How much time in Lyon, pre cruise?

horatio123

We flew the redeye to Paris..took the 200 mph high speed train (1st class both ways) to Lyon and spent 2 days before our River Cruise...it happen to be Easter weekend so there was alot going on..stayed at a small B&B and loved going to the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning before our departing on our River Cruise..upon our return to Lyon, spent the night and visited several Jazz Clubs and took the high speed train back to Paris the next morning and spent 3 days

Lyon is beautiful..agree with the poster that indicated 2 days should do it..Lyon at night on the River is beautiful

Thanks for this thread! I'm planning a driving vacation to link up with the AMA Provence cruise in Lyon, and was planning to just drive into Lyon on embarkation day. This thread has led me to add a day to the pre-cruise itinerary so we can do sightseeing in Lyon (in addition to what AMA will already include) and most importantly, have dinner in the culinary capital of France. [There's no smiley for drooling in anticipation...]

Last year we were on the Viking Rhone River cruise and spent a day and a half in Lyon - lovely city - wish we had more time there!!! We did eat lunch there and it was a wonderful mean - I had to try real quenelles!!!

You may have found all these links but they're from my last year's research. Hope you enjoy Lyon!!!! And hope the links work!!

Why Lyon is food capital of the world Travel The Observer

CafeComptoirAble

Chez Mounier Restaurant Reviews, Lyon, France - TripAdvisor

LeTibouren

La mere Jean, Lyon - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

L'Atelier - where we actually ate!!! Street full of restaurants!!!

Lyon is also know for its silk - fabulous silk shops and even a museum!

Soierie Saint Georges - Lyon Tourist Office and Convention Bureau - great slik store!!!!

Last year we were on the Viking Rhone River cruise and spent a day and a half in Lyon - lovely city - wish we had more time there!!! We did eat lunch there and it was a wonderful mean - I had to try real quenelles!!!

You may have found all these links but they're from my last year's research. Hope you enjoy Lyon!!!! And hope the links work!!

Why Lyon is food capital of the world Travel The Observer

CafeComptoirAble

Chez Mounier Restaurant Reviews, Lyon, France - TripAdvisor

LeTibouren

La mere Jean, Lyon - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

L'Atelier - where we actually ate!!! Street full of restaurants!!!

Lyon is also know for its silk - fabulous silk shops and even a museum!

Soierie Saint Georges - Lyon Tourist Office and Convention Bureau - great slik store!!!!

Peg,

Hope we have time to check out some of the silk shops while in Lyon. Thx for the link.

Becki

• 4 months later...

In March, we spent four nights in Lyon (before boarding Uniworld's SS Catherine) and it wasn't even enough time! Loved the city. Have stayed at the Sofitel (it's considered the city's best hotel but it's a bit tired, good service, though, and central location). On this trip we booked a flat, and that was -- fantastic! Went to the markets, cooked a little bit, enjoyed feeling like a local, and really, just relaxing into the city. It was not enough time :)

I think if we had more time we'd explore some of the outlying areas, but really, just enjoyed our time in the city.

Happy to send you info on the flat or anything else you want to know.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic