Which cruise ship/line offers the best HI experience?

Goldenfox

"Best" is a totally subjective, personal opinion. From Keith's totally personal point of view, Princess or Celebrity. From ours, Holland America.

Most people will say Hawaii is best seen on a land tour.

Do you have any cruise experience? On what cruise lines? That would help you compare those cruise line's style to your Mom's taste.

Speaking from experience the best way to see Hawaii is by land and not on a ship. We have done both. That being said POA from NCL offers the most stops in HI as they sail out of there. You have to fly to HI to catch the ship and could do a couple of days pre/post the cruise. A non starter for us as one experience with NCL was two too many. We don't like the line a bit but others swear by it. Just our preference. Both Celebrity and Princess offer sailings of 14-15 days from the mainland but you will spend 8 of those days in transit to/from the islands. If you don't like sea days then this is not the way to go. It boils down to what is more important to you. The cruising experience or seeing the islands. Only you can answer that one.

"Best" is a totally subjective, personal opinion. From Keith's totally personal point of view, Princess or Celebrity. From ours, Holland America.

Most people will say Hawaii is best seen on a land tour.

Do you have any cruise experience? On what cruise lines? That would help you compare those cruise line's style to your Mom's taste.

I've cruised Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Holland America, and I'm about to try Princess in a week. I absolutely loved Holland and it would be my first choice if not for it's very lengthy itinerary, I just can't be gone that long from work all at once.

My mom is just ecstatic being on a ship so she's not hard to please in that regard.

As for doing POA, I would probably spend as much as the cruise itself flying us both out to Honolulu R/T doubling my costs and from what I've heard, NCL isn't that great. We're not big on adventure and activities, just a little bit of sightseeing.

Sea days don't bother us much, it gives me a chance to unwind and relax and my mom finds things to do attending all the ship's activities.

From what I've read so far Princess seems well liked, anyone have experience with Carnival for this itinerary? Also what is Celebrity like?

Have sailed both but have pretty much settled into Princess now. Celebrity had one more dinner choice in the evening then Princess. I don't do desert and if I do it is normally another appetizer. DW swears the best deserts at sea are on Celebrity. For the most part I find the two very comparable and would cruise either in a heartbeat. Can't comment on Carnival as we don't cruise with them.

We did Hawaii on the Golden Princess. Just got of her a week ago and are heading back for 28 days 1 Apr. Hawaii again but then on to the South Pacific. If you choose Princess you can't go wrong with whatever ship Eula is on. Great husband and wife team that really add to the experience.

I've cruised Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Holland America, and I'm about to try Princess in a week. I absolutely loved Holland and it would be my first choice if not for it's very lengthy itinerary, I just can't be gone that long from work all at once.

HAL is doing this in the 14-16 day range just like everyone else. You can't do it in less than 14, without skipping islands.