Maori Culture/Dance Show at Rotorua??

TLCOhio

In preparing for our Jan. 20-Feb. 3 Celebrity Solstice Sydney to Auckland Solstice cruise, I am debating for our Tauranga-Rotorua stop on whether at Te Puia to do the Maori culture/dance show . . . or not?? We have a group of seven couples from Central Ohio and want to research in advance in order to make the best, smart decisions.

From looking at the pictures from this program, plus reading some reviews, am getting very mixed/divided comments on the question for whether that program would be too "touristy" and/or fake. In talking with others in our group who have traveled much, these types of programs around the world sometimes seem to lack the "authentic" reflection of the culture and history. Just a question for if it is really worth the time and cost to do this 45-minute program??

Learning more on the Maori culture seems good, but how does it really work out? Added reactions, insights that others have seen and/or experienced at this location? What was the talent and quality level for what is presented, how it is done at Te Puia?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 124,070 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

It's been some time since we saw one of these shows[there are quite a few]but the one we saw in Rotorua was magic.

The shows usually have some narrative,linking the story together,the Poi dance is superb and how often have you been "up close and personal"to a Haka?

Rotorua is in itself an experience,geysers,bubbling hot mudpools and a strong smell of rotten egg gas.

We saw this concert in 2008. It was held in the village's "community hall", which was filled with hundreds of people. We were well down the back and saw little. It was too dark to even get a photo from that distance. I wasn't overly impressed, but maybe the format has changed since then. From memory Te Puia village was very popular....and dare I say, "touristy".

The visit to the village's woodcarving/craft workshop was very interesting.

Enjoy your time over here :).

Edited by Kinkacruiser

Just a question for if it is really worth the time and cost to do this 45-minute program??

Learning more on the Maori culture seems good, but how does it really work out? Added reactions, insights that others have seen and/or experienced at this location? What was the talent and quality level for what is presented, how it is done at Te Puia?

Even though we are New Zealander's, we have been to a couple of shows when staying in a hotels a few years ago, and we found it quite entertaining. The attraction for us was to have the "Hangi" Maori dinner first then the show which to me was quite authentic and they usually invite up some guests to participate. I haven't seen the Te Puia show but have heard it is really good.

Have a great cruise Terry, we arrive with the Solstice on Jan 17th, and I believe you get aboard on the 20th.

It's been some time since we saw one of these shows. there are quite a few]but the one we saw in Rotorua was magic. The shows usually have some narrative,linking the story together,the Poi dance is superb and how often have you been "up close and personal"to a Haka? Rotorua is in itself an experience,geysers,bubbling hot mudpools and a strong smell of rotten egg gas.

We saw this concert in 2008. It was held in the village's "community hall", which was filled with hundreds of people. We were well down the back and saw little. It was too dark to even get a photo from that distance. I wasn't overly impressed, but maybe the format has changed since then. From memory Te Puia village was very popular....and dare I say, "touristy". The visit to the village's woodcarving/craft workshop was very interesting. Enjoy your time over here :).

kaseyoz: If you are doing a private tour a quick stop at the Blue and green lakes is worthwhile too.

http://www.rotorua-travel-secrets.co...s-rotorua.html

kaseyoz: Have not visited there but we did go to here.

http://www.whakarewarewa.com

It is run by the locals and the Maori show was only for about 20 people. They have time after for individual photos. Have a great one of dear mother in law with Maori warrior. You can also see the geyser from here.

KiwiFunCruiser: Even though we are New Zealander's' date=' we have been to a couple of shows when staying in a hotels a few years ago, and we found it quite entertaining. The attraction for us was to have the "Hangi" Maori dinner first then the show which to me was quite authentic and they usually invite up some guests to participate. I haven't seen the Te Puia show but have heard it is really good. Have a great cruise Terry, we arrive with the Solstice on Jan 17th, and I believe you get aboard on the 20th. [/quote']

Appreciate so much ALL of these helpful and other items, info tips, insights. Keep it coming. Will share this on our roll call for others considering their options in this area during our cruise stop. Have shared with one of my good friends about the wood/craft potentials here. He is very into those types of woodworking displays and crafts.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 147,303 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We went to the Te Puia centre in Rotorua a week or so ago. The Maori show was excellent. We were with a group of friends and we all really enjoyed the visit. Also at Te Puia there are hot springs, bubbling hot mud pools, live kiwis and an art centre where visitors can watch wood carving and a woman making the traditional Maori flax skirts.

We hired a car from Pegasus Car Hire and in Rotorua we also visited the blue and green lakes and drove around Rotorua.

We went to the Te Puia centre in Rotorua a week or so ago. The Maori show was excellent. We were with a group of friends and we all really enjoyed the visit. Also at Te Puia there are hot springs, bubbling hot mud pools, live kiwis and an art centre where visitors can watch wood carving and a woman making the traditional Maori flax skirts.

We hired a car from Pegasus Car Hire and in Rotorua we also visited the blue and green lakes and drove around Rotorua.

Also at Te Puia there are hot springs, bubbling hot mud pools, live kiwis and an art centre where visitors can watch wood carving and a woman making the traditional Maori flax skirts.

Based on this description, it sound similar to Whakerewarena which I have visited twice - once on a ships tour. Found it great & my understanding is that it is owned and operated by the local Maori, and so they benefit directly from the visitors $s.

Our group that cruised earlier this year considered that our NZ trip needed to include some geothermal and local culture aspects. This visit filled the bill nicely, albeit set up for tourists.

Oh and Terry, the Wh at the start of the word is pronounced F, just just be a bit careful how you pronounce it :D

In preparing for our Jan. 20-Feb. 3 Celebrity Solstice Sydney to Auckland Solstice cruise, I am debating for our Tauranga-Rotorua stop on whether at Te Puia to do the Maori culture/dance show . . . or not?? We have a group of seven couples from Central Ohio and want to research in advance in order to make the best, smart decisions.

From looking at the pictures from this program, plus reading some reviews, am getting very mixed/divided comments on the question for whether that program would be too "touristy" and/or fake. In talking with others in our group who have traveled much, these types of programs around the world sometimes seem to lack the "authentic" reflection of the culture and history. Just a question for if it is really worth the time and cost to do this 45-minute program??

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Kia ora i te Rotorua,

Te Puia had its beginnings as the Maori arts & crafts Institute 50 years ago and provides training for Maori carvers etc. It has evolved into Te Puia, probably the most visited attraction in Rotorua. As a local who has been to Te Puia I can assure you that Marae culture with its symbolism cultural and spiritual aspects which make Aotearoa unique is authentically presented by tangata whenua. For those with limited time Te Puia has the advantage of not only show casing Maori arts and carving, but promoting Maori culture with the added advantage of being situated in one of the many geo-thermal areas which abound in the region. Hope this helps. If you scroll back on the Australia New Zealand board you should also find a number of postings which will help.

Na

Mike

Based on this description, it sound similar to Whakerewarena which I have visited twice - once on a ships tour. Found it great & my understanding is that it is owned and operated by the local Maori, and so they benefit directly from the visitors $s.

Our group that cruised earlier this year considered that our NZ trip needed to include some geothermal and local culture aspects. This visit filled the bill nicely, albeit set up for tourists.

Oh and Terry, the Wh at the start of the word is pronounced F, just just be a bit careful how you pronounce it :D

Te Puia is next to Whakarewarewa. Years ago they were both part of the same establishment, but I understand that a tribal dispute led to the division. Te Puia got all the hot springs and the mud pools. Whakarewarewa is a village where Maori people live.

The famous Maori show is at Te Puia and that is where the Princess tours go. Our group enjoyed their visit immensely and I can recommend it.