Price drops

tinykygal

Is it really possible to have rates drop once final payment has been paid? I have read wonderful reports of that happening for many people.

I do not subscribe to the fish site that keeps up with the info.

I couldn't win a pie in a pie eating contest::)

Is it really possible to have rates drop once final payment has been paid? I have read wonderful reports of that happening for many people.

I do not subscribe to the fish site that keeps up with the info.

I couldn't win a pie in a pie eating contest::)

Not sure what you are asking.

Prices do decrease after final payment.

However, Royal does not give credit of any kind once the final payment date has passed.

Not sure what you are asking.

Prices do decrease after final payment.

However, Royal does not give credit of any kind once the final payment date has passed.

I disagree with the last statement. We were going on the Allure in October. There was a price drop after final payment. We were able to upgrade two levels because the price of the higher level was now, the same as we paid for the lower level. All I had to do to get it is to e-mail my online travel agent and ask for it.

Ok, understand

No more looking. :)

Keep looking!

Even though you cannot get any kind of credit, you may be able to move to a better stateroom for little or no extra cost. Royal will let you upgrade after final payment. For example, if the next highest category drops in price below what you paid, you may be able to move up for free. Depends on if the new price is restricted.

Ok, understand

No more looking. :)

It is always worth the time to look for lower prices, even after the final payment date. You never know when the next cabin class up from yours reduces the prices enough to make it worth it to upgrade for a small additional payment.

For instance, if you have an interior or window cabin, you might find a balcony cabin for just a bit more than you have paid.

We have booked a combined cruise and land stays at each end including flights with a cruise company in the UK.

I made a general enquiry to the agent regarding price drops and was told "this will not apply to you"! Why ever not?

Have had cheap upgrades in past due to price drops but am worried that as they have packaged the trip for us we are being denied price drop opportunities , should they happen

Any ideas?

Osfan - Karen

Always follow the price, but keep in mind the restrictions. Many last minute price drops are "new booking only." We use a great TA. In Sep., 3 weeks before the cruise, the Crown Lofts dropped over $1000 per person. They were "new booking only, no other discount applies." Knowing this I contacted my TA. She worked hard with RCI and got me upgraded from a JS to an L-1 Crown Loft not only for the low price, but also had my D+ discount applied. Total cost for 2 of us to upgrade from JS to CL.... $302 ($151 per person)! So keep at it. It's worth the work.

Out of 16 cruises, we have only had a price drop apply to the particular cruise we were taking ONE time. That cruise had 2 price drops and it was wonderful, but I never expect them. It doesn't stop me from looking, but the cruise we will be taking in June, has done nothing but go up in price. It would have to take a complete nose dive to net me any savings at this point.

Out of 16 cruises, we have only had a price drop apply to the particular cruise we were taking ONE time. That cruise had 2 price drops and it was wonderful, but I never expect them. It doesn't stop me from looking, but the cruise we will be taking in June, has done nothing but go up in price. It would have to take a complete nose dive to net me any savings at this point.

It's the same for us. We have never even had the price drop after we booked a cruise. The prices always go up. Perhaps it's because we cruise during popular seasons, like the summer.

We did snag a last minute cruise at a great rate on Celebrity Summit this past August.

As others have said, if you decide to check prices after final payment it should be to upgrade, not to get money back.

Don't check at all if you aren't interesting in paying more (even just a little) for an upgrade as you may get frustrated.

Prices will drop in the last month as others are upgraded (for free) by C&A. You'll (sometimes) see previously full cabin classes come available due to this as well.

Never hurts to check the day of and day after "refund" deadlines if you want to upgrade. The first two ones (90 full refund, 64 deposit only - both 7 day limits. Full list here) probably see the most cancellations, which opens up cabins.

I use fare tracking sites up until I leave to see if upgrades are available. I even post price drops to my roll call forums, after I have secured my own upgrades of course.

I disagree with the last statement. We were going on the Allure in October. There was a price drop after final payment. We were able to upgrade two levels because the price of the higher level was now, the same as we paid for the lower level. All I had to do to get it is to e-mail my online travel agent and ask for it.

Bob was correct in his statement in answering the OP's question........RCI does not give credit ($$$ in the form of a refund or OBC) after final payment.

The only thing they may do after final payment, is if there is a price reduction (and this can be anytime before or after final) and you find that a higher cabin category is priced the same as or lower than what you paid for your cabin, you can request an upgrade.

If the price drops after final payment, can you get OBC?

Normally, no $$$ credit of any kind.

However, there is a 48 hour price guarantee, so if you booked a cruise after final payment date, and then the price goes down within 48 hours, you can get 110% of the price drop as an OBC.

Edited by clarea