebrity is our last opportunity for a REAL Formal night.

PLEASE SAVE A REAL FORMAL NIGHT!!!!

IF YOU ANNOUNCE THAT YOU WILL STICK TO YOUR RULES, PEOPLE WILL DRESS OR EAT ELSEWHERE. BUT I BET THEY WILL DRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE?!?!?!?!?!

Celebrity could improve ........

In the Stateroom :

Toilet Paper ! : The "quality is very unacceptable. I didn't know single-ply toilet paper even still existed until I sailed on a Celebrity ship. What a shock !

Tissues (in bathroom) : are currently a thin 2 ply and small size. Would evaporate if you were to actually blow your nose.

Bath Towels quality : in the "normal" staterooms (ie. those below Concierge class) are not only too small, but are thin also. (Only Concierge staterooms & above get bath towels of an acceptable quality).

Wardrobe : put a spotlight in ceiling directly above wardrobes doors (so you can see inside!).

Coat hooks : (on wall inside the door) - put in much bigger ones (actual hooks) and more than 2.

Room storage :

-- add a floor to ceiling shelving unit (eg. 10ins wide) -with or without door. To make up for lack of drawers and hold jumpers, books, cameras, purchases etc etc.

-- when the couch isn't a trundle bed, convert the section underneath into a pull-out drawer. (We found over-bed storage unit difficult to reach, couldn't see into it when standing on floor & in some cases the Room Attendant used it to store other bed linen l& the beach towels etc, so it wasn't even available).

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Make Formal night, FORMAL. If pax are not dressed properly they should NOT be allowed in ANY dining room except the casual dining in the buffet area. THE NUMBER ONE reason we cruise with CELEBRITY is because Celebrity is our last opportunity for a REAL Formal night.

IF YOU ANNOUNCE THAT YOU WILL STICK TO YOUR RULES, PEOPLE WILL DRESS OR EAT ELSEWHERE. BUT I BET THEY WILL DRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE?!?!?!?!?!

Sorry.......Specialty Restaurants and Blu are now smart casual everynight. Husband loves it...me, not so much. I miss seeing everyone in their finest.

So, how could Celebrity improve ? ...........

Many, many things they could / should have done ........ for example :

Website/ Brochure related (apart from the fact the website is badly designed & doesn't function properly) :

• Put the actual stateroom plan up (not the generic, inaccurate, one-size-fits-all layout);
  • Show where the position of the bed/couch is for each stateroom;
  • Indicate on the floor plans which stateroom doors are adjacent ("share" the step-in area off the corridor).

Stateroom TV related :

• Display the dinner menu for Main Dining Room each day (or why not all, at once, for that voyage - after all, they don't deviate from their plan);
  • Put your cruise itinerary on the TV ;
  • Display a proper (detailed) map showing all the ports you'll stop at, with the regions cities, mountains, rivers, roads, etc (unlike the Location channel showing blank green shape for land, blue for sea, an orange dot for where ship is);
  • Give information (with a proper map) regarding the "points of interest" which the ship will be sailing past (islands, international date line, volcanos, Straits, ocean fault lines, etc);
  • On the Location TV Channel - show how many miles the ship has travelled at that point, and how many miles to the next port;
  • Have informative navigational info (not just the you are here, wind is this ..., but details the officers would use etc).

Printed Information Sheets :

• TV Programmes : P&O Cruises have a printed guide in stateroom to what's showing on each TV channel every day during your voyage!! Celebrity just give you a channel name;
  • Print a "Ships Log"/ Cruise Log to be available to collect at end of cruise. P&O Cruises publish one for each voyage (by the officers of the Bridge) giving a day by day account of how they sailed the ship (influencing factors, weather, course followed etc);
  • On the "Celebrity Today" also show the Nautical Information (MSC give the navigational info related to the sail in/out of the port - from the Bridge Officers point of view).

I am loving some of these improvements, especially the TV realted information.:D

PLEASE?!?!?!?!?!

Yes, consistant enforcement of policy would be most effective.:D

I'm not aware of any cruise line that has toughened its formal wear policy in recent years, or toughened enforcement of existing policies. All the changes have been toward more casual.

At the higher end, Oceania is doing very well with their Country Club casual all the time approach [and even Crystal has recently changed to Black Tie Optional as their top category]. At the lower end, NCL is all about do what you want when you want. Celebrity is trying to compete with both those lines, so they won't buck this trend.

For those who love Formal Nights, why not make your own? Solicit interest on the Roll Call and reserve your own corner of the dining room (anytime dining or a specialty restaurant)?

On the M class ships the whole area that makes up both the wine bar (Cellarmasters) and the Bistro on 5 used to be the Martini Bar and Champagne Bar. It was my favorite place on the ship where one could enjoy Martinis and good conversation. While the new M class Martini Bars look newer and more contemporary we frequently head elsewhere as the noise level often makes conversation difficult. The Martini Bar waiters used to all make fantastic martinis now they specialize in fancy pouring and bartender acrobatics while some of them make awful martinis. On our last two cruises we've had to find a waiter than knew how to make good martinis to remake some of the ones the Martini bartenders made for us. BTW - this complaint of mine is an excellent example of a frequent cruiser (me) complaining about something that a first time Celebrity cruiser would think was just wonderful. I discussed this in post #2 to this thread.

Yes we sailed on the Millennium a couple of times when Cellarmasters was still the Martini bar, it was our favorite place to go before and after dinner.

Now you can't get a seat at the Martini bar and if you do the music is so loud you can't even order your drink. And I agree with the quality of the drinks, I also get really annoyed when I finally get my drink and it is only half full becasue they spilled half of it while they were trying to pour it all fancy.

So I have had to resort to standing in line at the bar to get my drink then going up stairs to the Cafe to enjoy it.

I have no problem with them keeping the party bar I just want a quiet place where I can get a good Martini and have a conversation.

We have yet to sail on a Solstice class, we really prefer the smaller ships but perhaps I will have to give in and try it.

Yes we sailed on the Millennium a couple of times when Cellarmasters was still the Martini bar, it was our favorite place to go before and after dinner.

Now you can't get a seat at the Martini bar and if you do the music is so loud you can't even order your drink. And I agree with the quality of the drinks, I also get really annoyed when I finally get my drink and it is only half full becasue they spilled half of it while they were trying to pour it all fancy.

So I have had to resort to standing in line at the bar to get my drink then going up stairs to the Cafe to enjoy it.

I have no problem with them keeping the party bar I just want a quiet place where I can get a good Martini and have a conversation.

We have yet to sail on a Solstice class, we really prefer the smaller ships but perhaps I will have to give in and try it.

They are all great ships for their own reasons. Crowds at the bars can vary from cruise to cruise as well. Recently, we did a B2B and the contrast was amazing, the first was relatively empty at nearly every bar while the second was packed (1300 Aussies aboard).:D