Is Triumph really as bad as some reviews are saying?

jsgarner19

We were on the Triumph in Jan (before the fire) and then again in Sept. The Triumph is still my favorite ship, alot of it has to do with the friendliness of the crew. We loved all the updates and didn't notice a "smell."

Enjoy your trip, wish I were going again!

I'm booked to go on Triumph in 13 days (Dec 2,2013) and will review when I get back. But curious to those who have sailed Triumph since 2.0 and after the engine fire cruise, is it as bad as some are letting on? I'm sure that it's a lot of "people only complain, and rarely compliment", but being on a review website, I just get a lot of negative from the new Triumph. I am excited and not in the least bit concerned about it, and am sure that I will have a great time, so if it's bad, it's not because I'm going in with a negative thought in mind.

I have done a lot of digging and really thought I would see more positive than negative, just wondering.

Thanks all

Jim

Considering the triumph has been the #1 ship for 2 months straight based on guest reviews, I wouldn't worry about the negative reviews here.

I find it hard to believe that actually read comment cards. Because I haven't gotten any in a long time, actual comment cards, and especially for the Dream and because after our email survey, people still appear to be indicating that the Dream service is still horrendous. Case in point, the waiter giving the guest double 'birds' when they took a photo of them.

So because of ONE waiter, the dream service is horrendous? doubt that. When I did the survey of my dream cruise back in august, the service wasn't horrendous. different people, different opinions

my favorite ship of all time was the Ecstasy out of Galveston. I'm sailing on the Triumph next week and hoping to love it as much. The Ecstasy got similar "bad" reviews as the Triumph. Both are smaller & older so they might not be to everyone's tastes. I'll wave to you as I'm debarking and I bet we both have fabulous trips!

We just sailed the Triumph last week and all 6 of us loved it and would not hesitate to sail her again.

Much smaller ship, never waited longer than 2-3 minutes at Guys, Blue Iguana or the buffet line.

I agree with everyone else that fleetwide Carnival has fewer waiters in the main dining room but it didn't affect our experience at all. We were waiting on very quickly every night I just noticed that there were fewer waiters and they were moving very quickly through many tables.

Have a great time!!

So because of ONE waiter, the dream service is horrendous? doubt that. When I did the survey of my dream cruise back in august, the service wasn't horrendous. different people, different opinions

Our experience wasn't one waiter, although in one case, my waiter did shove his finger in my face and shush me, which is a first for me for rudeness. It was just about all the servers, whether MDR or out and about or in the buffet. It was lousy service. I wasn't the one that had the photo of the waiter giving them the bird, that was someone else on this forum. It just expresses how the servers feel about the guests. It is well known that people on this forum blame unhappy critics for their bad experience. Heaven forbid the service just was bad. I'm sure you are just following suit, but it doesn't change my experience. Just sayin.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

I will also be on the Triumph on December 2nd. I can not wait! I was on the Triumph in January and enjoyed myself very much. I have been looking for reviews since then but mostly only found the ones from when she first sailed again. I was wondering why no one seemed to be reviewing and then like you I found a few bad ones. I intend to have the best time with my brother who is so cruise clueless that just last night he asked me "where do I have to sign up to see the comedy show and do I have to sign up before 9 am". If it looks/feels anything like it did this past January we will have a blast!

I'm booked to go on Triumph in 13 days (Dec 2,2013) and will review when I get back. But curious to those who have sailed Triumph since 2.0 and after the engine fire cruise, is it as bad as some are letting on? I'm sure that it's a lot of "people only complain, and rarely compliment", but being on a review website, I just get a lot of negative from the new Triumph. I am excited and not in the least bit concerned about it, and am sure that I will have a great time, so if it's bad, it's not because I'm going in with a negative thought in mind.

I have done a lot of digging and really thought I would see more positive than negative, just wondering.

Thanks all

Jim

We loved it and I posted a review stating such. Guys and Blue Iguana were great, ship was clean and crew was awesome. We weren't crazy about our MDR waiter but he was the only one that needed a little attitude adjustment. Unfortunately with most things in life the people that want to complain respond more than the ones that were totally satisfied. But nothing to worry about, the ship looks great. Have fun!

Thanks all

Jim

Thanks all for the responses. I know that she has some good reviews too, and rated very well, but the bad reviews were really bad, which makes me think that maybe those people just were determined to NOT have a good time.

I think going on a cruise and not having an expectation of not having some sort of a good time is ridiculous.

Have a great day all!

Jim

The Triumph (pre 2.0 upgrades) is my least favorite ship of the cruises that I have been on. The Victory, which is a sister ship to the Triumph, is only marginally better.

I much preferred the Dream and even the Imagination to the Triumph class. Even Paradise was better, although appeared much more dated than the Imagination due to having not received Evolutions of Fun upgrades as the older Fantasy class ships did.

If you have your heart set on a 4 or 5 day cruise to Cozumel and Progreso (why anyone would want to go to Progreso is beyond me!), I'd make the drive to New Orleans and cruise on Elation instead of taking the Triumph out of Galveston.

Just my two cents.

I was on triumph in jan, so pre updates, and she was a fine ship. I had a good time. We leave again on saturday on her, so I'll let ya know how she is post updates. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Cruised after the return to service and we felt the crew was the best in several years. As usual the wait staff could not be beat but the room steward was the best in many years. He or his assistant seemed to always be in the hall way and would ask if you needed anything else. I could see why they would be getting first for service, usually it is a ship out of Galveston. The Ecstasy use to be able to keep the title. Have been told that the crew likes sailing out of Texas for the passengers treat them better. When that happens you will be getting better treatment from the crew.

We did a last minute Triumph cruise about 6 weeks ago. The whole ship was not refurbished, but they cleaned it up pretty darn well!

MDR: Staff reductions caused the wait staff to be rushed...but it was not a real problem.

The passenger base made for a very lively and fun atmosphere. The additions to the pool deck really were a great idea.

My only ongoing complaint: DJ on the pool deck...rap music and the Caribbean just do not mix!

Cabin steward was on the money.

Just trying to figure out what was "wrong" and why you would be concerned!

Go, have fun...worry not!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Cruised after the return to service and we felt the crew was the best in several years. As usual the wait staff could not be beat but the room steward was the best in many years. He or his assistant seemed to always be in the hall way and would ask if you needed anything else. I could see why they would be getting first for service, usually it is a ship out of Galveston. The Ecstasy use to be able to keep the title. Have been told that the crew likes sailing out of Texas for the passengers treat them better. When that happens you will be getting better treatment from the crew.

This.

When we were on triumph last week our server said she always requests a ship sailing out of galveston bc of the passengers from texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To all the people who complain about stupid things, shut up. The ship was great. The staff was really attentive. I enjoyed the 2.0 upgrades. And we didn't notice any major issues that would make me feel like I wouldn't want to be on the triumph.

Any issues that came up were so minuscule to not even warrant bringing them up here or in a review.

I will be posting my review when we get home, now to get out of this horrible mess of a ice storm that hit dallas.

We had an amazing time and didn't notice anything awry. Our cruise director was wonderful and the food and service was outstanding! Be careful driving home. We got stuck in Plano last night trying to make our way home to Oklahoma City.

Yeah 75 is shut down now. North of Plano. We just got turned around at van alstyne. If you haven't left yet, check on that. We are heading east to Greenville, the 67 to little rock. Good luck and be safe. It's gross out here. We stopped in McKinney to eat before we try east.

To all the people who complain about stupid things, shut up. The ship was great. The staff was really attentive. I enjoyed the 2.0 upgrades. And we didn't notice any major issues that would make me feel like I wouldn't want to be on the triumph.

Any issues that came up were so minuscule to not even warrant bringing them up here or in a review.

I will be posting my review when we get home, now to get out of this horrible mess of a ice storm that hit dallas.

Glad to hear you had a great cruise!

If you hang out at Cruise Critic enough, you'll find certain user names that you'll train yourself to simply dismiss their posts as they have a "not so hidden" agenda. Wise people aren't fooled by it.