Has anyone been caught smuggling coming off the ship?

pj woods

We had a big discussion at work today about smuggling coming off the ship. Mostly about cigarettes. I know they allow 1 carton per adult but at 25 dollars a carton I can't resist getting as many as I can afford. Last cruise I took 15 cartons off the ship. So my question is has anyone been caught try this or somthing similar.

Since it's not an illegal substance they will make you pay the duty plus a fine for not declaring. If it concerns you ask what the duty is and if it makes sense just declare them and pay it. I know the duty use to only apply to stuff you carried in and anything shipped from a foreign port wasn't counted toward your duty allowance. We shipped a bunch of Christmas gifts FedEx from Canada (I might have put a few Cuban cigars in there) and we never paid duty.

You can bring back a "reasonable" quantity of alcohol and cigarettes (reasonable being, you can't bring such a quantity back as to sell). I know that they only advertise the duty free allowances and never actually say that you can buy more, but you can. My husband and I bring back a case of rum every cruise. You just need to declare it. They may or may not make you pay the duties on the bottles that are over the duty free allowance. On one cruise we were not charged any duties on the case and another time we paid around $5 in total duties. Just talk to the cashiers in the shops onboard and they will tell you about it.

Please don't be scared...it is NOT illegal :) Once a customs agent told us that it was "excessive" and we couldn't bring back that much. We insited that she talk to her supervisor...she was wrong and we walked out with our liquor.

I always buy 15 or so cartons & always declare them. Duty is $10 per carton.

And with regard to the fruit...One time, a few years ago, I was randomly pulled over for an "agriculture inspection". They brought me to a separate room, opened my luggage & went through it. I didn't have any...but they said they examine about every 50th person disembarking ;).

Carnival has no ideal what you bought in port... Pay cash. We always declare what we bought just cause so what if the charged us a few extra $'s on a few extra bottles. I am under the assumption its only like 2 $ a bottle and only like 2 $ for cigarettes. if you had 15 30$ more so what!!!

Just confirming what "Jimbo" said ... Absolutely they do!

LuLu

~~~~

We had somebody in our group get snagged. Pulled them in a room asked them again, then pulled out their sign and sail. All over but the tears from that point.

Just off a cruise that ported in my favorite shopping place - St. Thomas! We spoiled ourselves this year and bought a tad over the allowance (try around $8000 in jewelry). Since we didn't buy on ship, we didn't put anything but the one bottle of booze we had in a bag we were carrying on the declarations. When disembarking, I wore most as did my DH. The customs guy looked right at me and the form and asked "No new jewelry this trip?" I said "Nope, not this time" and off we went. :D

Oh and Secret deodorant does work!

I got snagged coming into Miami a few weeks ago. I had 6 cartons of cigarettes, which I declared. I figured I'd pay the duty.

Well, they practically strip searched me, and I was with my son. They told me I couldn't pay duty and they would have to destroy the cigarettes.

And they actually did take them from me.

I got snagged coming into Miami a few weeks ago. I had 6 cartons of cigarettes, which I declared. I figured I'd pay the duty.

Well, they practically strip searched me, and I was with my son. They told me I couldn't pay duty and they would have to destroy the cigarettes.

And they actually did take them from me.

That by law is what they are supposed to do if bringing over the alowance of cigs made in the states. If made out of the country then you can pay duty on them.