Chikungunya Fever

timem

I just received an advisory from Princess stating that Chikungunya Fever is currently present on the French side of St. Martin. We are due there in early January on Crown Princess and Princess says it has no plans to skip this port "at this time". The disease is spread by

mosquitos (which usually bite during the day). This notice was on my cruise personalizer. This disease is not pleasant and sounds somewhat like lyme's disease.

I just received an advisory from Princess stating that Chikungunya Fever is currently present on the French side of St. Martin. We are due there in early January on Crown Princess and Princess says it has no plans to skip this port "at this time". The disease is spread by

mosquitos (which usually bite during the day). This notice was on my cruise personalizer. This disease is not pleasant and sounds somewhat like lyme's disease.

I read about this earlier in a week and having just been to St Maarten it was a little creepy. We stayed on the Dutch side and did not get any mosquito bites. I would definitely take some powerful bug spray if headed to the French side.

We just got back from the Christmas week cruise and also got the warning about the mosquitos on the French side. We had booked an excursion to Orient Beach, and we didn't see one mosquito. It was fairly windy at the beach, which is what kept them away, I think. We didn't even take bug spray with us, and we were fine.

Lets look at this logacally people.

100 confirmed cases. So lets bump that up to 500 cases total, out of a population of 80,000 I would say you chance of catching the disease on a 9 hour trip to the Island is 0.5 / 100 AND THAT IS GENEROUS

Considering most mosquito's are more active during dawn/dusk (Non-Cruise hours).

Around Standing water, such as lakes or ponds (Non-Cruise destinations)

And also most tourists stay near the Ocean or Gulf meaning VERY breezy and zero standing water = a place Mosquitoes do not like.

You should be much more afraid of the FLU which is just as bad if not more LETHAL then Chick.

Common Sense is you best weapon folks. Not three kinds of repellant (one will do) and not locking yourself in a interior cabin for the day.

Edited by cbell21219

I cannot help but laugh at some of the stupid things people say.

If you really think that a imaginary line between the Dutch and French side of the Island keeps out infected mosquito I have a brand new Rolex watch to sell you lol.

329637dikh_w.jpg

Edited by cbell21219

• 1 month later...