seeing fortresses through rccl excursion vs. on our own?

feenix

Has anyone done the rccl excursion 'the fortresses of san juan'? I was wondering if it costs about the same to visit them on our own, or if there are benefits to doing it through the cruise line. It costs about $55 per adult and $35 for kids (off the top of my head). One benefit to booking the rccl excursion would be that it is going to be a tight time frame, and I think it is true that the cruise will not leave people behind on rccl booked excursions. Any thoughts?

Has anyone done the rccl excursion 'the fortresses of san juan'? I was wondering if it costs about the same to visit them on our own, or if there are benefits to doing it through the cruise line. It costs about $55 per adult and $35 for kids (off the top of my head). One benefit to booking the rccl excursion would be that it is going to be a tight time frame, and I think it is true that the cruise will not leave people behind on rccl booked excursions. Any thoughts?

I'm a few years out of date, but last time I went it was 5 or 6 dollars for both forts. The furthest fort, El Morro, is maybe 30 minutes from the pier for a very slow walker. I'd like to know what the benefits are for that kind of money.

The ship is there from 7 to 2, and the forts open at 9. I hear it takes about 3 hours.

There's plenty of time to do it on your own, provided the ship docks at the Old City.

If it were me I'd get off the ship by 8, take a left down the Paseo de la Princessa, and follow it along the harbor under the city walls. Then either follow it to the dead-end where the Atlantic bangs in, then back, or go directly through the City Gate and up to the plaza outside El Morro. Plenty to look at either in the city itself or along the walkway up top overlooking the cemetery and Atlantic.

Then, El Morro first (this will let you finish pretty close to the ship). Purchase a pass for both forts. 2 hours tops should give you a pretty thorough look at El Morro. This still gives you 2 hours to walk to San Cristobal, tour it and hit the ship, with a little cushion. By the time you hit Cristobal you may start to feel that "all forts look alike" (as well as being hot and tired - take or pay for plenty of liquids).

San Cristobal is an easy downhill walk to the ship, which will find you in the mood to rest and refresh.

Thanks for the advice! Do you know about how long of a walk it is from the ship to the first fort, from one fort to the other, and then from the last fort back to the ship? Does the walk go through any areas where we should be careful, or is the area generally safe for tourists to walk? Is it possible to bring food and drinks from the ship? It has been a while since I've been on a cruise, and I don't remember much!

Thanks for the advice! Do you know about how long of a walk it is from the ship to the first fort, from one fort to the other, and then from the last fort back to the ship? Does the walk go through any areas where we should be careful, or is the area generally safe for tourists to walk? Is it possible to bring food and drinks from the ship? It has been a while since I've been on a cruise, and I don't remember much!

Depends on your walking speed. We are in our 40's and average walking ability. It's about a 20 minute very easy walk uphill to Elmorrow, plan on an hour to walk around. Then it's an even easier ten minute level walk to the other fort. again an hour to walk around the fort. Then it's a 20 min walk downhill to the port. Of course shopping etc along the way may change the time frames. I would not waste the $ doing it thru the ship unless you have mobility problems. OSJ is a great do it yourself port. Honestly the traffic for the bus would probably take longer than walking on some days.

You can bring water or your own sealed snacks from the ship. OSJ has great street vendors that are pretty safe to buy from. There are some that sell and ice cream/gellato type of thing that is SO yummy.

There are not really any scarey places there, while you are walking from one fort to the other, you will see a neighborhood down by the sea that I have been warned to stay away from, but I wouldn't even know how to get down there, so you don't need to worry about stumbing into it as you walk. You will find scammers that will start to talk to you, just keep walking and be polite, smile and walk away.

By all means take the tour on your own. Follow Lard Greystokes directions about walking down "Paseo De La Princessa" (just head left off the ship) you will come to an opening to this area. just keep walking west down this walkway you will run into a fountain then the walkway around the city turns right (northwest) it is a very nice walk.

100_5550.jpg

DSCF6750.jpg

and about half way there is a guy selling oranges that he peels or juices. the smell is just heavenly and the oranges are $.50 a piece or $1 w/ice- $1.50 without. They are great for the heat.... keeps you refreshed. They also sell water that is cold. THis is one of my favorite vendors. I visit him every time we go there.

100_5553.jpg

DSCF6886.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

Just squeeze and drink the juice then peel the flesh around as you want to eat it. Very delicious. Much sweeter oranges than we get in the states.

The other option for you... is to walk to El Morro then catch the free trolley to San Cristobal then walk back to the ship (just a couple of blocks downhill) or even catch the trolley again. San Juan is a great place to explore. Enjoy your cruise.

DSC01487_zps56653648.jpg

Edited by Dirkgun

• 2 weeks later...

If time is a concern, I would choose one fort (El Morro would be my choice), and enjoy a very leisurely return to the waterfront. There are so many sights to enjoy in the Old City: the Cathedral, parks, fountains, statues, etc.