Balcony Suprise

dtay2827

I'm planning on surprising my wife with a balcony cabin for our honeymoon cruise on Allure in a few weeks. She thinks we booked an inside. Are there any tells that I should be aware of? I'm particularly worried about the check in process. Maybe I can slip a note into our paperwork.

I'm planning on surprising my wife with a balcony cabin for our honeymoon cruise on Allure in a few weeks. She thinks we booked an inside. Are there any tells that I should be aware of?

This is really, really subtle, and I doubt that your wife would realize this unless she's been studying deck plans, but in general (but not exclusively), odd numbered cabins face inward and even numbered cabins face the water.

You didn't say what kind of balcony cabin, so I'm guessing you mean an oceanview balcony which would be have an even number.

Edited by Daghis

What a great surprise, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. You should have no problem, she will probably not have any idea until you open the stateroom door. Just do not let her see the cabin number and the deck plans before the cruise.

What a wonderful surprise! We booked an 'Inside run-of-ship' years ago and were thrilled to open our door to a balcony stateroom- our first! Just wanted to suggest maybe arranging to have your stateroom decorated with a Just Married package. You can order through Gifts & Gear, either on RCI's website or call them at (800) 722-5443. (See info below). We always have chocolate covered strawberries waiting for our arrival, and have also ordered flowers and wine. Congratulations!

Stateroom Decorations $31.00 USD

Item# 208 - Just Married

Whether you or a loved one are coming onboard for a honeymoon, an anniversary trip, a birthday celebration or a well-deserved vacation, a stateroom surprise will start the cruise on a festive note. Each package contains all the frills, including door signs, cascades and garlands.

Just my opinion, but I think that the special occasion decorations take away from the beauty of the stateroom and your eye goes to the gaudiness of the sparkle colors and not the focus of the balcony and ocean.

IMO, the decorations are a waste of money and have been reported more than once to not even be in place upon arrival. Some people love them, some not. Just want you to be aware. ;)

PS - If the check-in clerk says something about your balcony, give her the evil eye and say..."there must be a mistake, we booked an Inside...wink, wink." that will give them the opportunity to back track. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

I'm planning on surprising my wife with a balcony cabin for our honeymoon cruise on Allure in a few weeks. She thinks we booked an inside. Are there any tells that I should be aware of? I'm particularly worried about the check in process. Maybe I can slip a note into our paperwork.

I did this on a recent cruise. She thought that it was an inside cabin and it blew her away when she saw the balcony. ;) If she does not study the documents and knows how to look up deck plans, you should be ok. Good luck. She will love it.

Our kids organised a special occasions package for us 'oldies' on our Allure cruise last December.

When we arrived at the door of our cabin and saw the decorations I said oh no, this isn't our cabin, someone else must have booked it, what on earth can we do?' I was so upset!

But the kids insisted we opened up the door and then they let us in on the secret. It really was for us! It was magical, especially at our mature ages to have something SO romantic and thoughtful.

It was absolutely lovely - a sparkly banner draped right across the bed, plus hanging decorations and the steward had made two towelling swans for the bed.

We were overwhelmed.

So I would vote for the decorations!

Am sure you will have a wonderful magical cruise, and the balcony will be just the most wondrous surprise.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!

Edited by ellie1145

Our kids organised a special occasions package for us 'oldies' on our Allure cruise last December.

When we arrived at the door of our cabin and saw the decorations I said oh no, this isn't our cabin, someone else must have booked it, what on earth can we do?' I was so upset!

But the kids insisted we opened up the door and then they let us in on the secret. It really was for us! It was magical, especially at our mature ages to have something SO romantic and thoughtful.

It was absolutely lovely - a sparkly banner draped right across the bed, plus hanging decorations and the steward had made two towelling swans for the bed.

We were overwhelmed.

So I would vote for the decorations!

Am sure you will have a wonderful magical cruise, and the balcony will be just the most wondrous surprise.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!

See...I knew there were passengers out there that loved that kind of stuff. :)

Those "love swans" are lovely, aren't they. When we do get the towel animals, the swans usually make an appearance sometime during our cruises.

I don't like surprises, especially surprise parties. UNLESS...it's a cruise, a new car, a puppy.....please don't surprise me. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

Congrats on your Honeymoon, One word of advice when in port keep your drapes closed, a couple on our first cruise was on there honeymoon and did not have there drapes closed and a crewman washing the outside windows got an eyeful.