Is the Sky back up for sale?

TravelDiva88

Browsing my roll call from my most recent sailing, another member posted a link to a site with a ship that appears to be the Sky for sale for a cool $300M

I found it listed again here: http://www.qpsmarine.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?veh=2652223

I find it hard to believe since NCL JUST purchased it back, but stranger things have happened.

Browsing my roll call from my most recent sailing, another member posted a link to a site with a ship that appears to be the Sky for sale for a cool $300M

I found it listed again here: http://www.qpsmarine.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?veh=2652223

I find it hard to believe since NCL JUST purchased it back, but stranger things have happened.

These kinds of ads popped up back when NCL was offering the ship to Pulmantur. Since NCL "bought" the ship from Genting, which owns 50% of NCL, from whom they were chartering it, it was just an accounting shuffle of money from one division to another. Some of it may have been legal to reflect the deal made with Congress to allow the Sky to sail as the Aloha in PVSA trade, and then they pulled it out. The ship may have had to go to a "foreign" owner for a few years ("see we're not still operating the ship after taking away US jobs, we sold it to Genting") before it could revert to NCL's ownership. I don't know all the clauses from that legislation, especially in regards to the flagging out of the Aloha and Hawaii.

From what I understand, the 3 & 4 night Bahamas cruises are pretty much cash cows for NCL, so not sure whether they are actually looking to sell, or just trolling to test the market.

These kinds of ads popped up back when NCL was offering the ship to Pulmantur. Since NCL "bought" the ship from Genting, which owns 50% of NCL, from whom they were chartering it, it was just an accounting shuffle of money from one division to another. Some of it may have been legal to reflect the deal made with Congress to allow the Sky to sail as the Aloha in PVSA trade, and then they pulled it out. The ship may have had to go to a "foreign" owner for a few years ("see we're not still operating the ship after taking away US jobs, we sold it to Genting") before it could revert to NCL's ownership. I don't know all the clauses from that legislation, especially in regards to the flagging out of the Aloha and Hawaii.

From what I understand, the 3 & 4 night Bahamas cruises are pretty much cash cows for NCL, so not sure whether they are actually looking to sell, or just trolling to test the market.

Perhaps just testing the waters. Hard to imagine why they would sell a "cash cow" unless they have something more lucrative up their sleeve.

With all the new ships in the works they may plan to sell the Sky and put in one of the newer ships - lord I hope so:)

That was my guess. A few NCL junkies and I were playing cruise ship musical chairs one afternoon over drinks on the Sky this past week. With the Getaway (2014) , Escape, and Bliss (2015/2017) coming online, unless they dive into new markets there are going to be more ships than they know what to do with.

I think NCL would have to get a really good price to sell her. Those 3/4 day cruises bring in money and the ship's age doesn't really matter. Booze cruises are perfect for them.

In my opinion NCL is in desperate need for new, refreshing itinerary options. I'm looking more and more at Princess and Royal because they offer more exotic options (Asia, S. America, Australia etc) and I think that NCL needs to put newer ships in newer places.

Edited by ohioNCLcruiser

I agree with james NCL needs some new locations to cruise too. Down here we get 4 or 5 boats at a time now and NCL wants to change it up but they keep pushing towards jamacia. We dont like going there and its making those cruises extremely cheap and ncl doesnt make as much as a burnt out locations run.

Are you sure it's the Sky? It's described as a 5-star cruise-ship.

:rolleyes:

I agree with James, more innovative itineraries would be good. As my sig. shows, we tend to take the one-off trips which NCL occasionally does.... more, would be better.

Just think, since there are supposedly 110,000 registered members of Cruise Critic, then if we all chip in $2,727.27 we can own our very own cruise ship! Wow, unlimited bacon for everyone! :D

Just think, since there are supposedly 110,000 registered members of Cruise Critic, then if we all chip in $2,727.27 we can own our very own cruise ship! Wow, unlimited bacon for everyone! :D

I'll bring the syrup!

I doubt they would have dry docked her if they intended to turn around and sell her.

We are sailing on the sky in two weeks, first cruise. But curious what 'dry dock' means.

Artman Family

NCL Sky December 16-20

We are sailing on the sky in two weeks, first cruise. But curious what 'dry dock' means.

Artman Family

NCL Sky December 16-20

Dry dock means they take the ship out of the water and paint/clean/renovate the ship.

I doubt they would have dry docked her if they intended to turn around and sell her.

Drydocking is a statutory requirement. You can get some grace period, but you can't just put it off and say, "I'll let the next owner pay for that". If you exceed your drydock time limit, you may lose your certificate of class (no insurance) or your certificate of registry (document from the flag state that allows the ship to sail). If a drydocking is due or slightly overdue, many ship buyers would make it a contingency (like having a home inspection before buying a home) that anything found at a subsequent docking would be charged to the seller.

Drydocking is a statutory requirement. You can get some grace period, but you can't just put it off on the next owner. The cleaning and painting the hull is a somewhat minor point of drydocking. It is to look at the structure of the ship below the waterline and the machinery (propellers, rudders, thrusters). If you exceed your drydock time period, you could lose your certificate of class (no insurance) or certificate of registry (document from flag state allowing the ship to sail). Also, if a drydock is due or slightly overdue, buyers can make a contingency that the cost of docking or any repairs found at a drydocking would be charged to the seller (much like having a home inspection before buying a house).

Lets do it!! Like a condo. When we can't sail, we can rent out our cabins weekly.

What a logistical nightmare for reservations that would be.

Jon

With all the new ships in the works they may plan to sell the Sky and put in one of the newer ships - lord I hope so:)

for short 3 and 4 day cruises that is very unlikely. I don't know of a single line that uses ships newer than about 10 to 15 years old for the short runs. Look at Majesty of the Sea (RCI) and the Carnival short cruise ships, they are much older and usually smaller than the Sky. That would leave t NCL with only 2 ships older than about 9 years, the Dawn and the Sun. 8 years: 10 and 12 years old is nothing for a ship.

I think NCL would have to get a really good price to sell her. Those 3/4 day cruises bring in money and the ship's age doesn't really matter. Booze cruises are perfect for them.

In my opinion NCL is in desperate need for new, refreshing itinerary options. I'm looking more and more at Princess and Royal because they offer more exotic options (Asia, S. America, Australia etc) and I think that NCL needs to put newer ships in newer places.

this is one of the questions I intend on asking at our M&G next week on the Sun; what about new itineraries? I asked it last time, but unfortunately, it was the only time the management leader of the M&G didn't seen to want to answer questions and his answer to me was: The company knows what works and right now they are not considering any other itineraries, or something like that.

for short 3 and 4 day cruises that is very unlikely. I don't know of a single line that uses ships newer than about 10 to 15 years old for the short runs. Look at Majesty of the Sea (RCI) and the Carnival short cruise ships, they are much older and usually smaller than the Sky. That would leave t NCL with only 2 ships older than about 9 years, the Dawn and the Sun. 8 years: 10 and 12 years old is nothing for a ship.

DCL uses the Dream for 3 and 4 day trips which is a new ship. They actually replaced the older Wonder who was doing those trips with the new Dream.

DCL uses the Dream for 3 and 4 day trips which is a new ship. They actually replaced the older Wonder who was doing those trips with the new Dream.

ok, and I should have clarified my remarks: most mass marketed lines use only older ships: remember Disney does really fit into what we consider mass marketed lines: mass marketed lines are usually thought to be Princess: RCI: NCL: HAL: Celebrity and Carnival. Though, not a luxury line, by any means, Disney is in its own catagory. There short cruises are generally connected with a land trip to Disney as well. It is a totally different concept. I am not saying, BTW, everyone who takes a short Disney cruise does the land as well.

Edited by newmexicoNita

this is one of the questions I intend on asking at our M&G next week on the Sun; what about new itineraries? I asked it last time, but unfortunately, it was the only time the management leader of the M&G didn't seen to want to answer questions and his answer to me was: The company knows what works and right now they are not considering any other itineraries, or something like that.

Also remember though Nita that you should take those comments as a grain of salt. Very few people onboard the ships know what the future plans are.

ok, and I should have clarified my remarks: most mass marketed lines use only older ships: remember Disney does really fit into what we consider mass marketed lines: mass marketed lines are usually thought to be Princess: RCI: NCL: HAL: Celebrity and Carnival. Though, not a luxury line, by any means, Disney is in its own catagory. There short cruises are generally connected with a land trip to Disney as well. It is a totally different concept. I am not saying, BTW, everyone who takes a short Disney cruise does the land as well.

Its also there to go together with Disney World packages which is why its apples to oranges.