Sustainable Seafood ??

RedmondCruiser

Ok, I will bite, what exactly does "sustainable" seafood mean? I live on Cape Cod and only buy fresh, sometimes from the docks so I have no idea what anyone is talking about. Once about three years ago, I was on a Princess Cruise in the North Atlantic, where they served New England lobster claws, without the whole lobster. Sounds weird, but that is what they did, and they were good.

Do the ships not buy local fish when they are in transit?

I was wafting for someone to ask.

I was wafting for someone to ask.

Maybe along the lines of 'farm raised salmon'?

It can be reproduced again and again and again.

The ocean may be overfished and depleted but the salmon farms can continue to produce?

I am surprised that no one has mentioned it, but on the HAL website it very clearly explains the partnership that HAL has with a marine conservation organization and what exactly that means. If you select "Dining" under Onboard our Ships and then select "Sustainable Seafood" under Overview, you will find this:

Sustainable Seafood

Holland America Line Menus Feature Sustainable Seafood

At Holland America Line, we are committed to serving sustainable seafood on board our cruise ships. In partnership with the Marine Conservation Institute, we work to review the seafood served onboard our ships and to remove items that are caught or farmed in ways that do not protect marine life or the environment.

Marine-Conservation-Institute-logo_4.19.11.gif

Sustainable seafood comes from either fished or farmed sources that can to maintain or increase production in the future without jeopardizing the ecosystems from which it was acquired. The seafood that we are proud to serve in our restaurants is caught in a manner that does not irreparably harm the surrounding ecosystem and ensures a plentiful stock of fish remains in the sea to feed future generations and support local fishing communities.

We have implemented this program because we believe that offering responsibly sourced food choices is central to providing excellence in dining. Our commitment to sustainable seafood that is both responsibly produced, and of the highest quality, helps protect ocean resources and ensure that generations to come can enjoy the best available seafood.

For more information about our program and evaluation process please visit the Marine Conservation Institute website at www.marine-conservation.org.

Sustainable seafood means seafood that is not being overfished. It has nothing to do with being fresh or frozen. The claws on your cruise were just catching up with all the tails that were eaten the trip before:D

Thats it exactly, often it can be impacted by the fishing techniques used. For example swoardfish and longlining (which is very destructive) is not sustainable, same with the significant overfishing of tuna. Shrimp is a good example of a sustainable seafood as it can be farmed.

Then they had start Lion Fish on the menu! The fish is a pest that is destroying almost any other fish destroying anywhere in the Atlantic. It is bad news you think? They need Lion Fish on the menu twice a day. It is the most beautiful fish you can possibly taste. Try it. Fantastic!

Stephen

Good to see you on CC, Stephen. Didn't know people could eat Lion Fish. As you say they are beautiful to look at but deadly to touch a spine. Will have to order it if I see it on a HAL ship.:)