Excursions not booked through NCL

bellamoon

We've done it and plan to do it on our upcoming cruise. It also depends which port. You can go to the ports of call section and locate the ones you'll be going to and look through threads for local tours/excursions.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi...I'm new at this. I was wondering if anyone has ever just got off the ship at port and booked an excursion with one of the locals standing around the port holding a sign? Does anyone recommend doing this?

I see you will be going to Cozumel. We did this last month. We booked nachi cocom for the day directly online with their website. We had an awesome day. We will definitely do it again next time. $55 per person. All the alcohol you want. Three course meal. We never ordered dessert because we were too full. Lots of space. Beautiful pool with swim up bar. You get 2 chairs under a palapa. They only sell 100 tickets per day so not crowded. There were only about 45 people when we were there. The service is wonderful. You have top rebook online ahead of time. The taxi iservice is right outside the cruise terminal. It cost us $17 for the ride there because there was only two of us. We paid $5 per person on the ride back because we made 6 new friends at nachi to share the ride.

I've done it every cruise and with the exception of one time (in Tunisia) have never had a bad experience. Cost is usually about 1/2 of what the ship charges -- sometimes less. It helps to research and have a good idea of what you want to do and have a backup plan in place. You can also book online ahead of time many places if that makes you feel more secure than winging it.

Also be aware that if you book an excursion through the cruise line, and your excursion is delayed returning to the ship, the cruise line will do their best to get you back to the ship on time, and even then the ship may wait for an hour or two for your excursion party to return.

If you go with a local and their truck/car/van breaks down, the cruise line has no idea where you are, and most likely won't wait for you.

Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks for all the advice. I think i'll try it. Has anyone been to Belize and can recommend an excursion other than cave tubing?

Google Major Tom Belize --- He does several different tours including cave tubing, and is a real gentleman. We went to Altun Ha ruins and were treated with a great speech about Mayan history by him.

Thanks for all the advice. I think i'll try it. Has anyone been to Belize and can recommend an excursion other than cave tubing?

We were so fascinated by the Lamanai / New river Excursion that we did it Twice !! Speed boats, Gators , birds that walk on water, Howler monkeys and mayan ruins all make for a full day.

I would only do this tour through the cruise line as it is a long day to the middle of nowhere And Back .:)

Edited by biker@sea