MSC Divina Review - 11/30/13 Sailing

richs52

I sailed on the 11/30/2013 sailing to the Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Great Stirrup Cay.

I have previously sailed on NCL, Royal, Carnival and Princess. I went into this cruise with an open mind about MSC and did a lot of reading about the line before cruising.

The check-in at the port of Miami was quick and easy. No Issues.

The staff welcomed us on the ship and from the first moment I was in awe of the ship’s beauty. She is certainly the most beautiful ship I have ever been on and she sparkled. The mirrors everywhere took some getting used to, but by the end of the cruise I got used to staring at that handsome guy looking at back at me. :-)

Cabin - I had a category 6 balcony stateroom which is the smallest balcony cabin (no couch or chair), but was plenty of space for me. I found the décor to be pleasant, dark woods with white, red and black accents. The bed was comfortable, and the balcony contained two chairs and a foot rest. The bathroom was very standard cruise bathroom. I found there to be enough space, outlets and storage. I did miss not being able to check my account on the television, but I was told that it will be available in the future. My steward was efficient and unseen; my kind of steward.

Food – I liked the food. The dining room service was spot on. We were sat at table 904, a table of 8 in the Villa Rosa dining room. We had Rennga and Putu, both from Indoneisa. They were personable and efficient. We did not wait long for food at all, and in fact, some nights felt rushed. They actually turn up the lights in the dining room at 10:30PM which we found a tad odd. I did found something tasty to eat each night, and never left hungry. I really enjoyed the buffet for lunch; fresh pasta and a carving station every day. A very extensive selection of cheeses, breads and freshly sliced deli meats (there is a person slicing all day). There is a children’s section for things like chicken nuggets, hot dogs and chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast).

Entertainment – Second to none. I loved the MSC production shows and the Pantheon Theater is the nicest theater at sea. We saw the Witches of Paris, Pirate Show, Wonderland and the Michael Jackson show. All were modern, fresh and unlike anything I’ve seen on another cruise lines. I thought the entertainment was better than I’ve seen on the Epic and Breakaway.

General Observations –

The very best coffee I have had on any cruise line. I usually spend a good amount at the coffee bar on board. I didn’t spend a dime this cruise. The coffee was strong, dark and always served with hot milk. Awesome.

The very best pizza I’ve had on any cruise line. Starting at lunch they will have one freshly baked focaccia, one white pizza, a cheese pizza, a pepperoni pizza and a couple specialty pizzas out. Thin crust, great sauce and spices and perfectly cooked.

There were many complaints from fellow passengers about the service, mostly from the bar areas. I purchased very few drinks on this cruise except at dinner, but the cocktail service at dinner was great.

The tender process for both Grand Cayman and GSC worked very well.

Staff ratio – In regards to staffing; I felt that the staffing was lacking in some areas and overstaffed in others. For example; a scheduled open bar cocktail party for 500 was only staffed with three bartenders and two cocktail waitresses. While up in the buffet, there were four or five servers milling around a section of 20 or so tables at each meal. I will give MSC credit though; when a supervisor came in and saw what a mess the party was, she immediately got on her walkie talkie and in about 5 minutes streams of staff appeared to help out. Nice service.

VERY, VERY few announcements which was quite refreshing. NO activity announcements like bingo, art auctions and the like.

Very little sales pressure on this cruise. No in your face cocktail waiters shouting at you on the pool deck; though there was always a server around.

I didn’t get any soft serve on this cruise. Machines were only open 2-5PM and that was usually my nap time. Oh well, I guess I’ll live. :-)

All around, I had a great cruise. Never had a bad one, and never will.

Thanks for reading and I'd be happy to answer any questions, if I can.

Rich

I sailed on the 11/30/2013 sailing to the Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Great Stirrup Cay.

I have previously sailed on NCL, Royal, Carnival and Princess. I went into this cruise with an open mind about MSC and did a lot of reading about the line before cruising.

The check-in at the port of Miami was quick and easy. No Issues.

The staff welcomed us on the ship and from the first moment I was in awe of the ship’s beauty. She is certainly the most beautiful ship I have ever been on and she sparkled. The mirrors everywhere took some getting used to, but by the end of the cruise I got used to staring at that handsome guy looking at back at me. :-)

Cabin - I had a category 6 balcony stateroom which is the smallest balcony cabin (no couch or chair), but was plenty of space for me. I found the décor to be pleasant, dark woods with white, red and black accents. The bed was comfortable, and the balcony contained two chairs and a foot rest. The bathroom was very standard cruise bathroom. I found there to be enough space, outlets and storage. I did miss not being able to check my account on the television, but I was told that it will be available in the future. My steward was efficient and unseen; my kind of steward.

Food – I liked the food. The dining room service was spot on. We were sat at table 904, a table of 8 in the Villa Rosa dining room. We had Rennga and Putu, both from Indoneisa. They were personable and efficient. We did not wait long for food at all, and in fact, some nights felt rushed. They actually turn up the lights in the dining room at 10:30PM which we found a tad odd. I did found something tasty to eat each night, and never left hungry. I really enjoyed the buffet for lunch; fresh pasta and a carving station every day. A very extensive selection of cheeses, breads and freshly sliced deli meats (there is a person slicing all day). There is a children’s section for things like chicken nuggets, hot dogs and chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast).

Entertainment – Second to none. I loved the MSC production shows and the Pantheon Theater is the nicest theater at sea. We saw the Witches of Paris, Pirate Show, Wonderland and the Michael Jackson show. All were modern, fresh and unlike anything I’ve seen on another cruise lines. I thought the entertainment was better than I’ve seen on the Epic and Breakaway.

General Observations –

The very best coffee I have had on any cruise line. I usually spend a good amount at the coffee bar on board. I didn’t spend a dime this cruise. The coffee was strong, dark and always served with hot milk. Awesome.

The very best pizza I’ve had on any cruise line. Starting at lunch they will have one freshly baked focaccia, one white pizza, a cheese pizza, a pepperoni pizza and a couple specialty pizzas out. Thin crust, great sauce and spices and perfectly cooked.

There were many complaints from fellow passengers about the service, mostly from the bar areas. I purchased very few drinks on this cruise except at dinner, but the cocktail service at dinner was great.

The tender process for both Grand Cayman and GSC worked very well.

Staff ratio – In regards to staffing; I felt that the staffing was lacking in some areas and overstaffed in others. For example; a scheduled open bar cocktail party for 500 was only staffed with three bartenders and two cocktail waitresses. While up in the buffet, there were four or five servers milling around a section of 20 or so tables at each meal. I will give MSC credit though; when a supervisor came in and saw what a mess the party was, she immediately got on her walkie talkie and in about 5 minutes streams of staff appeared to help out. Nice service.

VERY, VERY few announcements which was quite refreshing. NO activity announcements like bingo, art auctions and the like.

Very little sales pressure on this cruise. No in your face cocktail waiters shouting at you on the pool deck; though there was always a server around.

I didn’t get any soft serve on this cruise. Machines were only open 2-5PM and that was usually my nap time. Oh well, I guess I’ll live. :-)

All around, I had a great cruise. Never had a bad one, and never will.

Thanks for reading and I'd be happy to answer any questions, if I can.

Rich

Please accept the standing ovation that my husband and I (and our cats) are giving you from blustery, cold Lancashire.

Your review was concise, full of information, objective and a delight to read.

It speaks volumes that you noted the waiters names in the dining room as opposed to their scent.

Thank you again.

Thank you from an equally cold and foggy Dorset, UK for your great review. It was constructive, objective and whilst acknowledging some issues it was clear you had a fab time! We fully intend to fully enjoy our once in a life time holiday and will probably miss the soft serve too (for the same reason!!!)thanks :)

Thanks everyone, I really did have a nice time. I usually cruise solo, and was also happy to find out that MSC only charges 50% of the second passenger rate for solo guests, instead of double like other lines. Now, if they could get a ship to homeport in NYC, I'd be all set!

Thanks everyone, I really did have a nice time. I usually cruise solo, and was also happy to find out that MSC only charges 50% of the second passenger rate for solo guests, instead of double like other lines. Now, if they could get a ship to homeport in NYC, I'd be all set!

I usually travel solo too and love the lower solo supplement on MSC.

How refreshing, an objective, positive review, loved it, thanks Rich. With under 6 weeks to go we can't wait to go cruising on the Divina. One question to someone who must know the definitive answer: how did the gratuity/hotel charge work for you on this cruise?

John and Sandra

Leeds, UK

Can someone help with the Divina evening attire. I realize there are two formal nights. I am wondering about the other nights. Is it appropriate to wear long dress shorts, a nice blouse and sandals to dinner? I am assuming during the day is resort casual, shorts or nice dress cover up. Thanks in advance for your help.

We were just off the Nieuw Amsterdam and had an okay experience. My 2 year old daughter picked up a pill that was left on the floor in our stateroom by the previous guests. The pill exploded all over her. Holland America didn't seem too concerned.

I based MSC off of American based cruise and didn't give it a fair shake. After a few days on HAL my wife and I were wishing were back on the Poesia. The MSC staff treated my daughter like a princess, not so much on HAL. I think we are going back to try MSC Divina in Nov on their 10 day cruise. We are comparing prices to Princess and we did really enjoy the Princess line too. From what I hear the Divina is the most beautiful ship on the sea.

Thank you for the positive review.

How refreshing, an objective, positive review, loved it, thanks Rich. With under 6 weeks to go we can't wait to go cruising on the Divina. One question to someone who must know the definitive answer: how did the gratuity/hotel charge work for you on this cruise?

John and Sandra

Leeds, UK

We just left the automatic deduction on so we didn't have to be bothered. We did, however, give our butler and cabin steward an extra tip as they were outstanding.

denandben: Most of the time, even in the YC, dress was casual resort. I saw a few people all dolled up, but I wouldn't worry about it.

We just left the automatic deduction on so we didn't have to be bothered. We did, however, give our butler and cabin steward an extra tip as they were outstanding.

denandben: Most of the time, even in the YC, dress was casual resort. I saw a few people all dolled up, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Great thankds, so I will pack some nice shorts and/or capris and blouses for evening with the exception of dress nights. My husband will wear slacks and shirts, suits on dress nights. Sound good???

Thank you from an equally cold and foggy Dorset, UK for your great review. It was constructive, objective and whilst acknowledging some issues it was clear you had a fab time! We fully intend to fully enjoy our once in a life time holiday and will probably miss the soft serve too (for the same reason!!!)thanks :)

If your going to miss the soft serve - make sure you pay $1-2 for the gelato - to-die-for good ;)

Great review! I'm thinking about this ship for a trip next year. Like you, I travel solo, so certainly the lower add-on fee is a plus. And like you, I'm pretty sure I couldn't possibly have a "bad" cruise... although perhaps I shouldn't jinx myself. And again, like you, I wish they (and Disney) would homeport in NYC!

Question: I've gotten the impression this is a more upscale boat/crowd. I have no problem with that, but I do tend to be a bit more casual where my, um, fashion sense (or lack thereof) is concerned.

Thoughts?

Richard/Tralfie

If your going to miss the soft serve - make sure you pay $1-2 for the gelato - to-die-for good ;)

Agreed, plus the dining room has a gelato and a sorbet each day at lunch and dinner. They offered a sundae with Nutella gelato for dessert one night. So good.

"I've gotten the impression this is a more upscale boat/crowd. I have no problem with that, but I do tend to be a bit more casual where my, um, fashion sense (or lack thereof) is concerned." quote from Tralfie.

I found the passengers on the MSC Divina to look like those on any other cruise ship. I didn't have access to "Yacht Club" so I have no idea if those passengers dressed any differently.

I agree about the sorbets and gelatos in the dining room! Delicious! The Nutella was my favorite!