Concerns about Sheraton Rio

Eager2Travel

IMO, I would stay with Regent and the Sheraton Hotel -- even if it is not perfect. Rio is definitely not the safest place to be on your own. When we were there, a couple from the ship was walking in the area around the ship and a kind "local" told them that it was dangerous to walk in that area and also recommended not wearing jewelry -- specifically her necklace. It is not uncommon for necklaces to be ripped off of a person's neck.

Not trying to be overly negative on Rio -- just use extreme caution (as recommended in all travel guides). Also recommend using Regent's transportation to the airport. It is a long way and traffic can be horrendous. Our bus left the hotel, where our luggage was being stored on the last day, at 5:00 p.m. for a 9:00 p.m. flight. We made it to the airport at 9:00 p.m. -- the plane was held for us. The trip should only take an hour...... unless it is a holiday or there is an accident.

IMO, I would stay with Regent and the Sheraton Hotel -- even if it is not perfect. Rio is definitely not the safest place to be on your own. When we were there, a couple from the ship was walking in the area around the ship and a kind "local" told them that it was dangerous to walk in that area and also recommended not wearing jewelry -- specifically her necklace. It is not uncommon for necklaces to be ripped off of a person's neck.

Not trying to be overly negative on Rio -- just use extreme caution (as recommended in all travel guides). Also recommend using Regent's transportation to the airport. It is a long way and traffic can be horrendous. Our bus left the hotel, where our luggage was being stored on the last day, at 5:00 p.m. for a 9:00 p.m. flight. We made it to the airport at 9:00 p.m. -- the plane was held for us. The trip should only take an hour...... unless it is a holiday or there is an accident.

TC, excellent advice. We have heard of many unfortunate incidents when guests have been well informed but still continue to ignore the warnings. This is true

for Buenos Aires as well.

We wear a cheap watch and leave the good stuff in the safe. Ladies be careful with your hand bags they can rip that from you in a heart beat. Wear a fanny pack and do not take too much cash. A credit card can be reported but cash cannot.

As far as transfers, either do it through the cruise line or a private driver. As far as leaving your bags out of the room....don't do it. Call the front desk for the pick up in your room when you are ready to leave and keep an eye on them. If two are traveling one can check out while the other watches your bags being loaded.

Don't throw caution to the wind.

I might mention that when staying at a hotel at LGA, I was walking around for exercise & the police stopped me to say it wasn't a very good neighborhood.

• 3 weeks later...

One comment just on location, the Sheraton Rio is fairly isolated and it really isn't safe for non natives to walk from the Sheraton to a better beach (their's is not very good) or to local shopping. As a frequent traveler to Brazil for work I always stay in the LeBlon area. Ipanema is also safe and there are great hotels. No issues with exploring the neighborhood during the day and the beaches are great. But please be careful, there is a lot of protests in Brazil right now, especially in Rio, I always check with hotel personnel about the planned protests before venturing out. And if I am out at night I have arranged dedicated transportation through the hotel or my office.

A couple of more thoughts about hotels with less than stellar ratings online. I am posting this from the Four Seasons Hotel in Sydney, Australia -- reported by some to be the worst Four Seasons in the world. Because of these reports (and knowing that we were staying here three nights post-cruise) I emailed the hotel and asked if it was possible to pay the difference between what Regent was paying and an upgraded room that would include the Executive Lounge (a cup of coffee in Sydney is $8-$10). While paying an additional $250/night may sound high to some, we are in a 570 sq. ft. room with full breakfast in the lounge, water and snacks throughout the day and an extensive evening appetizer buffet with cocktails, wines, etc.

This is simply an option that may be worth checking on. Also, due to unforeseen circumstances, we are still in Sydney (over a week post cruise) and the management has kept our rate at where it was when Regent was paying for a portion.

Now that I have written this, I may check about our pre-cruise stay in Beijing in a couple of months. Perhaps we will upgrade that as well.

Thanks, TC for the suggestion. I think I will try contacting the hotel directly.

That is excellent that the hotel is accommodating you by keeping your cost at the same out of pocket expenses. Hopefully the "unforeseen circumstances" are not negative in nature.

Edited by Eager2Travel

Which hotel did you choose in Beijing, TC? We had a less than optimal experience at the China World Shangri La last year, finding ourselves in an unrefurbished room which was dreary and rather grubby (though others were perfectly happy with their redecorated rooms, which suggests it could be the luck of the draw) On the basis of "forewarned is forearmed", if you've selected the CW, you might like to specify the level of accommodation you'd prefer.

I might add that the location of the CW could not be beaten IMHO since it's attached to a large mall with several alternative dining options and an underground station which is just three or four stops from Tiananmen Square.

Hope you are able to travel home soon.

Which hotel did you choose in Beijing, TC? We had a less than optimal experience at the China World Shangri La last year, finding ourselves in an unrefurbished room which was dreary and rather grubby (though others were perfectly happy with their redecorated rooms, which suggests it could be the luck of the draw) On the basis of "forewarned is forearmed", if you've selected the CW, you might like to specify the level of accommodation you'd prefer.

I might add that the location of the CW could not be beaten IMHO since it's attached to a large mall with several alternative dining options and an underground station which is just three or four stops from Tiananmen Square.

Hope you are able to travel home soon.

Really appreciate your post. Actually, Regent selected the China World Shangri La for our 3 night pre-cruise stay. Based on your post, I will definitely contact the hotel when we get home on Monday. Thrilled to hear that the location is good.

To be honest, we are not excited to be cruising again so soon after our last cruise. Cancelled and overbooked cruises caused the two cruises to be so close together. I don't want to hijack the thread. Did you post a review any where on CC?

Again, thanks so much for the valuable information.

Edited by Travelcat2

Agree about not wanting to hijack this thread - email me gillATthequarryhouseDOTcom and we can share information. We leave next week to join Mariner from Miami to Lima but I continue to blog, to email and to generally keep in touch with the world, wherever we are.

Agree about not wanting to hijack this thread - email me gillATthequarryhouseDOTcom and we can share information. We leave next week to join Mariner from Miami to Lima but I continue to blog, to email and to generally keep in touch with the world, wherever we are.
?

Will do.

(a cup of coffee in Sydney is $8-$10).
It is totally off topic but I want to correct this. You have also said the same thing in another thread. In Sydney you can get a magnificent latte, cappuccino, espresso etc for $4.00 to $5.00 Australian (tax included, no tip needed) just about anywhere at one of the literally hundreds of coffee shops across the city. Maybe you have some very special coffee but I'd find a new coffee shop if I were you. :)

It is totally off topic but I want to correct this. You have also said the same thing in another thread. In Sydney you can get a magnificent latte, cappuccino, espresso etc for $4.00 to $5.00 Australian (tax included, no tip needed) just about anywhere at one of the literally hundreds of coffee shops across the city. Maybe you have some very special coffee but I'd find a new coffee shop if I were you. :)

Went to the tourist area last night and did find "cheap" $5 coffee. However, it has been our experience the past week that coffee in the restaurants was an average of $7-8. A bottle of water in the tourist area is $3.50 (not bad). This is really not worth debating. Simply want to state that prices vary dramatically here. If you go to a Doyle's (a fish restaurant) you will pay $40 for fish and chips (for any doubters, kindly go to the Doyles website in Sydney). We can get a lovely fish and chips at a stand in the tourist area for perhaps $20-25 (depending upon the type of fish) Sydney has some fish that is much fishier than what I am used to. It isn't that one is better or worse. We live in a "fish" part of the U.S. and are used to lovely halibut, salmon and sole. Here there is barramundi (very misspelled) that was so fishy that we could not eat it. I quite frankly do not know which fish would be mild enough to order when we want fish and chips. Also, for fish and chip lovers (particularly the British), you may want to bring your own malt vinegar to the finer restaurants as they only have "white". I've been told that the fish and chip shops have the malt.

Yes - very off topic - sorry. Just need to stress that Australians are some of the kindest people we have met in the world (this is not a surprise as we have been here before).

Sydney, Australia is one of the most expensive places we have traveled to and we travel quite a bit. However, we have also considered moving there, it reminds us of San Diego but on steroids. It is beautiful and the people were wonderful. We traveled with Tauck in Australia and New Zealand and I think we stayed at the Langford in Sydney. It was excellent.

In Beijing, we thoroughly enjoyed the Peninsula. Their concierge level is outstanding.

What does any of this have to do with a one-night stay at the Rio Sheraton? The problem with the hotel has to do with the bad area in which it is located and the lack of personnel at the hotel. How would paying an extra few hundred dollars for the night alleviate these problems?

What does any of this have to do with a one-night stay at the Rio Sheraton? The problem with the hotel has to do with the bad area in which it is located and the lack of personnel at the hotel. How would paying an extra few hundred dollars for the night alleviate these problems?

The ship is docked in a much worse area. You should not even take a walk near the ship (according to locals that were kind enough to warn wandering passengers).

The OP was concerned about the Sheraton due to reviews. If you do not want Regent's hotel, you get your own and lose Regent transportation and must figure out how to get to the hotel form the airport (quite a distance in what could be the worst traffic we have seen in the world).

Then you can find your own transportation to the ship.

On the other hand, it is possible that a hotel with a poor rating has excellent service in their premium rooms (as is the case where we are currently). Even if the hotel room is small and the service sucks, at least Regent will get you safely to the hotel and then the ship.

As stated previously, Rio is gorgeous and there are many things to see. If you use a private guide or Regent you will be fine. Rio, Barcelona and Rome are amongst the top 10 cities in the world for pickpockets, etc. But, because of some violent crime in Rio, I would not travel on our own even though we have done our own transportation in both Rome and Barcelona

Hope this answers your question.

The ship is docked in a much worse area. You should not even take a walk near the ship (according to locals that were kind enough to warn wandering passengers).

The OP was concerned about the Sheraton due to reviews. If you do not want Regent's hotel, you get your own and lose Regent transportation and must figure out how to get to the hotel form the airport (quite a distance in what could be the worst traffic we have seen in the world).

Then you can find your own transportation to the ship.

On the other hand, it is possible that a hotel with a poor rating has excellent service in their premium rooms (as is the case where we are currently). Even if the hotel room is small and the service sucks, at least Regent will get you safely to the hotel and then the ship.

As stated previously, Rio is gorgeous and there are many things to see. If you use a private guide or Regent you will be fine. Rio, Barcelona and Rome are amongst the top 10 cities in the world for pickpockets, etc. But, because of some violent crime in Rio, I would not travel on our own even though we have done our own transportation in both Rome and Barcelona

Hope this answers your question.

RIO is very scary and we always use private guides in the cities that TC mentioned. Rio is beautiful but do not do it alone and Absolutly not wear ANYTHING expensive.

The city is surrounded by dangerous slums and gangs. Do your tour the right way and safe way. The Copa Cabana area is fairly safe but still be aware.

Edited by Suite Travels

Perhaps it's time for Regent to use another SA city for beginning and ending cruises.

NO city will be 100 pc safe but Regent could search out the safer cities.

And pax would not need an expensive Brazil visa. I just spent $400 for Brazil visa that's good for 10 years - I will not get my money's worth!

We certainly agree with Ted C. We would be much happier if this cruise didn't start in Rio. We are still working on the visa which we thought would be simple as there is a consulate in our city. Foolish us! And we still have to deal with the yellow fever shot.

Why do you need a yellow fever vacinnation??? Are you going somewhere else that requires it because embarking or disembarking in Rio does not require it. While I am 100% in favor of taking necessary immunizations, there is a risk involved for people over 60 (in case you are - don't know). In any event, we got letters from our doctor so that we did not have to have the immunization (my DH is over 60 and I'm a cat so it doesn't matter:-) We were not asked for the letter -- not by Brazillian authorities or by Regent.

P.S. Miles, do you still have the email address I sent you once? Would love to email you from lovely Sydney where we have been sort of held captive for a few days (in the lovely Four Seasons Hotel:-)

Eager2Travel,

I took the Regent Rio-to-Ft. Lauderdale cruise 2-years ago and reluctantly got the yellow fever shot because Regent supposedly required it although I knew that Brazil did not. Sure enough, I felt I had been duped when I boarded Regent in Rio and they never asked to see my yellow fever certificate.

While on the cruise, there was a family emergency that required me to leave the cruise in Barbados. At least then, Barbados would not allow anyone who had visited Brazil to enter their country without proof of the yellow fever vaccine. Fortunately, I had the proof and was allowed off the ship.

It is very rare for anyone to have an allergic reaction to the vaccine and if I were you, I'd get the vaccine.

We discussed the shot with our internist thinking he would give us a pass as we are over 60. He said there was no reason for us to not have it if it was suggested to do so. We stop in Dakar, Senegal so that may be the other reason that it is suggested.