What Makes for a GREAT Cruise for YOU?

Paulette3028

We will be sailing in Feb in our first GS on Grandeur. We are looking forward to that a lot. What makes our cruises? Well, we are retired and spend every day together, but still enjoy each others company more than being with other people. We prefer adults and very few children. I like the special treatment we get on a ship. I enjoy when people are well mannered and not rude. I enjoy when the weather is good. Spent an entire day in an Alaskan port in the pouring rain in rain coats. Not very enjoyable, though not a total wash, so to speak. The shows are not very important to us. Would not make or break a cruise. We enjoy good drinks and good food with great service. We also enjoy breakfast in our cabin. I think the cruise ships staff making everyone feel like an important and valued guest is probably what we all want. I enjoy feeling safe on a ship. And, being the main housekeeper at home, I echo what others have said about not cooking or cleaning!

I just got off Majesty as well over Halloween and thought they did a good job too. Ricky, from my previous two cruises on Majesty did a good job as well but it was the same both cruises.

Back to your question, I pretty much know what the expect so as long as my expectations are met. Some things that lessen a cruise aren't always under the control of the cruise line. My dive was canceled in Coco Cay which was a huge disappointing thing for me, but itprobably wasn't the cruise line's fault. On Jewel we almost missed the docking port of Costa Maya, and that would have been a huge dissapointment for me, but the captain actually went out of his way to get us there.

Food usually isn't a disaapointment for me, if something is bad, which rarely happens, they will replace it.

Two years later I'm looking back at this thread. All of the answers in this thread are right! But for me, about to take my first Diamond Cruise, it has become about meeting my expectations and not of lot of negatives.

Below is me coming to a revelation.

1stbeer.jpg

In Jan of 2014 I had back surgery so I couldn't do a lot of the things I normally like to do. Here I am drinking the first beer of the cruise on a beach at Nevis, realizing I wasn't at work and putting work out of my mind for 7 more days. I

Ditto to most of things previously posted.

But, for me a cruise is so much more than the great food or having the steward make up my bed every day.

I am a little schizo by nature: Love to go, but love my home. Like to try new things just as long as they're familiar. Scaredy cat and adventurous all at the same time. LOL. To me, being on a cruise is like no other vacation. A perfect package deal: you can be out and about and totally adventurous and then back to your own little home with someone else taking care of all the details. There is such a feeling of freedom for me.

No worries (except what to order for dinner or whether or not to go to Bingo), no cell phones, no clients calling every 5 minutes and then wondering why you can't get anything done.

I love the food. And the people. And the crew. And the scenery. And walking on the promenade and the sunrise and sunset.

What makes a cruise special for me? I guess I'm easy to please, because mostly it's just getting to go.