disembarkation tour-FLL

sambamama

Thanks to this forum, I changed my flight and avoided any chance of missing my 10:25 am flight. My new flight does not leave until 8:55 and I have lots of time to kill. Has anyone done the Hollywood FL tour? This one lasts 7 hours, and the others would put me at the airport with lots of time to kill. I also think that using the direct luggage program is the way to go for me since I am traveling alone. Thanks for any insight!

I would consider getting off the ship "early" and getting a rental car for the day; and do your own tour. See as much of south Florida as you want. Some rental car companies even have a free shuttle pickup at the port to the airport rental location (however, you might need paperwork showing a reservation). Turn would be at the airport, etc. You could even store your luggage in the car's trunk while sightseeing.

I booked this shorex myself pending research on excursions. My flight leaves at 6P. I don't know why you would need luggage direct with this excursions as they'll help store your luggage on the bus and give it back to you at the airport. If memory serves me right, I believe I investigated that part but double check. Thought about renting a car but wanna keep it simple and relaxing and stress free.

I booked this shorex myself pending research on excursions. My flight leaves at 6P. I don't know why you would need luggage direct with this excursions as they'll help store your luggage on the bus and give it back to you at the airport. If memory serves me right, I believe I investigated that part but double check. Thought about renting a car but wanna keep it simple and relaxing and stress free.

You are correct - if you do a ship's excursion the luggage goes on the bus.

No need for luggage direct :)

I would consider getting off the ship "early" and getting a rental car for the day; and do your own tour. See as much of south Florida as you want. Some rental car companies even have a free shuttle pickup at the port to the airport rental location (however, you might need paperwork showing a reservation). Turn would be at the airport, etc. You could even store your luggage in the car's trunk while sightseeing.

Yikes, speaking as a solo cruiser I would not want to drive in a strange place by myself. Maybe other people are more adventurous.

Thanks for the responses. I am going to book the Hollywood tour. Yes, the bus takes the luggage but I will be at the airport at 4 or so. I don't want to run the risk of hauling 2 big duitcases around. And I have lots of shipboard credit. I won't even need to find my luggage in the terminal. Traveling alone makes some things more difficult. How much easier than to not worry about my luggage when I deplane.

Yikes, speaking as a solo cruiser I would not want to drive in a strange place by myself. Maybe other people are more adventurous.

And the traffic there can be fierce! A shore excursion/transfer is the way to go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

I know this is an older post but wanted to say Thank You for these suggestions....a few I had not seen before and think will work perfectly for us.:)

Thanks for the responses. I am going to book the Hollywood tour. Yes, the bus takes the luggage but I will be at the airport at 4 or so. I don't want to run the risk of hauling 2 big duitcases around. And I have lots of shipboard credit. I won't even need to find my luggage in the terminal. Traveling alone makes some things more difficult. How much easier than to not worry about my luggage when I deplane.

My Sister, my Mom and a Friend did this tour yesterday after Debarking the Zui. They enjoyed it and it worked out very well for them. They did pick up their luggage to go through Customs and then the luggage was loaded onto the bus and returned to them when they arrived at the Airport. They walked around, had lunch, did a Trolley Tour, etc. before meeting back at a Hospitality Center for the transfer to FLL.

Have a backup plan though because if they don't get a minimum number of ppl to do the tour they will cancel it. They had 15 ppl on their bus with some going to FLL and some going to MIA.

Enjoy! :)

How can u use ship board credit if you buy the ship shorex ahead of time online on the HAL site ? You got to buy it on the ship maybe ? What if it fills up by then ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My Sister, my Mom and a Friend did this tour yesterday after Debarking the Zui. They enjoyed it and it worked out very well for them. They did pick up their luggage to go through Customs and then the luggage was loaded onto the bus and returned to them when they arrived at the Airport. They walked around, had lunch, did a Trolley Tour, etc. before meeting back at a Hospitality Center for the transfer to FLL.

Have a backup plan though because if they don't get a minimum number of ppl to do the tour they will cancel it. They had 15 ppl on their bus with some going to FLL and some going to MIA.

Enjoy! :)

Thank you for the report of the tour.

FYI, they did cancel this tour. I was the only person who signed on my ship. I went to Sawgrass Mills instead. I doubt it would fill up- there were about 20 people on the bus.

The tour was pretty poorly organized. We were told to head to the right and stop by the buses. A man checked us in and said to wait. We waited for 45 minutes with no further information. I think we did not leave till after 10. We were not given maps or coupon books. The place is huge- you do really need a map. We were told to be back at the door we went in at 1pm. So we had about 2 1/2 hours there. The mall is all outlets- mostly very high end. I found a food court and had a quick lunch. Be aware that when they drop you at the airport, it is not right by your airline door. It is further away if anyone has mobility issues.

You are correct - if you do a ship's excursion the luggage goes on the bus.

No need for luggage direct :)

The advantage of Luggage Direct is because you already have your boarding pass AND your luggage is already checked through to your final destination you can go straight to security lines. Saves waiting in check- in line or in skycap line.

Also, as OP found out, many times the drop off at airport is not necessarily by the door of your terminal. Saves schlepping the suitcases even a short distance.

Edited by NMLady

How can u use ship board credit if you buy the ship shorex ahead of time online on the HAL site ? You got to buy it on the ship maybe ? What if it fills up by then ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think reference is to using shipboard credit to pay for Luggage Direct.

I used Luggage Direct as well as the tour. It was much easier not having to deal with my 2 45 pound suitcases after I left them outside my cabin door the night before. I booked it onboard- probably the best value of anything I ever got from HAL!