This time I really don't know how to pack (BA)

Bluegirl

We are flying from Colorado to New York and arrive late Thursday night, then will take a taxi to a hotel in Midtown. We will spend Friday and Saturday in the city, and I already have tickets to see "Matilda" and "Kinky Boots." On Sunday noonish, we board the Breakway and then head for Florida and the Bahamas.

Whoa! How to pack? I am a seasoned cruiser−this is cruise #15 or #16−but never have I flown from Rocky Mountain winter to East Coast winter, spent two days in the big city, gone out to the theatah, then boarded a ship in a cold climate! We usually cruise out of Florida because that's where most of the choices are, though we've also done Galveston, Nola and San Diego−all balmy ports compared to where we live.

I thought I had refined my packing list over the years, but what with spending time in a cold city and going out at night and then cruising in the chill, I am totally at my wit's end! I want to look nice (enough) for NYC, but I also want, finally, to stop overpacking! I am a terrible overpacker.

I will close by adding that I'm also packing for two boys, 10 and 8 years old. They tend to tear through the clean clothes on cruises, and would dirty up 3-4 outfits a day if I let them.

So, who's willing to give me the rundown of their packing list? How many outfits do you pack? How many pairs of shoes? One fancy outfit? Two? None at all?! Does anyone else "do" Manhattan before cruising?? (It's a once-in-a-quarter-century opportunity for the likes of us−and I'm a huge theater aficionado. Last time I saw a Broadway show as in the 1980s!)

Help!!

Hi

Have cruised 11 times Ill be on the BA 12/1 week after you - wow you are going to have a great trip! I'm from CT and love NYC but it will be cold so keep that in mind and cold first night of cruise too. Clothes for theatre can also work for "dressy clothes" on ship and luckily they have a laundry service which I think you'll need with the kids and the fact that you're flying! Just bring mix and match items too that will help. I always overpack but am fortunately not packing but I'd rather have too much than not enough!!

Have a great trip!

Hi there.

Getting pretty cold here in NYC.

In the 30s and windy at night. I would say bring winter coats for sure.

Weekend will be cold. Sunday morning will be about 28.

Have a great time and happy cruising!!

~robin and brian

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2008

Previous poster is right, temps this weekend will be coooold. We'll be on the same cruise. Since I'm not sure what to expect I'm thinking layers. Not planning to bring a winter coat but will bring a fall jacket with a scarf and gloves. Will have some sundresses but will bring a sweater along in case it's cold. Some T's and capri's but a few sweatshirts as well. I'm hoping for warm sunny skies!

Enjoy your trip!

Dont know where in CO you are coming from - but the temps here are "early winter"come this weekend; growing up and living in NY area - and a diehard NCL cruiser - the theater in NYC is very casual these days - as are the restaurants in the midtown area - so unless you want to get all dressed up - business casual is fine and the plus side is you can build on lighter outfits you can use at night on the cruise by layering with sweaters while in NYC - remember the days the sun is shining this time of year - the temp during the day can be quite fall like and the minute the sun goes down you will need a winter coat...so think layering and you will be fine

and heres my 2cents on overpacking as I have been steadily improving over the last 3 years (ask my husband - my bags stay well under the weight limits these days!)

I make a slip of paper for each day I am traveling - then lay out each item I am likely to use each day including travel days - helps me search out multiuse tops and bottoms from my closet - so that same cute jacket I use on Night 1 - I can use with something else on Nite 3 and 5 and no one really notices (not my husband and who else will remember anyway - not my kids either...lol) So I have gotten over the "dress to impress" uniquely every nite and then when I have my daily slips covered! I PACK IT AND FORGET IT!

This sounds like so much fun to me. Being transplanted from Connecticut, we have done Broadway many times and the 9 day out of NYC, also.

Colorado will be chilly and so will NYC so plan on layers for both.

NYC weather can be crazy so keep tabs on the forecast, we had an amazing sail away watching snow flakes.

The theater can be dress pants and sweaters for all of you so no big deal with that, you will probably have them anyway.

This sounds like a perfect vacation for you with the boys, so much to see in NYC it may be bigger than the cruise.

Can't wait to hear about it.

Lynda

Honestly, you can wear jeans to the theaters in NYC as long as it's not an opening night or a gala event. When we saw Cindarella in March there was everything from formal evening wear to tourists in sweats, and the majority were in jeans/khakis. No one will care what you look like in the theater.

Honestly, you can wear jeans to the theaters in NYC as long as it's not an opening night or a gala event. When we saw Cindarella in March there was everything from formal evening wear to tourists in sweats, and the majority were in jeans/khakis. No one will care what you look like in the theater.

I agree. So many people in the theater are tourists, who've been running around all day - be comfortable.

Thanks for all the replies. Jordans Mom, the slips of paper are a great idea to combat overpacking.

Where we live, it's winter 9 months of the year, and that means snow on the ground most of the time and temperatures below 0 at night. But I'm always coldest on the East Coast, where the cold is damp-deep-in-your-bones cold!

Anyway, we're all packed (we fly in the morning), though I can't say I am traveling light this time, either!

gone out to the theatah,

I love that part. You sound like a Noo Yaw-kah. :D

I do agree with other poster. The theatah district is not as fancy as it once was. Dark rinse jeans and pumps work well as "dressed up"

We are flying from Colorado to New York and arrive late Thursday night, then will take a taxi to a hotel in Midtown. We will spend Friday and Saturday in the city, and I already have tickets to see "Matilda" and "Kinky Boots." On Sunday noonish, we board the Breakway and then head for Florida and the Bahamas.

Whoa! How to pack? I am a seasoned cruiser−this is cruise #15 or #16−but never have I flown from Rocky Mountain winter to East Coast winter, spent two days in the big city, gone out to the theatah, then boarded a ship in a cold climate! We usually cruise out of Florida because that's where most of the choices are, though we've also done Galveston, Nola and San Diego−all balmy ports compared to where we live.

I thought I had refined my packing list over the years, but what with spending time in a cold city and going out at night and then cruising in the chill, I am totally at my wit's end! I want to look nice (enough) for NYC, but I also want, finally, to stop overpacking! I am a terrible overpacker.

I will close by adding that I'm also packing for two boys, 10 and 8 years old. They tend to tear through the clean clothes on cruises, and would dirty up 3-4 outfits a day if I let them.

So, who's willing to give me the rundown of their packing list? How many outfits do you pack? How many pairs of shoes? One fancy outfit? Two? None at all?! Does anyone else "do" Manhattan before cruising?? (It's a once-in-a-quarter-century opportunity for the likes of us−and I'm a huge theater aficionado. Last time I saw a Broadway show as in the 1980s!)

Help!!

t-shirts for the hot weather with long sleeve shirts to wear under the t-shirts in the cold weather~