Best Shopping Port

eppler

I keep my ulu on it's stand on my kitchen sink window. Love it for cutting pizza.

It flew from Seattle to Toronto in my checked suitcase.

I've started hanging all my travel ornaments on a garland on our fireplace for Christmas. Some I buy and some I make from shells or keychains.

My favourite Christmas ornament from our Alaska cruise is a ceramic one from a quilting store in Skagway.

Also bought one at a souvenir shop in Ketchikan that is a map of the inside passage.

Thanks for sharing! Love the garland idea! I am also thinking how I could use pictures to make ornaments from places we've been but don't have an ornament.

I love unpacking our vacation ornaments, makes me think of all the fun we head on each trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which of the three stores is this? First time visitor here. ;)

I know of only one location that is a few hundred yards from the most distant ship docking. During the off-season, they have daily online sale items since they are open year-round unlike the other tourist shops.

The reversible (fleece - waterproof) Alaska signature jackets for $20 are a real hit. Their wolf-pictured fleece jackets are real attention getters.

We love our ulu knives.

An ulu (Inuktitut syllabics: ᐅᓗ, plural: uluit, English: "woman's knife"[1]) is an all-purpose knife traditionally used by Eskimo women, both Yupik and Inuit. It is utilized in applications as diverse as skinning and cleaning animals, cutting a child's hair, cutting food and, if necessary, trimming blocks of snow and ice used to build an igloo.

220px-Un_ulu_d%27Alaska_sur_fond_bleu.JPG

"Cutting a childs hair"..hope those children sit still :eek::)

I've started hanging all my travel ornaments on a garland on our fireplace for Christmas. Some I buy and some I make from shells or keychains.

My favourite Christmas ornament from our Alaska cruise is a ceramic one from a quilting store in Skagway.

Also bought one at a souvenir shop in Ketchikan that is a map of the inside passage.

That's a great idea! You can keep them on display in one place and it will be a great conversation piece. Now I know what to do with my shell and kukui nut leis that we got in Hawaii. I will make a garland for the tree. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone lend input about the Market in Anchorage? I will be there mid-cruise and wonder if I should budget some time to do some shopping there.... (It will be Aug 31 so I might benefit from late season clearance... ?)

Thanks.

Can anyone recommend a store to buy women's plus size tshirts and fleeces? I looked at that Tongass store and their tshirts are all for men. Thanks!

Tongas has large sizes. Since the tee shirts are mostly Alaska themed, they are for men or women. There will still be the flowery ones for women only.

The "Shirt Company" stores have them as well.

Edited by travelbug11

The T-shirts at Ray Troll's shop along Creek St. were a big hit with my kids. Lots of nice stuff in there. A lot of the museum gift shops had nice gifts, handmade ornaments, photo cards, local crafts, small signed prints & photographs.

All those areas have plenty of shopping options with the exception of Hoonah. You might want to consider checking each visitor guide for shopping lists. http://www.skagway.com http://www.anchorage.net http://www.traveljuneau.com http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

actually budget you are incorrect, hoohah had the most awesome homemade by local residents objects. I bought a necklace I wear all the time.

Can anyone lend input about the Market in Anchorage? I will be there mid-cruise and wonder if I should budget some time to do some shopping there.... (It will be Aug 31 so I might benefit from late season clearance... ?)

Thanks.

Here's the website for the Anchorage Market. It's only open on Saturdays & Sundays. We manage to get there about once a year. We can usually walk through the whole thing in less than an hour.

http://www.anchoragemarkets.com/Anch%20Market%20and%20Festival/amf2.html