R versus O ships for smooth sailing

PhD-iva

But at least I'll be very able to practice what Dan preaches! (Thanks, Dan, for reposting that. Now I have saved it so I know what to do in the future!)

Mura

P.S. Of course, as others have said -- when in doubt, book lower down and midships.

I think what you and others from Luann. dad to your experiences is that sea sick starts within the brain. If you think you are going to get sick you probably will ( like her dad standing on the dock getting queasy )

Its tolerance or intolerance and the more you sail the more you build up a conditioned expectation of success or failure. Much akin to Pavlofs dogs a conditioned response.

You can add to the center of the ship as low as possible AND as close to the mid-line ( which means an inside cabin will ride better than and outside cabin because it is close to the center line. In real heavy weather I have always found the best comfort with the snipes in the engine or fire room.

Also cabins which are parallel to that center line will ride better than one at 90 degrees to it because the head is aligned with the direction. Sort of like a gyro effect.

Whether its ginger, Bonnie, Dramamine, Scopolamine a rabbits foot or popcorn. 90% of the results will be you beleiving it will work... I have never taken and drug and been fine. ( in flying as a pilot toy cant take any drug and fly so attitude about the attitude all that is necessary)

Now Murna will never get sick because she will carry that secret print-out which is all powerful, handed down to Noah just before the great flood by angels... Its testimony speaks from the ages.

I was on the same TA with Wendy and Chat Kat from Barcelona to Miami in November. (Okay, I think Chat started in Istanbul) I had serious concerns about the sea states in the Central Atlantic even on the Riviiera. I did note the crew putting out extra sea sickness bags in the elevator lobbies a couple of nights but SWMbI and I never had the least problem. You could almost play pitch and putt most of the way across it was so smooth. We did the Baltic Cruise in July on Nautica. Our first cruise. High seas on the Baltic in Summer? Hah! Maybe once in a millennium. :D

The one consistent bit of advice I keep hearing is that for traveler's with gippy tummies is that it's better to book lower deck cabins, even inside cabins without windows for those more visually sensitive.

Oh, Bonamine or whatever yew callit is durt cheep at Costco Stores in the U.S. :cool:

JMBobB

Edited by JMBobB