Helpful Hints for a New Cruiser

shrimp56

How about getting the right luggage that fits under the bed. I believe it's 28 inch . Hopefully I'm right. Others can comment please. I'm thinking space is limited in a normal non suite cabin. and it's ultra important to have the right size for luggage

From the floor to the bottom of the beds, is definitely not 28". :eek:

That width suitcase would work but that would be a very high bed.

How about getting the right luggage that fits under the bed. I believe it's 28 inch . Hopefully I'm right. Others can comment please. I'm thinking space is limited in a normal non suite cabin. and it's ultra important to have the right size for luggage
Our 29" bags fit easily under all HAL beds we've had except on the Prinsendam.

OP - I know this is too late for your dinner tonight, but tell your friend to expect things to not go exactly as expected all the time. Ship happens, and plans change all the time. Roll with whatever happens.

I'm always amazed by people who ask to see menus posted, like they are pre-planning what they are going to eat! :eek: I wonder what they do when what they have chosen isn't offered! :)

In a "non-suite" cabin, we found that if we OPENED the large pieces of luggage they slide under the beds nicely. Learned this our first cruise when we arrived on the ship with seven suitcases. :D

1. Take a night light.

2. Posted notes. For leaving notes.

3. A highlighter to mark what you want to do each day.

4. Clothes pins (a few) to hang up "stuff" you may wash.

5. A pop up hamper. They fold flat in suit case and are very thin.

This is some thing that I do. I put a line the bottom of my suit case with a plastic garbage bag. The I put my stuff in and place another bag on top. I have seen bag get wet (rain) when being load on the ship. But my cloths will stay dry and I put the dirty laundry in the bag to go home.

Edited by geocruiser

The lid comes off the desk stool and it makes a good laundry hamper.

There are two drawers under the bed which are often missed and they provide loads of storage space. Often you will find the steward has stored linen for the sofa bed there. I always carry a few green garbage bags so can place the contents of the drawer in one of them and store it under the bed, leaving the drawer space free.

There is always a third life jacket taking up space and since we are two, I store the extra one in a green plastic bag under the bed thereby freeing up shelf space. Of course I am extra careful to make sure it is replaced on the proper shelf when we pack to go home.

Battery powered tea lights make good night lights. Take several as they do wear down.

Print out a deck plan and show her your favorite places. Treasure hunt for the unique and interesting art HAL has on each ship. Walk the teak deck and watch the sunrise at least once. Explore. Meet some of the other passengers - there will be some really interesting people on board with you.

Our 29" bags fit easily under all HAL beds we've had except on the Prinsendam.

OP - I know this is too late for your dinner tonight, but tell your friend to expect things to not go exactly as expected all the time. Ship happens, and plans change all the time. Roll with whatever happens.

I'm always amazed by people who ask to see menus posted, like they are pre-planning what they are going to eat! :eek: I wonder what they do when what they have chosen isn't offered! :)

I personally love to look at the menus but not to decide what to eat in advance. I simply find them interesting. I also love to read about the ports/countries we will be visiting doesn't mean I'm planning on doing everything in the guidebook. It just all part of my pre-cruise experience. Helps with the waiting. Not long now. :)

Buy a beverage card online or onboard so you don't have to reconcile many receipts at end of your cruise.

If you buy it online it will have your name printed on it. It makes it easy to make sure your own card is returned to you when your steward is taking multiple orders.

The cards bought onboard do not have a name on them.

Walk the promenade deck. HA is one of the only lines that still has a wrap around promenade deck. Walking that deck for exercise or strolling or just sitting on a deck chair gives you that sense that you're really at sea on a ship. Take advantage of it day and night. It's wonderful to walk it after dinner and see the stars...

-If the weather is bad don't let it get your down. Any day on a ship beats any day at work!!!

-Order room service at least one time...it really is free....I usually tip a couple of dollars more if it is a large order for more than 2 people...and during meal times you can order anything they are serving in the dining room even if it is not on the menu. We had waffles one morning and they were delicious.

-Keep track of your shipboard charges, they can add up quickly if you are not careful!:D

This has probably been answered somewhere here on CC but couldn't find it ...

Is the card you buy only valid for the cruise that you buy it for... if not used up can we use on our next cruise immediately following the one it was bought for. Our reservations are linked and we are in the same cabin for the entire cruise. 25 days for the initial part of our trip.

Not a big drinker and DH doesn't drink ... might be away to get away from trying to reconcile the bar tabs..... Thanks

Is the card you buy only valid for the cruise that you buy it for... if not used up can we use on our next cruise immediately following the one it was bought for. Our reservations are linked and we are in the same cabin for the entire cruise. 25 days for the initial part of our trip.

If there is a gap beteen cruises, or if you are moving to a different ship (even without a gap), the beverage card definitely won't carry forward.

But if you are on consecutive cruises---either back to back, or Collector's, then there is a strong chance the same card can carry forward to the next cruise. Do check before you purchase the card to see what they are doing this time. ;)

In any case, if you are paying for a full value card, i.e., there is no bonus or discount involved, then the unused portion is refundable. That would make your reconciliation easy.

If there is a gap beteen cruises, or if you are moving to a different ship (even without a gap), the beverage card definitely won't carry forward.

But if you are on consecutive cruises---either back to back, or Collector's, then there is a strong chance the same card can carry forward to the next cruise. Do check before you purchase the card to see what they are doing this time. ;)

In any case, if you are paying for a full value card, i.e., there is no bonus or discount involved, then the unused portion is refundable. That would make your reconciliation easy.

Thanks Ruth C ...will check it out ... we are trying an I cabin on the Maasdam ... Navigation deck for the first time. Hope we like it. We took your recommendation last year on the Rotterdam and went for an inside on the promenade deck ... loved it .. trying the Noordam for the 1st time and have changed cabins twice. ended up with a G on deck 4 forward... outside instead of an L inside on 5 ... hope this was a good move ... would be interested in your view. Thanks Ruth B