R versus O ships for smooth sailing

PhD-iva

We`re just back from a ho-hum cruise on Celebrity (our sixth cruise overall and third w Celebrity) and I am ready to plan for an upgrade to Oceania for our next cruise.

Now that I have several cruises under my belt, I notice that I lose a day or two to seasickness when cruising in the Caribbean, but not when cruising in the Mediterranean. The pills/patch make me drowsy, hence I try to get by without medication when possible. After a day or two, I get my sea legs, and I'm fine.

I have wanted to move to a smaller ship, which even the O ships would be when compared to Celebrity's Solstice-class ships. I'm wondering if experienced Oceania cruisers notice if the smaller R ships experience more "rocking" than the larger O ships.

Thanks for your thoughts. I know motion sickness is very personal, but at some point I will have to make a choice between the R and the O ships. So, your thoughts will help me to make the decision.

I tend towards sea sickness myself but I can't say that I've noticed that much of a difference between the newer ships and the smaller ships. I've been sick on both and I've been fine on both!

As you say, though, it's hard to make a hard and fast rule between different people.

Mura

I have been on two of the O little Ships and sailed the Riviera recently. I have been on other ships in the same spot at the same time of year.

I think each ship and each person is affected by more factors than just the ship. The very same itinerary on a smaller ship resulted in no issues at all for me. But I can say that there was a major storm on the last cruise and seasick bags were out all over and even a few crew members were affected. Didn't bother me at all. On one cruise I had herb encrusted lamb and one look at the green herbs sent me right to my room with some bonine and ginger ale.

We have been on the R-ships during some rough seas & as long as I did not go to Horizons or near the front of the show lounge I was fine

Marina cruise I did not notice any rough water

Maybe a different seasickness medication would work for you

Lyn

You might want to try dried ginger -- it works and there are no side effects.

As far as ships the only issue we had was going through the Magellan straight. Many of the crew was sick on Insignia. We were in Toscana that night all alone. The Sommelier was an expert decanting the red wine with the ship rocking and rolling.

Both my sister and I suffer from motion sickness, too. We thought the grey wristbands were the best solution, although I always still had a dull headache. Then we found Bonine! It's a miracle for us. No motion sickness, no side effects. Get the chewable kind at Walmart or Walgreen's or wherever.

is always the "luck of the draw"...not matter what ship/size you are on!!! I think you have been given great advice how to "foil" off might what happen...based on the seas etc. Have fun no matter what ship you are on!!! LuAnn

Ships and how they sail is and will always be a product of the seas and conditions they sail on. Whether NCL, Holland, Regent, Cunard they are all of the same hull design. All will ride the same. Only the passenger will judge on the basis of flawed input that is in the final analysis subjective.

When I posted my first answer to the question I was also trying to deal with the realization that so much can depend upon the seas as well as the passenger. I've been on the "R" ships where seas were rough and I suffered -- going into Aruba one time on Regatta even the crew were suffering. On our first Marina cruise two years ago we had a couple of rough nights, although it wasn't bad. (We were in a Vista on Deck 10 but walking back to the room after dinner one night was quite an adventure, tacking from one wall to the other.)

But would it have been worse on one of the "R" ships? I have no idea.

I believe Hawaii Dan has suggested that standing at the front of the ship as you leave for 10-15 minutes will get you your sea legs. So far I haven't been able to try that one, but on our recent TA on MARINA we were on the opposite end of the ship and even though we had some rough seas (not many), for once I was never sick at all. I know from the motion we felt that in the past I would have been prone on the bed at least a few of those times. I'm crossing my fingers that maybe my body is finally used to rough seas after all our cruising in recent years.

But I won't bet on it!

HD, maybe you can repeat the instructions for this thread!

The only real way to compare the "R" ships to the "O" ships is for you (and not a stand-in) to be on BOTH ships in the SAME seas, and see how they compare!

True, Marina/Regatta are larger than Regatta/Insignia/Nautica, but they aren't exactly large as modern day ships go.

Mura

... Now that I have several cruises under my belt, I notice that I lose a day or two to seasickness when cruising in the Caribbean, but not when cruising in the Mediterranean... I'm wondering if experienced Oceania cruisers notice if the smaller R ships experience more "rocking" than the larger O ships.

Thanks for your thoughts. I know motion sickness is very personal, but at some point I will have to make a choice between the R and the O ships. So, your thoughts will help me to make the decision.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned room choice. My husband and I used to book a penthouse suite, admittedly mid-ships but still on an upper deck. Like you, I would lose a day to seasickness. (He's a good sailor.) When we chose a cruise on Nautica through some infamously rough seas, my husband said, "Enough. We're going to book the lowest balcony cabin and see if that makes a difference." Bingo. I came through two bad at-sea days with no problem as long as I spent my time...

... in the public lounges on deck five

... eating in the Grand Dining room (with a table away from the window)

I've found that I get seasick if I'm reading but I can catch the motion of the waves in my peripheral vision. The contrast between the fixed images of the words and the moving waves doesn't work for me. If I sit out on deck -- any level deck -- to read, I try avoid having the water in my line of sight.

Most recently, pulling out of La Coruna on Nautica, we were visiting friends in their Owner's suite at the rear of the ship on Deck Six, the same deck where we were staying mid-ships. The captain announced that we would experience considerable turbulance, and we sure did! The crew came rushing into the Owner's Suite to tie down all the outdoor furniture. We had fun lurching our way to the front door of the suite as we were leaving. With every step heading towards mid-ships, the ride got smoother and smoother. I estimate that we were as few as 20 feet down the corridor when the ride became totally smooth.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned room choice. My husband and I used to book a penthouse suite, admittedly mid-ships but still on an upper deck. Like you, I would lose a day to seasickness. (He's a good sailor.) When we chose a cruise on Nautica through some infamously rough seas, my husband said, "Enough. We're going to book the lowest balcony cabin and see if that makes a difference." Bingo. I came through two bad at-sea days with no problem as long as I spent my time...

... in the public lounges on deck five

... eating in the Grand Dining room (with a table away from the window)

I've found that I get seasick if I'm reading but I can catch the motion of the waves in my peripheral vision. The contrast between the fixed images of the words and the moving waves doesn't work for me. If I sit out on deck -- any level deck -- to read, I try avoid having the water in my line of sight.

Most recently, pulling out of La Coruna on Nautica, we were visiting friends in their Owner's suite at the rear of the ship on Deck Six, the same deck where we were staying mid-ships. The captain announced that we would experience considerable turbulance, and we sure did! The crew came rushing into the Owner's Suite to tie down all the outdoor furniture. We had fun lurching our way to the front door of the suite as we were leaving. With every step heading towards mid-ships, the ride got smoother and smoother. I estimate that we were as few as 20 feet down the corridor when the ride became totally smooth.

Maybe we've been lucky but have always (over 125 days) in the OS found it to be quite stable. This after our original two cruises in the VS where thee of us were so sick that two washrooms were not enough! You must have been in a pretty bad storm for the OS to have been so bad.

... But I can say that there was a major storm on the last cruise and seasick bags were out all over and even a few crew members were affected. Didn't bother me at all. ...

All I can say, being on the above cruise which was on Riviera, I found the ship very stable even during the alleged storm--yes, we weaved a bit walking down the hall, but I wasn't bothered. But then, see below, I was taking my Bonine, just as precaution. Next time I wouldn't bother, probably.

...Then we found Bonine! It's a miracle for us. No motion sickness, no side effects. Get the chewable kind at Walmart or Walgreen's or wherever.

I too take Bonine, but this time I stopped about day 10 of our 14-day crossing. I was having wild nightmares, really awful ones, and I thought it might be the drug. I see there is some small correlation, with a possible interaction with my blood pressure meds.

I found Riviera to be quite stable, to the point where I was missing the rocking at night, in bed (except during the stormy weather). I know, this is crazy coming from someone who has been known to get seasick on a short ferry ride. But I do like the sea to rock a bit at night.

Ok...

Here is what I have picked up from many ocean experiences in just about every sea and ocean in the world. It applies to 40 ft to 1100 ft vessels.

Getting sea sick is 3/4 parts mental and 1/4 part physical it is a version of what pilots call spatial disorientation or vertigo.

In that situation the eyes loose reference to the horizon and the optic nerve transmits to the inner ear a request for help. The ear can't see and has to rely on the fluids in the ear and these can be sloshed around by rolling or centrifugal or g forces. .( those who are pilots had to be induced into vertigo and be able to recover in flight training)

Once the eyes get a solid reference on the horizon and the body aligned with the direction of travel toward that horizon everything goes back to normal.

In flying and at sea I have seen people , myself included go from panic and sick as a dog to totally normal in less than 30 seconds !

Drugs for the most part do little and are more of a placebo than anything. ( 50% of sea sick people would get better sucking a lollypop if they were told it was a shure -fire cure) You can print this post too and put it in your left pocket and fold it with a 1 dollar bill right to left... it has special powers that make you immune to everything...do you believe!!!

Here is the routine I have and others ...learned it in the NAVY and Flying.

1.Get out on deck on the forward half of the ship where you can see where the ship is pointed and you can see beam to beam ( side to side) If the stern is all you have... just do as much as step2 as you can

2.Face forward in line with the ships course and feel the wind in your face .

You can be sitting or standing.. but not lying. Your inner ear will sense the speed and feel it The eyes will validate that.

3. Your head needs to square with your body looking ahead and not side to side, this establishes a reference. Keep the head steady. do not turn or dip your head up or down keep it totally square with the direction of travel looking at the horizon. Move your only your eyes NOT your head ( again pilots learn this when doing high speed acceleration or maneuvers like 2 and 3 G turns or getting launched of a ship or into space)

4.Beleive this will work 200%.. your brain is very powerful. If you think negative and defeat you will likewise In the final analysis it is mostly you making you sick....

Merry Christmas.... If you keep this post and are captured, destroy it. This information is too sensitive to fall into enemy hands....I am counting on you

I know, this is crazy coming from someone who has been known to get seasick on a short ferry ride. But I do like the sea to rock a bit at night.

I have the same problem I get sick on the ferry to to Toronto Islands

The sailboat & cruise ships I am fine ...go figure;)

Lyn

I have the same problem I get sick on the ferry to to Toronto Islands

The sailboat & cruise ships I am fine ...go figure;)

Lyn

Most ferry's in order to get into shallow ports and dock, are like barges and have a flat hulls like Landing ships and craft. and you have no clear view forward and they have large or wide beams too.

Sailboats and Cruise ships are of a deep V abd what is called "displacement hulls" Thy are meant to weather all manner of seas

Most ferry's in order to get into shallow ports and dock, are like barges and have a flat hulls like Landing ships and craft. and you have no clear view forward and they have large or wide beams too.

gee I did not know that:rolleyes:

here is a photo of the ferry that you can see forward & aft

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3098/2648044706_6231cf7a6d_z.jpg

no cars on that ferry

Oh, well that same design has been in use on bays rivers and lakes for over 100 years NY, SF, Seattle Puget, San Diego. Long beach Its a double ender with a bow at each end so it never has maneuver and may have screws and rudders at both ends. It can easily be adapted to load all sorts of stuff from either end so that one cargo can exit rapidly and also load.

The V hull/displacement is designed to track and maneuver in all manner of current and seas

I have found...over the years...that the more I sail the less I feel "that feeling"!!! Thank goodness! While I was lucky enough to start sailing on a 50 foot sail-boat in SD...then I "graduated" to a 75 foot sail-boat out of HI...and sailed around the HI Islands!!! and during that time I have sailed the "small" R ships to the "bigger" O ships...and the larger ships on X, HAL, Cunard, RCCL etc.....I do think...at least for me...that the more I have sailed...the better my "tolerance level" has become????

I do think that "tolerance" does have something to do with building up that "immunity" ...as in the more you do it...the better it gets??? At least...for me...

My dear, sweet Dad...who came back from WWII across the Atlantic after the end of the war...was never quite the same after that "crossing"...he could just stand on a "boat-dock"...and feel ill!!!! Thanks Dad for your service...and I will see you over on the "other ocean"!!!! LuAnn

We do miss them...when I was growing up in SD...they were "the way" to get to Coronado Island...it is really NOT an island...but everyone here has always called it that. My family used to go to the Hotel Del every Xmas Eve...because Dad's SD High School Choir...used to sing there...and the "Del" used to provide a dinner for all the choir members!!! What a special time....

And it was a "car ferry" then....I was so sorry when the City of SD decided to sell them off...while I love the "bridge" for the ease...it would have been great to keep some of the old ferries for the "thrill of the ride"!!!! LuAnn

I have found...over the years...that the more I sail the less I feel "that feeling"!!! Thank goodness! [sNIP]

I do think that "tolerance" does have something to do with building up that "immunity" ...as in the more you do it...the better it gets??? At least...for me...

I do think you have a point, LuAnn. I have found that while I've always been sensitive, I can be fine most of the time. Then, if we have one or more really bad days -- where I am lying down in bed because that's all I can do (preferably sleeping) -- then on the next cruise I am more susceptible to queasiness, even if it really isn't all that rough.

Given that I was fine on the Barcelona-Rio cruise we just took, and we did have a few roughish days and we were on Deck 11 at the absolute back end of MARINA, maybe I've built my tolerance back up.

We'll see when we return to MARINA in May for the NY-Dover North Atlantic crossing ... when we'll be bang in the front.

But at least I'll be very able to practice what Dan preaches! (Thanks, Dan, for reposting that. Now I have saved it so I know what to do in the future!)

Mura

P.S. Of course, as others have said -- when in doubt, book lower down and midships.