Snow??

newyorkray

Our daughter is scheduled to fly out of NY on Friday to LA. We suggested she ask if she could get out on Thursday, but she's changing in Cleveland so that would risk getting stranded there. Just crossing out fingers that LGA is open by Friday afternoon. Other fingers are crossed for you! :)

For over 20 cruises, I've always flown in the day of the cruise, and I'm doing that again Jan 4 JFK to SJU for the Summit sailing. In winter you worry about snow, sleet, etc. In summer, T storms or tornadoes can throw airline schedules for a loop. And like Westlake Girl just said, the weather in other areas can affect your own airport. However, it has yet to happen to me, and I'm usually enjoying myself on the ship well before most other people have boarded. Someday it will get me, but in the meantime, the 20+ hotel nights I've saved have paid for a few other cruises.

We were fogged in in Feb. at Westchester NY and had to catch the cruise ship 2 days later in San Juan...missed it in Fort Lauderdale. We now always go 2 days before the cruise.

It seems like 90% of CC posters say they fly in the day before or earlier, while most cruisers I've talked to on board a ship have flown in that day.

Now that's interesting. What does this mean, do you think?

- Joel

Thank you for all who replied, however I am beginning to think my concern may not be warranted. It is Wednesdayy Jan 1 (HAPPY NEW YEARS) and they are predicting 6-10 inches of snow Thursday into Friday. My flight to Miami is 7:25 AM Saturday for Saturday's Reflection sailing. I am sure the airports will be ok on Saturday but a lot of people may have cancelled flights Thurs and Fri and afraid we may get bumped Saturday in favor of those who had earlier cancelled flights. Hope ChoiceAir can help me if that happens!

I guess you were better off staying with your Saturday plans as today you probably wouldn't be going anywhere!! It's horrible here on Cape Cod! Have a great cruise!!

Lots of cancellations at all NY airports this morning, but the flights from about 1pm all show "on schedule." They will be packed with all those bumped passengers, and this will probably extend to tomorrow's flights as well. But OP should be good with a confirmed seat on a flight tomorrow (just be sure to check in online right after the 24hour mark, and be ready to board the second they call your group).

Heading for airport with daughter now. Hope the above advice works for her!