Barcelona Cruise Port Hotels

travellers12

Hi, This is my first time signing in (although I have been reading Cruise Critic advise for a long time. )

I am staying only 1 night prior to my cruise, and I need a hotel that is not expensive, and the transportation from hotel to port is also inexpensiv. I did check the rates at the Renaiisance hotel, and also the Art hotel, which is a Ritz Carlton. They are both expensive, but they are good locations. I am booked at the Best Western Alfa Aeropuerto, and I am trying to find the fare from the hotel to the port. Anyone know if its close?

Also, Does anyone know if NCL Spirit has self laundry facilities?

Thanks,

The New Traveller

Hi, This is my first time signing in (although I have been reading Cruise Critic advise for a long time. )

I am staying only 1 night prior to my cruise, and I need a hotel that is not expensive, and the transportation from hotel to port is also inexpensiv. I did check the rates at the Renaiisance hotel, and also the Art hotel, which is a Ritz Carlton. They are both expensive, but they are good locations. I am booked at the Best Western Alfa Aeropuerto, and I am trying to find the fare from the hotel to the port. Anyone know if its close?

Thanks,

The New Traveller

You seem to be focused so much on hotel and transportation costs, you seem to have overlooked any attempt to see the fabulous city of Barcelona. Have you visited the city many times before?

Even then, you and I would come to different conclusions about an airport hotel VS a city hotel. I'd never pass up an opportunity to spend even a night in this wonderful city -- eating a tapas meal and taking an evening stroll.

A bit of research will turn up more affordable city hotels.

Thanks,

The New Traveller

Hi New Traveller...

For that info, you should find answers quickly on the NCL boards here on CC....

We have stayed in Barcelona a number of times, at various Hiltons, The Arts Hotel and at the airport. Believe the hotels at the airport are only a 15-20 minute taxi ride to the port, very close. Also there is an airport bus that one can take to the city, if you wish to go in and visit Barcelona on your day of arrival if you stay at the airport. Barcelona is a wonderful city to visit. We are returning again in April, will be staying out side the city - at a seaside area over Easter.

I've stayed at Hotel Continental twice. It is less than €100 and a few doors down from Placa Catalunya. Yes it is very pink but the location is great. You can take the aerobus from the airport to Placa catalunya for around €6. A cab to the port is about 15-20 euros. A less expensive option is to walk from the hotel to the Columbus statue. And then take the port bus.

This year I am staying across las Ramblas from the continental at Hotel Lloret. It has great reviews on tripadvisor and is a bit less expensive. If only there one night, I would stay in the city.

Dena

... Believe the hotels at the airport are only a 15-20 minute taxi ride to the port, very close. Also there is an airport bus that one can take to the city, if you wish to go in and visit Barcelona on your day of arrival if you stay at the airport. Barcelona is a wonderful city to visit...

You're absolutely right that the distance between the airport and the city isn't great, although the Aerobus web site states the time is 35 minutes rather than your 15-20.

Since we agree that Barcelona is a wonderful city to visit, I'd rather take the money I might have spent on a taxi or the Aerobus for trip into the city and apply that money to an in-city hotel location. Definitely a case of Your Mileage May Vary.

We just stayed at the Hotel Canton. If you want a budget hotel near the Ramblas and walking distance to the port, this should be a good fit. Not fancy but clean and friendly. Family run.

See Tripadviso:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g187497-d634631-Reviews-Hotel_Canton-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

We booked direct and got a very good price.

http://en.hotelcanton-bcn.com

I also vote for staying in the city rather than an airport hotel.

On the morning before we boarded the ship we were able to walk the Gothic quarter, visit the cathedral, St Catherine's market and the other church. I think it is called Santa Maria del Mar. [all for free]

Then we got out luggage and went to the port. Think of it as a low cost excursion.

Thanks,

The New Traveller

Recently, someone mentioned a B & B near the port that was reasonable and they really enjoyed it. Perhaps if you search around, you can find it. We stayed at the Hotel Colon which is rather pricey. It's sister hotel, the Regencia, is much less expensive. Wonderful location.

We stayed at Hotel Denit pre and post cruise and really liked it. Very close to Placa de Catalunya so you could use the aero bus if you want as well as the metro and other public transportation. Cab to the port was around 15 euro.

This hotel is quite different by American standards. Look at the photos on the website before you book. The rooms are smaller and done in an IKEA style. The shower/toilet space is separated from the rest of the room by a frosted glass wall so might be uncomfortable for some. We brought our own bar of soap because they provide shower gel.

But on the other hand we had great staff who were quite helpful, a decent breakfast that was included, a great location and a good price (under 90 euro a night) when we booked on line from their website (although we were also off season in November). The rooms were clean and they let us check in early once they had a room ready. They also had a luggage room so we could go look around while we waited for our room and free wifi.

• 1 month later...

We stayed at the Hotel Regina. Absolutely loved everything about it. The staff was wonderful & very helpful. They had free wifi too. One of the things I loved was that it was around the corner from las Rambles & we could walk to the main station for the HOHO bus. We took a taxi from the airport & to the cruise port. If you don't have a ton of luggage you could walk to the port from the hotel. We saw many people pulling their luggage down the street.

We stayed at the Hotel Regina. Absolutely loved everything about it. The staff was wonderful & very helpful. They had free wifi too. One of the things I loved was that it was around the corner from las Rambles & we could walk to the main station for the HOHO bus. We took a taxi from the airport & to the cruise port. If you don't have a ton of luggage you could walk to the port from the hotel. We saw many people pulling their luggage down the street.

My bold ^^

Unless you are on a very small ship (which would dock by Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel) the walk from the Hotel Regina to the port is about 3 miles and over the large bridge. I would say that, for most people, that is a long way to walk even with only a small amount of luggage.

Maybe the people you saw with luggage were not going to the port. Maybe they were walking to the port shuttle bus which is about a mile from the hotel.

For 15-20 euros you can get a taxi door to door.

I would rather stay in BCN then at the airport. You can easily find lots of inexpensive hotels in BCN. Some of those hotels have been mentioned here already. Another hotel worth looking into is Hotel Curious just off La Rambla. Other fun hotels are the Cheap & Basic hotels with 2 or 3 hotels in BCN.

As for walking to the port; well, that will be to far with to much traffic. A taxi from the La Rambla area is no more than €15,- with luggage.

There are many options for transportation from the El Prat airport.

Taxi - approx 20-30 minutes and will cost €25.....

You can also take the regular bus (TMB) or the airport bus (Aerobus). The cost for the regular bus is €2.15 , compared to €5.90 on the Aerobus.

This is the stops on the No 46 Bus:

TMB No. 46 Bus Stops From Barcelona Airport:

Airport, T1

Airport, T2B

Airport, T2C

Autovia Castelldefels

Avenida Granvia

Hospital Oncologíc

Ciencies

Centre Commercial - Gran Via 2

Centra del Prat

Granvia

Plaça Espanya

Avenida Paral.lel

If you find a hotel close to one of the stops you are able to get to the city very inexpensively.

You can also catch the metro from many of these stops to a hotel.....

You might also find shared transportation from the airport to the city. A good idea would be to check out on your roll call.

There is a shared minibus transfer from the airport to your hotel. The cost is €10.30 pp.

Here is a link:

http://partner.city-discovery.com/airport-shuttle/en/PID3255/barcelona/TID396-Barcelona_Airport_Shuttle

The NCL Spirit does not have a self service laundry facility.

I love BCN so make sure you spend your time in the city exploring this great city instead of staying at an airport hotel:)

Useful links:

http://www.tmb.cat/en/home

http://www.barcelona-travelguide.com/images/practical/metroplan.jpg

http://www.hotelcurious.com/

http://www.chicandbasic.com/en

http://www.atriumhotels.com/en/

Edited by I-Cruiser

• 2 weeks later...
You're absolutely right that the distance between the airport and the city isn't great, although the Aerobus web site states the time is 35 minutes rather than your 15-20.

Since we agree that Barcelona is a wonderful city to visit, I'd rather take the money I might have spent on a taxi or the Aerobus for trip into the city and apply that money to an in-city hotel location. Definitely a case of Your Mileage May Vary.

The time differences may vary as you state. I have done taxis to and from the port and airport and the airporter bus. The airport bus goes in a different direction to the city center and makes stops, so that could change the time.

Staying at an in city hotel is definitely an option, we have done that as well at the two Hiltons and the Hotel Arts. Just depends on ones budget and needs.

Have a great time in Barcelona. We love Barcelona... have been there about 5 times, stayed a week once and going again in April over Easter. Hotel rates during Easter are very high, so we elected to stay at the airport and will take the airporter bus in to enjoy the city.

Have just spent a few days in Barcelona after not having visited for many years. We stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer, about 50m from Plaza Catalunya, we couldn't have been more central. The hotel cost !00 Euros on BB, good value for the location and we couldn't fault the hotel. We took the airport bus which is 5.90 Euros for a single journey. It takes about half an hour and departs every 10 minutes. A taxi into the centre is 30 Euros.

If I was going on a cruise, even stopping in th centre of Barcelona, I would take a taxi to the port for the convenience.

• 4 weeks later...
We just stayed at the Hotel Canton. If you want a budget hotel near the Ramblas and walking distance to the port, this should be a good fit. Not fancy but clean and friendly. Family run.

See Tripadviso:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g187497-d634631-Reviews-Hotel_Canton-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

We booked direct and got a very good price.

http://en.hotelcanton-bcn.com

Thanks so much for your information.

I booked a double for my wife and I for this October and am saving 30+ Euro a Night and am close to the Port. We have been in Barcelona for one day in the past - so this recommendation is absolutely fabulous for us.

Michael