Tendering in a wheelchair

LadyVolFan

We will be going to Belize on our cruise next month. I am partially wheelchair bound. I cannot climb stairs. Has anyone tendered in a wheelchair or is it even possible? The pictures I have seen shows several steps are necessary. Any help is appreciated?

Are very skilled and experienced in assisting those in a wheelchair.

Should you have specific questions, contact Carnival and they will advise what capabilities and services they can offer.

Be assured, folks requiring a wheelchair are well accommodated.

They can put in some "ramps", but with my husband a wheel chair user, we have never experienced a tender, where a few steps weren't necessary. And contrary to the above, there have been some ports that were not tender wheel chair accessible.

They can put in some "ramps", but with my husband a wheel chair user, we have never experienced a tender, where a few steps weren't necessary. And contrary to the above, there have been some ports that were not tender wheel chair accessible.

Ditto! We sometimes travel with my DB who is in a wheelchair, and we have been told a few times that it just was not possible.

One of the most scary things I've ever seen on a cruise was on the Big Red Boat in 2000. The crew of the tender lifted him and wheelchair together to get him from the dock to the tender boat. I was so scared I was going to have to explain to my mother how I took him on a cruise and dropped him into the water.

I don't think a crew would consider doing that now.

Back in 2009 I was able to walk with assitance and we took a tender via NCL to a private island beach. Leaving the ship was not a problem, but once we arrived at the island the people at the port just yanked me off the tender up to the dock and threw me onto the dock. It was painful and they didn't seem to care. It makes me very wary of tendering. And Belize is probably not even worth the hassel.:(

Whenever we have tendered in Belize, we had to go down a flight of steps to get to the tender boat. I have seen crew help passengers up and down the stairs. Call Carnival, but just don't call the regular number. Ask for the special needs customer service.

I would be nervous about trying to tender in Belize without the ability to go up and down stairs. If the sea is especially calm...maybe. I'm naturally clumsy, so even without a disability I have to be extra careful on the Belize tenders.

Not sure whether you've checked into accessible excursions for Belize (or if there are many available), but the gated port that they've got is nothing special, and outside the port can be a little wild on your own. Also, Frommer's sums it up with..."In short, it's relatively difficult for a person with disabilities to get around in Belize."

Can't speak about Belize specifically but I had a great experience on the Fantasy in August when I got to tender into HMC. I am unable to stand or walk and travel in a 300 lb. power chair so I figured my chances of getting on the tender were slim. I just went up to the front of the line and told them that I wanted to go ashore.......each crew member along the way had to call a superior for guidance but in the end I was allowed to roll the chair across the ramp and on to the tender. Good luck....be insistent that you want to go and they will make it happen.

Good luck....be insistent that you want to go and they will make it happen.

:eek:

Common sense should always apply on the part of the individual. As an example:

In the country I come from there are caves with an optional section called "The Devil's Chimney". It is NARROW, and even as a child I feared going through it. Well recently, a rather ample-proportioned lady was on the tour and when they got to this section the guide told her: "Sorry ma'am you will not be able to make it through this part."

Well she screamed at him about discrimination and it being her right to do that [optional] part of the tour. So he said ok. Well she got stuck, and 13 hours later they got her out - with the use of much lubricant and hand-shoving in unmentionable places!! (I don't think she'll ignore such advice in the future).

Realism and wisdom required, please!!!

Edited by Starlight Durban Cruising

In the country I come from there are caves with an optional section called "The Devil's Chimney". It is NARROW, and even as a child I feared going through it. Well recently, a rather ample-proportioned lady was on the tour and when they got to this section the guide told her: "Sorry ma'am you will not be able to make it through this part."

Well she screamed at him about discrimination and it being her right to do that [optional] part of the tour. So he said ok. Well she got stuck, and 13 hours later they got her out - with the use of much lubricant and hand-shoving in unmentionable places!! (I don't think she'll ignore such advice in the future).

good post

Yes in Belize there is a flight of stairs you have to walk up or down. My son can walk some and actually the other passengers helped with the folded wheelchair.

Half Moon Caye we did not need to use the steps as the tender was a double Decker.

Realism and wisdom go out the door when "entitlement" enters.

Just got back and I didn't see anyone with a wheelchair. I do remember it said no mobilzed wheelchairs allowed on tender so if you have a fold up one and can walk some you should be ok. But its your call.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

Always good to remember that the ADA does not exist outside the US. In many countries, someone with a disability is only considered an object of charity and less a person. So, if the Special Needs staff suggests a port might be a problem, they really mean it's a BIG PROBLEM.

Always good to remember that the ADA does not exist outside the US. In many countries, someone with a disability is only considered an object of charity and less a person. So, if the Special Needs staff suggests a port might be a problem, they really mean it's a BIG PROBLEM.

Very true

Thanks for the advice. I've been to Belize before and it wasn't my favorite. I can't go on the fun looking excursions...and don't worry...I have common sense and won't attempt cave tubing or zip lining in my wheelchair :D

I'll have a nice ship day.

We have cruised outside the USA, and are often shocked at what people expect in foreign countries. Discrimination does not even translate into some languages, and we have seen people turned away for things that they would have to be accommodated if they were in the US.

Two cases in point - service dogs & mobility scooters. They have a lot of requirements including pet passports in some countries, and implanted chips. While they honor the tradition of service dogs for the blind, the newer services dogs for various aliments are not well accepted outside the US. Also, HIPPA is a US creation so expect both questions and having to provide detailed medical documents in other countries.

We observed people with mobility scooters denied getting off ships in some ports - officials deemed them not safe and unless they could go in a regular wheelchair, they stayed on the ship.

I am not saying it is right, good or bad. I am just saying outside of the US, there are many variables.

We have cruised outside the USA, and are often shocked at what people expect in foreign countries. Discrimination does not even translate into some languages, and we have seen people turned away for things that they would have to be accommodated if they were in the US.

Two cases in point - service dogs & mobility scooters. They have a lot of requirements including pet passports in some countries, and implanted chips. While they honor the tradition of service dogs for the blind, the newer services dogs for various aliments are not well accepted outside the US. Also, HIPPA is a US creation so expect both questions and having to provide detailed medical documents in other countries.

We observed people with mobility scooters denied getting off ships in some ports - officials deemed them not safe and unless they could go in a regular wheelchair, they stayed on the ship.

I am not saying it is right, good or bad. I am just saying outside of the US, there are many variables.

While leader dogs are welcome on ships, they are not able to leave the ship in ports otherwise on return, they are subject to quarantine