Summit XMAs - Price Drop Frustration

IamJo

Booked the Summit for 12/21/13 last spring. Since then the prices continue to drop. Our travel agent upgraded us once, and they've dropped twice since. I'm unsure how much more we'd like to upgrade, so can we receive credit card refunds?

Thanks! Jo

This always leads to disappointments and is generally the policy of all the major cruise lines. Think of it like a clearance sale at the mall --- prices are low but are limited to the inventory that is left, you can't count on getting exactly what you want or that there is even anything left. Hopefully you can get an upgrade but if not, try not to let it eat away at you and spoil your trip, many others will be in the same boat (pardon the pun.)

Best thing is watch fares like a hawk up until final payment dates....and change as appropriate factoring the net cash cost in any existing freebies, discounts, or promotions which may no longer apply.

And while you monitor fares, always make a note someplace of the highest fare you ever see.

Then don't watch that old fare anymore and look instead for deals on higher category rooms...

When you sail, sit back on the cabin you hopefully upgrade to and and it ends up an overall fare less than the highest fare you saw on the standard cabin, so you can convince yourself now you got a super deal!

Edited by cle-guy

We were booked on that cruise in an OV category 6 with the beverage package from the 123 promotion at $999 per person, which we felt was a good price. Last week there was an exciting deal rate for an AQ guarantee for only $100 pp more, however we would have to give up our beverage package. We decided to do it, as we felt that the price of $1099 pp for AQ without the beverage package was a great price.

You just have to decide what price you are happy with, and go with it!

Iamjo, have you joined our roll call yet?

Edited by vplsh

I am in the same boat as you IamJo.Booked the xmas summit cruise for the whole family(7 of us)in the spring and has been quite upset seeing price drop every week.Called our TA a couple of times but nothing could be done as the lower prices apply to new bookings only.So frustrated and disappointed too.

The travel agency $999 suite guarantees are all gone, but they are still offering the XC concierge class guarantees for $899 and XA Aqua Class guarantees for $1049 on the 12/21 Summit cruise, with prepaid gratuities included.

It is worth checking out agency prices and receiving TA mail offers because they often have lower prices than what is shown on the cruise line's own site.

Hope you all reflect on your luck. Here in the UK bookings are final. Once booked if prices drop then tough. Either cancel and lose your deposit or pay to upgrade. And get this, our fares are higher too.
I was just looking at the website of one of the major US cruise travel agencies that offers good deals on Celebrity cruises.

Their website has a page for International Cruise Clients with phone numbers for contacting them from countries outside the United States.

Down below it lists the names of a number of cruise lines that prohibit U.S. travel agencies from selling cruises to customers who do not have a residence in the U.S. or Canada.

I noticed that Celebrity was not on the prohibited list, so out of curiosity I decided to call and ask.

The answer was yes, they do sell Celebrity cruises to international customers, at the same prices.

I recall that some other Cruise Critic members who live outside the USA have previously posted that they book their cruises using US travel agencies.

But whether or not a US travel agency will have different cancellation or price drop rules for international clients, I do not know.

Booked the Summit for 12/21/13 last spring. Since then the prices continue to drop. Our travel agent upgraded us once, and they've dropped twice since. I'm unsure how much more we'd like to upgrade, so can we receive credit card refunds?

Thanks! Jo

We have upgraded when we notice the price drops significantly. Since we upgraded on the same sailing, even though we paid in full, we were able to keep the drink package and other perks we originally received a year earlier when booking on board. We have sailings coming up in Jan and are also awaiting a price drop. Unless it is very significant- would never jeopardize the drink package which IMO is worth more then a little space on board. Unless the price was terrific for an upgrade from CC to a suite.

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm kind of new to how upgrades work after final payment and I would appreciate your help to clarify things for me.Suppose I paid 999$ for an OV cabin but after final payment the price for a balcony cabin has an offer price of 990$ pp.I was told that I cannot be upgraded because it's a promotion and is applied for new bookings only.Now if an aqua cabin is 1050$ can I pay the difference to upgrade to the aqua class even though it's also on a promotional offer.I have booked without any perks.

Thank you all for your help.

I'm kind of new to how upgrades work after final payment and I would appreciate your help to clarify things for me.Suppose I paid 999$ for an OV cabin but after final payment the price for a balcony cabin has an offer price of 990$ pp.I was told that I cannot be upgraded because it's a promotion and is applied for new bookings only.Now if an aqua cabin is 1050$ can I pay the difference to upgrade to the aqua class even though it's also on a promotional offer.I have booked without any perks.

Last year, I upgraded a week after I made a final payment to my credit card TA. She was able to get me the upgrade and I didn't loose the free drink package I had. This year, if I want to upgrade on my Jan cruise- I was told I would have to forfeit the drink package. If the number gets low enough, it will pay.

I also called Celebrity directly. The advised me that if you book a new cruise on board for example via Celebrity and a drink package comes available, or upgrades you will be allowed to combine perks.

As always, I will book another cruise in January, when I board for 2015. I want to hear what the rep advises me in person.

Bottom line is the bottom line!

Edited by Cruise a holic

Seems to upgrade and keep things, you need to upgrade cabin category and price. You can not upgrade cabin category that is now less $ than what you paid, even if you say, I don't want a refund. The new cabin must be $1 or higher and a better cabin type.

The issue is not about paying more, it's about the price code on the booking. The 123 promotion or pick your perk promotion was tied to what was called Five Star rates (which are just undiscounted rates). They are now called Standard rates.

If you upgrade under a non-Standard rate (resident, exciting deal, etc.) then you are supposed to have the perk removed. It's not compatible with the discounted rate. However, people are reporting different results, with some X phone agents telling them they can keep the perk, and others saying absolutely not.

I think it just remains to be seen what actually happens when people who had the perk, then upgraded to a non standard rate and were told they could retain their perk, actuallly get on board.

I have been told that I will have to forfeit my future bookings credit in order to upgrade. I guess it depends on your standing in the Captains Club. When I booked my future cruise credit on my last trip nothing like this was explained. So not right Celebrity or for any of the other cruise lines to do whatever whenever for some guests and not others.

Edited by Piscesgirl20003

I have been told that I will have to forfeit my future bookings credit in order to upgrade. I guess it depends on your standing in the Captains Club. When I booked my future cruise credit on my last trip nothing like this was explained. So not right Celebrity or for any of the other cruise lines to do whatever whenever for some guests and not others.

Are you sure, The open passages and other booking forms onboard seem to have very simple restriction language on the bottom of the front of the form, they basically say can't be combined with other offers or discounts. Not even buried in fine print on the back or in the following 13 pages....

Thanks! Jo

I'm sailing on the 14th. I noticed that my cruise is on sale, but when I pull up the price it looks to be far less than what I paid. Called Celebrity and was told that I need to contact the TA, because the price on the website is for new bookings only and not for upgrades of existing reservations. I'm so confused.