Just checking - men's mdr attire

joyce&bob

I agree people get away with unacceptable attire on Formal Night and other nights. :( In my opinion, shorts are for the daytime wear and can be permitted for breakfast or lunch but not for dinner in the MDR. There once was a time when I was turned away to have breakfast in the MDR wearing shorts. I respected that and for the remainder of the cruise I came in trousers. If the Maître' d were to send more people up to the Lido Buffet when they come in casual clothes then people would dress more appropriately. Rules should be followed and it's not like anybody is going to starve if they are sent to the buffet.:D

But according to CCL, if a person wears shorts on cruise casual nights, they are following the rules. No need to be turned away.

I will add that I don't wear shorts to eat dinner in the MDR on cruise casual evenings, but could care less if others do.

[/color]

But according to CCL, if a person wears shorts on cruise casual nights, they are following the rules. No need to be turned away.

I will add that I don't wear shorts to eat dinner in the MDR on cruise casual evenings, but could care less if others do.

I did not realize the rules had changed. If shorts at Dinner are permitted by CCL rules then you are right. No need to turn them away. It's a shame however because the same people who show up in shorts for late dining in the MDR are likely to dress the same way on Formal Night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Having just reviewed the CCL dress code quoted on this thread I see it says "dress (long) shorts" which some will interpret to mean ANY shorts. There lies the problem. Only dress shorts are allowed at dinner (all other kinds of shorts are not appropriate) It would be more simple to ask that no shorts be worn at dinner time.

The dress code has become much more casual on the cruise ships as it has in life over the years. I remember when every night men wore a sport coat and slacks, at least, to dinner on a ship and we women wore cocktail dresses. Such is not the case any more. altho I can also remember when we dressed--men in suits, women in church finery-no slacks-- to fly on the airplane. Now the only people i see dressed up flying is someone for business because they have a meeting when they get off.

I used to think I would never be comfortable seeing men in shorts in the dining room, but now if they adhere to the dress code and wear long, not athletic shorts and a decent shirt, I find I don't mind.

I think perhaps we should all dress for ourselves and as long as the rules set out by the ship are followed we should be able to eat in peace.

The dress code has become much more casual on the cruise ships as it has in life over the years. I remember when every night men wore a sport coat and slacks, at least, to dinner on a ship and we women wore cocktail dresses. Such is not the case any more. altho I can also remember when we dressed--men in suits, women in church finery-no slacks-- to fly on the airplane. Now the only people i see dressed up flying is someone for business because they have a meeting when they get off.

I used to think I would never be comfortable seeing men in shorts in the dining room, but now if they adhere to the dress code and wear long, not athletic shorts and a decent shirt, I find I don't mind.

I think perhaps we should all dress for ourselves and as long as the rules set out by the ship are followed we should be able to eat in peace.

And we have a winner. Dress for ourselves and not be as concerned with how others are dressed.

I've never seen a dressy sweater for a man.

Or dressy shorts, for that matter.

As long as you have pants and a dress short for formal night you are fine, more dressed this way than suits and ties, I stopped bringing a suit years ago, no need to pay for overpriced pics now kids are older

My father dressed for dinner every day at home all the way into the 60's. Minimum was a long sleeve shirt/tie and sweater vest.

Folks that was 50 years ago! Lets move on....

Edited by MikeM

I dont understand this response that shorts are not acceptable.. Carnival dress code says that shorts are fine to wear except on elegant night, so if Carnival has it acceptable it is... People do not get away with wearing shorts, as its allowed...

What's proper and what's allowed are two different things. Stylistically, when dining at a table with a white tablecloth, cloth napkins, formal cutlery, and servers in formal attire, the people dining should attempt to match the dining room in apparel, don't you think? That said, slacks and a collared shirt would be appropriate. How much trouble would that be to don?

If complete informality is what's desired, how about the buffet? Shorts and flip-flops fit in well there with the formica tabletops, rolled cutlery, plastic cups, and Melmac dishes.

Edited by LaJollaCruiser

What's proper and what's allowed are two different things. Stylistically, when dining at a table with a white tablecloth, cloth napkins, formal cutlery, and servers in formal attire, the people dining should attempt to match the dining room in apparel, don't you think? That said, slacks and a collared shirt would be appropriate. How much trouble would that be to don?

If complete informality is what's desired, how about the buffet? Shorts and flip-flops fit in well there with the formica tabletops, rolled cutlery, plastic cups, and Melmac dishes.

My name is arush5268d, and I approve this message!

We dine at the Steakhouse on Elegant Nights and there are no table cloths, just bare tops.

We dine at the Steakhouse on Elegant Nights and there are no table cloths, just bare tops.

Do mean the little black cocktail dress with bare shoulders? LOL. For the lady that's very nice but the gentleman should be in a suit on Formal night. MDR or Steakhouse.

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

I understand the logic..... However I don't understand why people suggest the buffet as an alternative. We don't care for the buffet. We like to sit down as a family and be served. The food is also better in the MDR. But we don't like to dress up. We are casual but it shouldn't mean we can't enjoy the MDR.

I understand the logic..... However I don't understand why people suggest the buffet as an alternative. We don't care for the buffet. We like to sit down as a family and be served. The food is also better in the MDR. But we don't like to dress up. We are casual but it shouldn't mean we can't enjoy the MDR.

You should be able to enjoy. Dress according to the guidelines and ignore the Fashion Police.:D

Casual can still look presentable. I would not go to a fine dining restaurant or go to a friend's house for dinner in cut off jeans and T-shirt. We are guests of the cruise ship and to dine in their MDR we should dress according to the atmosphere in that room. Cruise guests are also invited to the "backyard pool side bar-b-que" on Lido Deck where the dress code is "wear something, anything-as long as you're not naked". We can chose which dinner invite to accept.

It's your cruise....dress how you feel comfortable. You're not on vacation to please anyone else.

I finished packing today for our back to back cruises. I will be wearing jeans and a nice 3/4 length sleeve lightweight shirt. That's what I'm comfortable wearing so that's what got packed

Do mean the little black cocktail dress with bare shoulders? LOL. For the lady that's very nice but the gentleman should be in a suit on Formal night. MDR or Steakhouse.

When Carnival re institutes formal nights I'll wear a suit.:)

Bill

It depends what you're looking for. If you seek approval from all your fellow diners, then dress appropriately. If you truly care not what others think of you, then wear shorts.

It seems to me that with these ongoing arguments about "dress codes" the goal is to gain approval for one's dress, no matter how casual. These posts are a not-so-subtle way of demanding that others approve.

It depends what you're looking for. If you seek approval from all your fellow diners, then dress appropriately. If you truly care not what others think of you, then wear shorts.

It seems to me that with these ongoing arguments about "dress codes" the goal is to gain approval for one's dress, no matter how casual. These posts are a not-so-subtle way of demanding that others approve.

For some time now I have felt that the people that ask about jeans / shorts / sandals / etc are seeking approval / validation because they know they are under dressing or skirting the edge of the dress code.

The old rule always applies - when it doubt it is always best to dress on the high side instead of the low side. Also, err on the side of caution.

...or these days - dress like a slob and hope others will join you.