What Makes for a GREAT Cruise for YOU?

Paulette3028

I eagerly wait for the first person to sing "Crazy" by Patsy Cline during karaoke. Honestly, the song is so bad but there are always multiple women who sing it. It makes us laugh and laugh!!!

I look forward to the evening entertainment. Not necessarily the shows but trivia, karaoke and our favorite, without a doubt, The Quest. It never gets old.

Before turning in for the night, I always spend a few minutes alone on the balcony, looking at the stars, whitecaps, and hopefully the moon and breathing in that sea air. There's nothing like it. I cant wait for our next cruise in 70 days!

I always assume everyone is a potential criminal! Just like when I drive, I assume every other driver is either drunk, distracted or just an idiot. Better safe than sorry!:D

I like to think of the other passengers on the cruise as friendly and fun....people I probably will never see again, so for the length of the cruise, we can become social friends. I wouldn't want to be looking at them all as potential criminals.

I like to think of the other passengers on the cruise as friendly and fun....people I probably will never see again, so for the length of the cruise, we can become social friends. I wouldn't want to be looking at them all as potential criminals.

lol I don't trust anybody especially since I'm with my wife. Happy holidays everyone

Interesting question.

Live entertainment is #1 for us.

Happy Holidays.

:D

Even the live entertainment, that isn't always professional -- like Karoake, if fun.....and you do find some very talents people among your fellow cruisers. We never miss Karaoke.

That's just it for me! I feel very special when we cruise. Like I'm living in a dream. I like to dream! ;)

Cathy

I am sure there were some people who just came off of Holiday cruises that feel the same way you do!

Cruising does make you feel special!

Being on the road at least 180 nights a year (not nearly as much fun as folks may think) it is being with my husband with no work or other demands on our time. Reading a book, watching people and doing only what we want to. I love the water and watching the ocean which I find totally relaxing. I expect that the service will be nice and the food fine and have not been disappointed on any cruise yet. Best of all is a cruise that we can play golf on- Bermuda was a favorite.

Any day on the sea is a treat.

What makes a great cruise for me would include the following:\

1. Selecting a cruise leaving from an interesting port such as Santos Brazil. This April I'm taking a cruise from Santos Brazil-Barcelona Spain. So by leaving from Santos its an incentive to arrive early and tour Sao Paulo for 4 days and get to Santos the night before and party knowing the ship is only 3.5 miles away.

2. Being able to relax during sea days. Am I weird but I count the number of sea days and am OCD about it being in proportion to the number of Port days. I have panned the upcoming cruise so the next day after boarding we visit Rio, one sea day then Salvador De Bahia then a lot of sea days then dock in the Canaries. Followed by two Sea Days then Malaga and one more sea day to relax before going to Barcelona. One of the reasons for counting the Sea Days is to enjoy the Tutti Salad Bar and deckside BBQ buffet.

3. What makes the cruise great is that my first cruise was a Trans Atlantic 14 nights, the last one was from New Orleans-Rome. So as you can see I went Cold Turkey by taking a long cruise. I would read on many web forums about First time cruisers taking a 4 day Carnival Cruise but heck no that would not make a cruise a great one because its short and its on Carnival.

4. What makes a great cruise is the people. I like meeting people from around the world. If you have just the sea to look at then it's a cruise but not an entertaining one.

5. Enjoying being served and not having to do laundry. Yea call me spoiled LOL but its nice not having to plan a menu buying the ingredients and cooking it or doing the laundry.

6. Being able to party on board and enjoying adult beverages within reason knowing you don't have to have a designated driver(Oh wait the Captain is the designated operator).

Being on the road at least 180 nights a year (not nearly as much fun as folks may think) it is being with my husband with no work or other demands on our time. Reading a book, watching people and doing only what we want to. I love the water and watching the ocean which I find totally relaxing. I expect that the service will be nice and the food fine and have not been disappointed on any cruise yet. Best of all is a cruise that we can play golf on- Bermuda was a favorite.

Any day on the sea is a treat.

Whoa....being on the road 180 days a year....you definitely would enjoy the 'no demands' feeling of a cruise and totally relaxing.

We just love being on the ocean :) Our own little balcony cabin so we can have peace and quiet any time day or night to just relax. Being spoiled by staff and crew, not having to make our own bed or prepare meals.

Neither of us wants to bother with evening entertainment, been there, done that enough. So a perfect evening for us is to go to a specialty restaurant, take a walk (weather permitting), then go back to our balcony and just watch and hear the ocean.

So, I guess it's that we can turn off the world, spend time with each other and know we can do anything…or nothing and it's all OK.

....So, I guess it's that we can turn off the world, spend time with each other and know we can do anything…or nothing and it's all OK.

I can understand the 'turn off the world' concept. If my DH still has his phone connection, his office will call him....on a cruise they can't his phone is OFF....he checks email, just to catch up with family....and be alerted to an emergency he may be walking into when he gets back to his office....but nothing more than that...since there isn't much he can do about it while 'cruising'.

My first 20 cruises were "family time" w/DH & DD. The next 10 were DH & me. Now DH is gone, so I've cruised 2x w/an old friend; my next cruise will be my first solo.

My requirements have developed over the years but are much the same since the 1st one:

1. Being on the sea -- love the movement, even if it gets 'bouncy'

2. Sea days -- at least as many as port days in most cases

3. New ports -- so many places to see, so little time!

4. The ability to do little or nothing (activities) if I choose -- and that's what I usually choose on sea days.

5. No 'housework' or the normal demands of life

6. A quiet place to sit (balcony or on deck) to read & gaze at the water

7. Pleasant crew

8. Pleasant table mates & good food

9. The production shows

1. Turning off my cellphone and relaxing for a whole week

2. Dressing up and going out and about with my hubby - either shopping / gambling / eating

3. Traveling with my parents - they are a blast and it's quality time spent together

4. Getting ready for a cruise - I swear that's half the fun

5. Having a great mdr waiter and staff

6. Trying something new at te cruise ports

7. Reconnecting with my hubby since life is always so busy

8. Doing what I want when I want ( except that I already plan the whole week )

9. Not having to clean up for a whole week

10. Getting a tan and drinking the drink of the day as the wind comes and goes

11. And before we get off the ship we plan the next cruise we are going on

12. Rushing to be seat one on the diamond embark side to get on the ship faster

13. The smiles on the embarkation picture say a million words

Can't wait - lady o in march !

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My first 20 cruises were "family time" w/DH & DD. The next 10 were DH & me. Now DH is gone, so I've cruised 2x w/an old friend; my next cruise will be my first solo.

My requirements have developed over the years but are much the same since the 1st one:

1. Being on the sea -- love the movement, even if it gets 'bouncy'

2. Sea days -- at least as many as port days in most cases

3. New ports -- so many places to see, so little time!

4. The ability to do little or nothing (activities) if I choose -- and that's what I usually choose on sea days.

5. No 'housework' or the normal demands of life

6. A quiet place to sit (balcony or on deck) to read & gaze at the water

7. Pleasant crew

8. Pleasant table mates & good food

9. The production shows

I hope you enjoy your next cruise. It will be a much different experience than any cruise you have been on. Live has changed so much....but you seem to have a wonderful approach to cruising.

A dear friend of ours is cruising for the first time without his DW, who he lost last year. As with other first's that he had to deal with this past year, he will deal with this experience as well....and so will you.

Length - we take long cruises, next is 31 days. Two weeks just doesn't cut it for us anymore although we did just do a 4 day because we couldn't refuse the offer from Princess

Destination - exotic is preferred. Next is Hawaii and on to the South Pacific. One after that is a circumnavigation of Australia.

The more sea days the better

Length - we take long cruises, next is 31 days. Two weeks just doesn't cut it for us anymore although we did just do a 4 day because we couldn't refuse the offer from Princess

Destination - exotic is preferred. Next is Hawaii and on to the South Pacific. One after that is a circumnavigation of Australia.

The more sea days the better

I envy people who have the ability to take long cruises. At some point in our lives we will be able to take longer cruises than we can now, but that will have to wait until we retire.