Dunedin - Taieri Gorge Train Journey

I see that Royal Caribbean are offering this trip from ship side in Dunedin at considerable expense for our Radiance cruise in February. Is it possible to do it on a DIY basis or do you have to 'commute' downtown to join the train. Does anybody have any alternatives to suggest please for Dunedin?

Thanks

We just did this....it wasn't planned in any way....we got off the ship and walked through the isite tent.....and they were advertising it....8.50 ...we booked through a company named a good company with yellow busses....they had good contact with the railway in Dunedin.....we had the back carriage which was half full so wonderful for photos....on the way up....can buy coffee pies etc on board....we then had a 2hr tour with tbe same company for $124 all up....it filled the day in nicely... if you go this way get of the ship early to get your ......place

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

We did this this on a DIY basis a few years ago. At that stage P&O were charging about $180 per adult and $130 per child. We booked directly through the train line, and paid around $80 per adult. The kids were free. So for us it was a very simple choice!

The only difference in the actual trip was that we had to get the bus to the train station. That was easy as the train line have a bus there waiting. We also didn't get the lunch that was served on the cruise version. It would have to have been a pretty special lunch though to make it worth while! :D

If you google Taieri Gorge Train you'll find their website where you can book tickets. They'll have them waiting for you at the counter when you arrive. There's also an email address so you can contact them for details of the bus transfer. I can't remember how much that was, but it was very reasonable.

I see that Royal Caribbean are offering this trip from ship side in Dunedin at considerable expense for our Radiance cruise in February. Is it possible to do it on a DIY basis or do you have to 'commute' downtown to join the train. Does anybody have any alternatives to suggest please for Dunedin?

Thanks

The Speights brewery and Cadburys tours are fun things to fill in a day.:D

Does anybody have any alternatives to suggest please for Dunedin?

Thanks

Hi,

we did NOT do Taieri Gorge Train Ride.

You also asked about alternatives in Dunedin...

My wife and I did the Elm Wildlife Tour and it was absolutely fantastic. We saw the beautiful Otago Peninsula coastal scenery and a lot of wildlife, upclose and personal. Two couples, plus Brian as our driver/guide.

We first did a Dunedin city tour, then went out to the Royal Albatross center. After that, we went to see NZ Fur Seals and had a great picnic lunch overlooking the cliffs of Cape Saunders. After lunch, an empty beach with the 5 of us and huge Hooker Sealions and Yellow Eyed Penguins... an amazing experience.

If interested... suggest checking TripAdvisor for more details.

The shore excursion takes you from the ship whereas the DIY trip you have to make your own way to Dunedin Station. The Shore Excursion also includes extras like wine and afternoon tea. We did it DIY a few years back and the ship arrived late and we missed the train. Luckily we had a limo and chased it up the mountain catching it at the halfway point but the planned saving ended up costing more when we had to pay the addition limo journey. So you can save money with DIY but its riskier too and the train waits for nobody.

We did this trip last month...you DO NOT have to find your own way to the railway. We booked on the day in the tent on pier...they bussed us to rail station..we saved almost 50% on the ships cost for an almost identical trip. Have a look at the web site and they will confirm what I have said.

Did not have to pay anything in advance..

Sue

Only did this trip a couple of weeks ago from Celebrity Solstice. Train was $107 per person and well worth it - we had a great day. There were many others from the ship who 'did it themselves'. We posted on our roll call and got a group together and then booked as a group so we were all in the same carriage.

http://www.taieri.co.nz/index.htm

They will have your tickets waiting at the station and transport form the dock is provided. I think that was an additional $15 pp. No pre-payment required just pay on the day.

Much cheaper than the Ships excursion.

Cheers

Deb :)

Hi,

we did NOT do Taieri Gorge Train Ride.

You also asked about alternatives in Dunedin...

My wife and I did the Elm Wildlife Tour and it was absolutely fantastic. We saw the beautiful Otago Peninsula coastal scenery and a lot of wildlife, upclose and personal. Two couples, plus Brian as our driver/guide.

We first did a Dunedin city tour, then went out to the Royal Albatross center. After that, we went to see NZ Fur Seals and had a great picnic lunch overlooking the cliffs of Cape Saunders. After lunch, an empty beach with the 5 of us and huge Hooker Sealions and Yellow Eyed Penguins... an amazing experience.

If interested... suggest checking TripAdvisor for more details.

I would like to add my recommendation for Elm Wildlife Tours in Dunedin. We were lucky that there was only our driver/guide and the two of us so it was a very personal experience. They have sole access to private farmland on the Otago Peninsula that has access to the coast where you will see New Zealand fur seals and, as we did, a beach where sea lions love to come and bask in the sun. We had a wonderful day.

We also did the Taieri Gorge on a cruise on the Diamond Princess and we chose to book through the cruise line. I know it is possible to do the trip yourself but there is something so romantic about walking down the gangway and then climbing the step into your railway carriage. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

cheers

Stu

We did this trip last month...you DO NOT have to find your own way to the railway. We booked on the day in the tent on pier...they bussed us to rail station..we saved almost 50% on the ships cost for an almost identical trip. Have a look at the web site and they will confirm what I have said.

Did not have to pay anything in advance..

Sue

It must have changed but I find it very unusual that they would be allowed to sell at the wharf undercutting the ships own price. Which ship were you on? Most lines would chuck a wobbly at any company that tried to do that. We were on Volendam and certainly when we did it that was not an option. It was buy the ships shore excursion and the train comes out to Pt Chalmers or buy it DIY and get into the main station whichever way you can.

It must have changed but I find it very unusual that they would be allowed to sell at the wharf undercutting the ships own price. Which ship were you on? Most lines would chuck a wobbly at any company that tried to do that. We were on Volendam and certainly when we did it that was not an option. It was buy the ships shore excursion and the train comes out to Pt Chalmers or buy it DIY and get into the main station whichever way you can.

The train excursion that is sold on the dock is not identical to the ship's tour that has food and drinks included. Often there are private operators on the dock selling tours that are similar to the ship's tours. One that comes to mind is in Suva where they sell a tour to the Arts Village at Pacific Harbour for a firewalking/dance show. Another - in the cruise terminal in Noumea they sell the sightseeing 'train' trip. The only difference (besides the price) is that on the private one passengers don't get a pastry and a drink.

I was on the Celebrity Solstice..the trip was purchased from the tourism tent on the wharf as advised by the train people when I emailed them. It was slight differently from the ships offering ..we went to the top of the Gorge by bus, bought an excellent sandwich and cup of coffee onboard for an additional $10 NZ. The bus into town and up to train and back to ship at the end of the trip was included in the price of $113 NZD. We saved over 80 USD..saw a lot of beautiful scenery from the bus, still got to see the best of the Gorge so very happy all around and the money we saved paid for another tour in another port.

Sue

They have had trouble at Port Chalmers with rogue tour operators overstepping the mark. There have been reports of fights breaking out as they try to snag the best spot to lure tourists onto their tour. Many operate uncertified vehicles and carry no public liability insurance.

They started coming onto the wharf at one stage but have now been pushed back to the public street areas outside the port.

Do beware of some of theses operators.

The savings on a cheap tour may pale in insignificance if anything untoward happens and you find out you have no come back.In NZ we have the ACC , (Accident Compensation Commission) that covers any accident , but you only get the basics as decided by the Govt controlled commission , and you can not sue.

When purchasing private tours there are always trade offs, with some items that may or may not be what the ship's tours offer and some items that are not offered at all for the reduced price. This may be food, or drinks or guarantees. Research the options, be aware of the risks and make informed decisions and everything should be okay (or at least you are not surprised).:D

I would appreciat it if someone (or more than one person) can help with some more information on these trips.:) I contacted the NZ Railway Dept using the contact on their website regarding trips available on 17th Jan and on 7th Feb. Here is their reply. I feel it could have included a bit more information. -

(Quote) On 17 January we have our 9.30am departure to Middlemarch from Dunedin Railway Station in the centre of the city returning at 3.25pm costing NZ$107.00 per adult.

On 7 February there are 2 cruise ships in the city and our 9.30am public departure from Dunedin Railway Station in the centre of the city is our Seasider train to Palmerston returning at 1.30pm costing NZ$89.00 per adult.

Reservations are essential on these very busy days. (end of quote)

Questions on the Taieri Gorge trip - Looking at a map, I can see that Middlemarch is further along the train line from Pukerangi (that Sandy mentioned). I am assuming that the trip to Middlemarch does the same rail gorge trip that everyone raves about but maybe goes further up the line? Is the return trip by bus or rail? I understand that we take their shuttle bus for a small extra cost to the railway stn and presumably the return at the end of the day.

Questions re Seasider train to Palmerston - I have heard a lot about the Taieri Gorge Trip but not much about this trip. Has anyone done this? Is it any good? Is the return by bus or rail?

Thank you in advance for any information and/or advice.:)

Edited by Aus Traveller

I would appreciat it if someone (or more than one person) can help with some more information on these trips.:) I contacted the NZ Railway Dept using the contact on their website regarding trips available on 17th Jan and on 7th Feb. Here is their reply. I feel it could have included a bit more information. -

(Quote) On 17 January we have our 9.30am departure to Middlemarch from Dunedin Railway Station in the centre of the city returning at 3.25pm costing NZ$107.00 per adult.

On 7 February there are 2 cruise ships in the city and our 9.30am public departure from Dunedin Railway Station in the centre of the city is our Seasider train to Palmerston returning at 1.30pm costing NZ$89.00 per adult.

Questions on the Taieri Gorge trip - Looking at a map, I can see that Middlemarch is further along the train line from Pukerangi (that Sandy mentioned). I am assuming that the trip to Middlemarch does the same rail gorge trip that everyone raves about but maybe goes further up the line? Is the return trip by bus or rail? I understand that we take their shuttle bus for a small extra cost to the railway stn and presumably the return at the end of the day.

Questions re Seasider train to Palmerston - I have heard a lot about the Taieri Gorge Trip but not much about this trip. Has anyone done this? Is it any good? Is the return by bus or rail?

We are doing the Seasider in January as when there is more than 1 ship in port the ships book out the Taieri Gorge trip . The trip to Palmerston is very pretty and you do have some free time about 40 minutes before your return train trip back to Dunedin.There are a lot of tour company which will offer packages that included a train trip some good value and some not so . We have booked to do the Seasider train through Good Company as we have used them before and they are a very reliable family company.They will book your train tickets and pick you up from the port and take you to the train station to do the train trip and then you get some free time in Dunedin before a 2 hr afternoon tour and then they return you to the ship for NZ$124 and for children under 17 its NZ$ 20. If you book and pay them in advance they also offer a full refund if your ship can't dock due to bad weather.

There is a local bus into Dunedin (don't know the cost sorry) or you can take the ships shuttle that cost $10 each way last time we were there. You can check out tours and tour company on trip advisor.

I have posted a link to Good Company and also a youtube of the seasider trip and a link to trip advisor.

I hope this helps and you enjoy your cruise

http://www.goodcompanytours.co.nz/cruise.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com

Edited by Jasp 0401

It is a return trip, train both ways, AT. I think you would find there is more info when/if you book. Middlemarch is just a bit further on than Pukerangi. I know of one couple who did the Seasider because the Taieri Gorge line was closed because of fires, and they enjoyed it. Personally, I would prefer to do the Seasider as a gorge is a gorge. It was good but the scenery was much the same all the way. Once again, the Seasider is not operating next time we are there. I'm sure I would prefer the coastal scenery. See this for Seasider.

http://www.taieri.co.nz/images/TGR-2013-14-brochure.pdf

If you need anything else in Dunedin there is a mob called Classic Jaguar Tours who I've found very reliable. They have a range of new and vintage Jags and their prices are very reasonable. We did their Larnach Castle tour last year and the driver insisted on taking us to a few more places because we hadn't used up all the time we'd paid for. NZ$304 for three people half day incl all entry charges in the air conditioned comfort of a new XJ350.

Thanks Sandy and Jasp for your information. We have already 'done' the Otago Peninsula and on another trip walked around Dunedin so it is time for something else. Discussion time in our household. :D

Olveston is an interesting tour in Dunedin if you have seen everything else..

http://www.olveston.co.nz/

Olveston_front_entrance_and_garden.jpg

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

You are right, there, David. Olveston is truly amazing. That's on my 'to do AGAIN' bucket list. There is so much to take in. :)

I can remember you telling us in the past how much you enjoyed Olveston House. We walked there - with my other half dragging along behind rather reluctantly. :D