Any recent Black Sea Cruisers?

alexandra cruiser

Trying to figure which ship,itinerary,price,etc.best.

Seems to be between Azamara and Oceania to see the majority of ports.

But 2014 on Azamara already sold out, O itinerary similar but ends up in Athens,not round trip Istanbul.So guess it ll be in 2015 but cant even find that on O website yet.Did on A,but price has REALLY gone up.

Have read a few comparisons,never been on A,but do LOVE Oceania.Have one booked for Dec.2014 and wanted to wait to book another onboard,but seems the may sell out in cabin I want before.??

Know they have ones on Seabourn and Silverseas,but DH refuses to wear formal clothes.Decisions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:confused:

Trying to figure which ship,itinerary,price,etc.best.

Seems to be between Azamara and Oceania to see the majority of ports.

But 2014 on Azamara already sold out, O itinerary similar but ends up in Athens,not round trip Istanbul.So guess it ll be in 2015 but cant even find that on O website yet.Did on A,but price has REALLY gone up.

Have read a few comparisons,never been on A,but do LOVE Oceania.Have one booked for Dec.2014 and wanted to wait to book another onboard,but seems the may sell out in cabin I want before.??

Know they have ones on Seabourn and Silverseas,but DH refuses to wear formal clothes.Decisions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:confused:

I just did the Azamara black sea cruise in August

Divine.

I preferred A's itinerary -- RT Istanbul

We did a Black Sea cruise on the Nautica in 2010 which went from Istanbul to Athens.It was a great cruise & sailing the Dardenelles & visiting Ephesus only enhaced the trip.I would certainly choose Instanbul/Athens over Instanbul return. I was very DETERMINED to approach Istanbul by sea & managed to find a Azamara Greek Island cruise that ended in Istanbul. My daughetr &I found 20 good reasons to justify it , booked it & then told my husband. That year Azamara only did the Bulgarian & Ukranian coast and did not circumnavigate the whole of the Black Sea. Of all of our cruises those 2 would be in the top 3.

My Sister and I did the Black Sea cruise this summer and thoroughly enjoyed it! We departed from Istanbul and finished in Athens. We spent a couple days prior to the cruise in Istanbul and would go back in a heartbeat! Sailing thru the Dardenalis (sp) and Bosporus was phenomenal! We had been to Athens a couple times, so we went straight to the airport from the ship.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Istanbul to Athens itinerary!

Charlotte

can you tell me how soon you booked this.?

We re on one in Dec.2014 and kind of hoped to book it onboard and get the deals(like we did this one).

We ve been to Athens and Istanbul also,but will probably book hotel in Istanbul 1 nite pre cruise due to airlines.Did you?With Oceania?

Then go home that same day from Athens,did you have any trouble getting to airport on time?

Was trying to determine which cruiseline,but Azamara fully booked for that one already for 2014.

Wish they d offer more cruise dates.

We booked the Black Sea cruise at least 18 months in advance (on the first day we could book it). We usually opt to book as sson as possible so we can get the cabin we want. While we were on the Black Sea cruise, we met with the Oceania Club Ambassadors and told them we had already booked the Midnight Sun cruise for August 2014. They gave us the on-board booking discount for our Midnight sun cruise.

We had no trouble getting to the airport in Athens. In Fact, I got us there so early the ticket counters were not open for our flight.:rolleyes: We did arrange a private taxi to pick us up at the cruise terminal and take us to the airport, but there were plenty of taxi's available.

We stayed 2 nights pre cruise at the Sari Konak. I highly recommend it! Great roof top terrace/bar/breakfat with a view of the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia. The hotel is a short 2 block from both.

I may have forgotten a couple questions, and if so, I will post a second reply.

Charlotte

would it be possible to just fly in that day,and get to ship?Guess I ll have to look into that,but probably not a good idea.Just we ve been to Istanbul a few times,did LOVE the sites,etc....but rather just by pass it this time.

Same with Athens,so good to know you had no trouble getting to airport and taxis right at port.

As I read this, sounds like :"been there done that "thing,sorry.;)

I would not risk flying in the day of embarkation just in case something goes wrong on the flights. But that is me. I totally understand not wanting to spend extra time in places you have visited a few time before, hence why we went straight to the airport in Athens.

I hope you enjoy the cruise. We definitely did!

Charlotte

Hi, we did the Black Sea a couple of years ago on Oceania - Istanbul to Athens. Spent an extra day in Istanbul and a whole day and overnight in Athens. We had a fabulous time. Haven't sailed on Azamara in a long time, but can tell you that Oceania did a great job at all the ports. And I think it would be interesting to see both cities and not a round trip. And if you need guides in any of the ports, let me know, I have some great ones. Arlene;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had to cancel this cruise in 2013.

Eagerly waiting for summer 2015 to open.

I made arrangements for small group private tours and the couples that went said all were great.

Will book again with the same companies.

Asking our TA to get group space so we can get Grats and other benefits.

Currently planning on doing this one in 2016, unless we work it in next year. Already doing AU and NZ in 2015 so probably the latter one. In 2013, they had an Istanbul to Istanbul that we considered doing a BtB with Athens to Istanbul. Trip sold out before we could get it booked. With the current schedule that is not an option. Be interesting to see what the future lineup holds. I've heard nothing but great reports on the 2013 cruise. There was quite abit of disgruntlement on the 2012 cruise, which held me back in booking 2013, but it looks as if O got those problems worked out.

Currently planning on doing this one in 2016, unless we work it in next year. Already doing AU and NZ in 2015 so probably the latter one. In 2013, they had an Istanbul to Istanbul that we considered doing a BtB with Athens to Istanbul. Trip sold out before we could get it booked. With the current schedule that is not an option. Be interesting to see what the future lineup holds. I've heard nothing but great reports on the 2013 cruise. There was quite abit of disgruntlement on the 2012 cruise, which held me back in booking 2013, but it looks as if O got those problems worked out.

Hi,

What date and ship for AU? What problems were reported for Black Sea in 2012?

Can't wait for the rest of summer 2015 to come out. We always book as soon as possible to get our preferred cabin location.

Hoping we will have no problems today with the NE storm as we are to fly thu ATL for our Caribbean cruise today.

Nana4x;

We're taking Marina on 2/5/15 for our AU and NZ cruise. Booked it the first day it opened up.

Most of the complaints on the 2012 Black Sea cruise were centered on the land tours ran both by Oceania and local tour companies. Things like going to construction sites, poor transportation, expensive while seeing very little on shore, etc., etc, I believe they got things worked out, it would be interesting to read a good post from any 2014 cruisers and their viewpoints of current conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
Had to cancel this cruise in 2013.

Eagerly waiting for summer 2015 to open.

I made arrangements for small group private tours and the couples that went said all were great.

Will book again with the same companies.

Asking our TA to get group space so we can get Grats and other benefits.

Hi Nana4x - we booked the September Oceania Black Sea cruise. Could you share the private excursion information if you don't mind? My email is sjenne2001atyahoo dot com if you prefer to email me. Thanks in advance!

Sue

Nana4x;

We're taking Marina on 2/5/15 for our AU and NZ cruise. Booked it the first day it opened up.

Most of the complaints on the 2012 Black Sea cruise were centered on the land tours ran both by Oceania and local tour companies. Things like going to construction sites, poor transportation, expensive while seeing very little on shore, etc., etc, I believe they got things worked out, it would be interesting to read a good post from any 2014 cruisers and their viewpoints of current conditions.

and interesting that 2015 has already almost booked up.Now thinking of 2016,whew,did NOT know it was so popular.

Passing on Black Sea till terrorist probs.not in news,as much.

Now if those on this yrs.cruise would post,right?

and interesting that 2015 has already almost booked up.Now thinking of 2016,whew,did NOT know it was so popular.

Passing on Black Sea till terrorist probs.not in news,as much.

Now if those on this yrs.cruise would post,right?

The 2015 summer cruises will not be on line to book till March.

AFIK only the 180 day around the world and other long 30 + day Grand Voyage segments are currently open for booking.

Will decide between Canana to NY or Black Sea on Oceania and a river cruise on Uniworld once the summer 2015 cruises come on line.

Have already booked an advance cruise on board last week and can transfer it one time to a new booking.

So many cruises that we would like to do it is hard to decide.

and really enjoyed it.Lots of nice ports,but do spend extra time in Montreal.

Not sure why Black Sea cruise on O would be different,,perhaps staff changes.Sad to hear.

Re.river cruise.Also look at AMA or Scenic for more luxury.Good to alternate ,that s what we do also,every 6 mos.one or other.

SO many choice,so little time..to complete my bucket list.;)

and really enjoyed it.Lots of nice ports,but do spend extra time in Montreal.

Not sure why Black Sea cruise on O would be different,,perhaps staff changes.Sad to hear.

Re.river cruise.Also look at AMA or Scenic for more luxury.Good to alternate ,that s what we do also,every 6 mos.one or other.

SO many choice,so little time..to complete my bucket list.;)

Hi Alexandra,

Do you mean that you alternate river cruise lines each time you travel?

We have been on Tauck ...tour and special events were exceptional. Food not so good IMHO.

Did Italy with Uniworld .. Loved the cabin, ship decor, food, lounge and restaurant and alternate dining location. Food and wine were very good.

June 2014 will to Paris with my daughter then Sept back on Uniworld in Portugal.

but now tend to stick to more luxury river lines,like AMA,Scenic,.

The food on river cruises is usually GOOD,but not GREAT.Really go for itinerary,cabins,and total experience.

Went on Uniworld to Portugal,and loved it. The scenery is great,loved the small ports, but (sadly)food only so so.But this was a few yrs.back,hope its improved. Ship could have used a little updating,maybe their new now?

Taking Scenic in June from Budapest to Bucharest(with ext.to Black Sea).

Re.O on Black Sea, interesting to hear the differing views.;)

but now tend to stick to more luxury river lines,like AMA,Scenic,.

The food on river cruises is usually GOOD,but not GREAT.Really go for itinerary,cabins,and total experience.

Went on Uniworld to Portugal,and loved it. The scenery is great,loved the small ports, but (sadly)food only so so.But this was a few yrs.back,hope its improved. Ship could have used a little updating,maybe their new now?

Taking Scenic in June from Budapest to Bucharest(with ext.to Black Sea).

Re.O on Black Sea, interesting to hear the differing views.;)

I do believe that Uniworld has a new ship on the Duro she is the Queen Isabella.

From her photos she is a beauty.

Black Sea July 2013 according to our friends was very good.