Review of Silhouette Adriatic, Nov. 18 2013

cruise kitty

We dropped off our bags in our cabin, freshened up a little, & headed to Blu, it was lovely to cruise past San Marco as I sipped on my prosecco, after dinner we listened to our favorite trio in the ensemble lounge, next day would be Ravenna, Italy!

Day 10, Ravenna, Italy

I was up early & blow-drying my hair, it was still dark out but you could tell the seas were a bit rough, I checked the little message slot outside our door to see if there were any announcements, & then saw our steward nearby so I asked him if he thought we'd make the port, he said he really doubted it, so I told DH he should just go back to sleep, I finished getting ready & went to cafe bacio, ordered a nice latte, & relaxed for a bit, announcements came shortly that the port was closed & we didn't have a alternate port to go to...while I was very disappointed to miss Ravenna, I could see why, we were sailing through a pretty big storm.

We ate breakfast in Blu, & then settled down with lattes with a little Bailey's to watch the side show at guest relations! I have no idea if anyone received any compensation, but I certainly hope not.

A new daily planner was issued, full of activities for the day, DH & I settled in for a marathon gin rummy game on our lounges by the indoor pool.

DSCN1659_zpsa9384af8.jpg

IMG_0235_zps35728159.jpg

I should mention one little hiccup that occurred, I'd had to visit guest relations each day for the last 5 or 6 days because we while we had prepaid tips we were also being charged for them daily, for some reason, they were having trouble getting it cleared up, they could see that they had already been paid, but couldn't get the new ones off of our account, it finally worked out by the end of the cruise.

Another side note, the captain's club change took place around day 5 of our cruise, you'd have thought the sky had fallen some people were so worked up. :) A second letter was quickly issued explaining that this cruise would be counted under the old system & then converted over. The only thing I'm interested in is the free laundry, & the tender tickets, so I'm pretty easy to please. :) Right now we'd need a 3 night cruise to make elite under the new system, but living in California, that's probably not going to happen.:)

Day 11, sea day

The next day was our scheduled sea day, so we had back to back sea days, we both got massages (lovely) & I guess it was the last formal night (we were in blu, & dressed smart casual) There were quite a few tuxes & suits, but also plenty in smart casual, it was a very nice evening.

Venice, day 2

We were off the ship pretty early, we had booked the Secret Doge's Itinerary thru Ticket Italy & decided to just walk to San Marco rather than take the vaparetto, we managed to take a wrong turn & get completely lost, we showed up just as the tour was starting.

The tour was interesting, but for me a little claustrophobic, it was for me a very long time to be inside, you get to see Casanova's cell, learn about his escape, there are some very narrow stairways, & I just made sure I was last each time so I didn't feel too trapped, & tried to stand near a window whenever possible. We also toured the Doge's Palace after, & here I kind of lost it a bit, we couldn't find the exit, & seemed to walk in circles forever, I was pretty relieved to get outside in the fresh air again!

We saw lots of this around town:

[/url]

We spent most of the day just wandering, eating a little, we bought DH a thinsulate hat to wear under his regular hat because it was so cold, we would be in Paris for a week post cruise & temps there would be in the low 30's in the daytime.

Later in the day we returned to San Marco, & used Rick Steves audio tour for the Cathedral, & as the sun was lowering we started heading back to the ship, the All Aboard time was 5:45

We did not get tickets to Doge's. Now I am glad that we did not. We did have early bird tickets to San Marco and you believe that we got lost getting over to see it. We followed the signs/arrows and seemed like we were going in circles. We would ask for directions and everyone (locals) would say, it's just around the corner. We arrived just in time for our time slot, also!

As for the "no big ships" written all over town...GRAFFITI...really? :rolleyes: We had a guide that told us that tourist are destroying the bridges, but that it's the tourist money that can save Venice and help them repair. He said the situation with big ships is a Catch 22.

You know, I had to go look at my photos of Ravenna to remember what it looked like and what we did there. You didn't miss much. ;) We had a very long ride into the town and it rained on our day. In fact, I took the least amount of photos (24) than I did in any other port, in Ravenna. We saw two weddings and a funeral - honestly. :D Small town and most of the buildings looked the same. I think that the rain had a lot to do with it, and I am sure it is a lovely little town. :)

Glad you went to Paris post cruise. We went pre-cruise and then took the overnight train to Venice to start our cruise. A little rain, but warmer temperatures. I hope that you continue your review to include Paris! :)

Edited by Iamthesea

As for the "no big ships" written all over town...GRAFFITI...really? :rolleyes: We had a guide that told us that tourist are destroying the bridges, but that it's the tourist money that can save Venice and help them repair. He said the situation with big ships is a Catch 22.

You know, I had to go look at my photos of Ravenna to remember what it looked like and what we did there. You didn't miss much. ;) We had a very long ride into the town and it rained on our day. In fact, I took the least amount of photos (24) than I did in any other port, in Ravenna. We saw two weddings and a funeral - honestly. :D Small town and most of the buildings looked the same. I think that the rain had a lot to do with it, and I am sure it is a lovely little town. :)

Glad you went to Paris post cruise. We went pre-cruise and then took the overnight train to Venice to start our cruise. A little rain, but warmer temperatures. I hope that you continue your review to include Paris! :)

In Ravenna we were planning on touring the churches with the Byzantine mosaics...but I guess we'll do that next time, & yes I plan on including Paris. :)

Day 12, Catania; Sicily

We woke to the sight of a still smoking Mt. Etna outside (it had erupted days before)

DSCN1662_zps5cae4fef.jpg

We had decided to take the bus into Taormina, it's an easy walk to the bus station from port, but not very scenic... Catania has a bit of a gritty feel to it, it reminded me more of Spain than Italy

DSCN1800_zps80768c08.jpg

You buy tickets at an office that is kitty corner from the bus depot, there was only one person in line ahead of us, but for some reason his purchase took a good ten minutes...we got our tickets & ran, but the bus had left, there were about 10 people in line behind us who had wanted that same bus. Another one would be leaving in about 20 minutes, we took that one, but it was a mistake, it was the local bus which stopped at every little town on the way, it was an almost 2 hour ride! If we had waited 45 minutes we would have had the fast bus, oh well, it was very scenic & interesting.

DSCN1670_zps69ca5502.jpg

We bought our return bus tickets as soon as we arrived, & it was good that we did, the bus on the way back was standing room only.

DSCN1692_zps5d9fcab3.jpg

DSCN1693_zpseb94d52c.jpg

Catania, Sicily day 12 continued,

After an hour or so the passengers who'd taken the ship's tour started pouring into town, it really made for unpleasant crowds, I can't imagine what it would be like with 4 or 5 ships in port. My husband was not very fond of Taormina, it felt too touristy to him, but I think the big groups just turned him off. It also could be that we'd been gone from home for so long now, 17 days, we decided it was time for a snack.

DSCN1749_zps5d60d773.jpg

DSCN1743_zpse1579539.jpg

DSCN1744_zpsb5d59add.jpg

DSCN1765_zps6153e97a.jpg

DSCN1773_zps26a02980.jpg

Catania, Sicily, continue

DSCN1780_zpsc8a1760b.jpg

DSCN1760_zps17fe839f.jpg

DSCN1714_zps3f61b61a.jpg

The Silhouette in port

DSCN1807_zps08dd46af.jpg

The bus back was packed to the gills, but it was the fast bus, 45 minutes, we did a little shopping in Catania, we needed toothpaste & a few other items, then we headed back to our home on the ship!

Tomorrow, Naples

In Ravenna we were planning on touring the churches with the Byzantine mosaics...but I guess we'll do that next time, & yes I plan on including Paris. :)

We had also intended on seeing the mosaics, but when we got to the first (and best) church, found out that we had to buy a ticket to see all of the sites. We decided against it as we have seen many on our travels.

Catania, Sicily day 12 continued,

After an hour or so the passengers who'd taken the ship's tour started pouring into town, it really made for unpleasant crowds, I can't imagine what it would be like with 4 or 5 ships in port. My husband was not very fond of Taormina, it felt too touristy to him, but I think the big groups just turned him off. It also could be that we'd been gone from home for so long now, 17 days, we decided it was time for a snack.

DSCN1749_zps5d60d773.jpg

DSCN1743_zpse1579539.jpg

DSCN1744_zpsb5d59add.jpg

We felt the same as your husband. The crowds were brutal. We did, however, have a very nice lunch before the crowds hit.

We also saw a wedding in the church featured in your photo. :D Very interesting as the couple paraded themselves down the narrow streets. The brides gown was dragging on the pavers. Having a had a daughter recently get married, seeing that white dress get dirty made me cringe!:eek:

DSC09154.jpg.18c0187f9b01c31d7c0f9f2114d70a97.jpg

DSC09156.jpg.eee4dd782847561cfd84aa3364522f0b.jpg

We had also intended on seeing the mosaics, but when we got to the first (and best) church, found out that we had to buy a ticket to see all of the sites. We decided against it as we have seen many on our travels.

We felt the same as your husband. The crowds were brutal. We did, however, have a very nice lunch before the crowds hit.

We also saw a wedding in the church featured in your photo. :D Very interesting as the couple paraded themselves down the narrow streets. The brides gown was dragging on the pavers. Having a had a daughter recently get married, seeing that white dress get dirty made me cringe!:eek:

Our crowds weren't necessarily brutal, but it wasn't very peaceful, we had run into some tour groups in other towns, & it was fine, for some reason this was a very boisterous crowd, lots of waving & shouting of "Joe, here's the free water bottle place!" just not our style :) Could be that we were just in a bit of a mood that day, but I don't think we'll be rushing back to Taormina

I am really enjoying your review and photos. It sure brings back memories when we did the same cruise on the Silhouette.

Hats of to you:)

Thank you, I enjoy when other posters put up photos of their cruises, gives me great ideas of what I'd like to see next time! :)

Day 13 of cruise, Naples, Italy

Naples is always difficult for me because there are so many options! We decided today we'd be more relaxed & just go to Capri. After breakfast we headed out to the the ferry dock & purchased our tickets, Steve took a nap on the ride over, & I stood outside on the tiny back deck

DSCN1825_zps6a600427.jpg

DSCN1831_zps5baef5c5.jpg

As soon as we got to Capri, it started raining! We headed to the funicular which kept us dry & got us up to town the easy way:

DSCN1840_zps51a8e799.jpg

DSCN1844_zps0d2b3e19.jpg

DSCN1845_zps585fb05a.jpg

Naples, day 13 of cruise, continued

It rained a bit hard for the 45 minutes or so, we wandered the town, with no real plan in mind for the first time in weeks! Once you leave the town square area, the little pathways are twisting & narrow

DSCN1851_zps6b39eb60.jpg

DSCN1852_zps29da40eb.jpg

DSCN1861_zpsdf21d5a3.jpg

DSCN1863_zpsb0316dbb.jpg

We decided to head up to Villa Jovis, the ruins of a Roman palace, built by Tiberius in about 27 AD, it would be a nice little hike up to the top!

Day 13, Naples, continued

This little guy greeted us near Villa Jovis:

DSCN1886_zps8354b7fb.jpg

DSCN1901_zps471992ae.jpg

The walk down took a bit longer than the walk up, as it's pretty steep & slippery, we decided to head back to Naples, & try some of their famous pizza

DSCN1917_zps1767e0b6.jpg

DSCN1923_zpsd190430c.jpg

It was so good!

Day 13 of cruise, continued

We wandered around Naples a bit, Naples was crowded, lots of street vendors selling fake purses, trying to get your attention, one thing I found really funny throughout our trip was watching the vendors try to guess our nationality, the number one guess we got was Italian, very closely followed by Spain, & number 3 & 4 was a tie between German & French. I guess that because it was so off season, no one thought we were from the U.S.

A few shots of Naples:

DSCN1925_zps51a4d84c.jpg

DSCN1933_zpsb426a3a4.jpg

DSCN1934_zps28ac02e2.jpg

We returned to the ship, & it was time to pack, even though we'd be carrying off, it's nice to have it done, since I keep everything in packing cubes, it was pretty easy, we had gained quite a bit of souvenirs, so the extra duffle bag I'd packed came in handy.

We had bought oils, spices, a few food items, Christmas ornaments, & a ton of soap, here's all of our loot unpacked at home:

DSCN2681_zps9078061d.jpg

DSCN2702_zps14236b73.jpg

Last nights are so sad, but we still had Paris to look forward to, & for us, two weeks on board is more than enough, however, one bartender told us there were more than 750 people staying on board for the transatlantic, I don't know if I could do 4 weeks on board, but that's neither her nor there.

Day 14 of cruise, time to disembark

One thing I forget to mention, I had not been planning on buying an open passage as I usually do, due to it not being combinable with other offers, but they have changed it so that it is (with a reduced OBC) so I did buy one... now comes the hard part of waiting until March or April when the fall 2015 Europe itineraries are released, I've noticed that they are bringing the ships back super early this year, & I'm hoping they stay later next year, I guess we shall see!

We were showered, dressed & eating breakfast by 8, we'd put all of our luggage on the balcony so the steward could begin getting the room ready. After we took our luggage down to the Passport bar area & just relaxed with coffees until we were ready to walk off (we always just ignore the assigned time as we carry off) we had arranged for Bob's Limos to pick us up & transport us to the airport for our flight to Paris. It was bitterly cold & windy outside of the terminal & our driver was a little late, but we still arrived in plenty of time for our flight.

waiting for the flight:

IMG_0272_zpsf6c27362.jpg

The flight was uneventful, we were served an excellent meal, & I prepared to switch from my smattering of Italian, to my tiny knowledge of French.

We'd be in Paris for a week, I'm not going to do a day by day, as I think it's time to wrap this up, but I'm going to post some photos of the highlights.

Suffice it to say, Paris was absolutely amazing, DH is ready to move there, the people were so wonderful & helpful, it's gorgeous, the food is amazing, (although I confess, we lived on Xmas market food, it was so cheap & good, & you could eat it standing up)

Here you go:

f99cb34f-6976-41fc-9490-709e512e0597_zps042d1c2f.jpg

DSCN1962_zps50f60327.jpg

DSCN1973_zps9c414e19.jpg

DSCN2074_zps57a1bdea.jpg

For the Eiffel tower, we climbed the first two floors, & then took the elevator to the top (they won't let you climb to the top)

DSCN2080_zpsbc4ca1bc.jpg

Paris, continued

While we had no rain in Paris, it was freezing, as in daytime in the 30's, I actually had to go shopping & buy a jacket, Paris is definitely the place to do that!

more photos:

DSCN2108_zpsc43c5654.jpg

8DB14E1E-4464-459A-87E3-1789307637A1_zpsloa26s5w.jpg

Notre Dame, the climb to the top is so worth it!

DSCN2126_zps8141b12e.jpg

DSCN2137_zps63a8139b.jpg

DSCN2176_zpsf0d14e4e.jpg

Debbie,

Those are wonderful pictures and I am so happy you shared.

We also had a great time, even with the inclement weather. Sue and I both came home with wonderful memories - a one heck of a cold! I would do this same itinerary again and even at the same time of year. With only one port without a tour, we always seemed to be driving in the worst of the rain and it seemed to clear up completely or wind down to a drizzle every time we got out to walk around.

Unfortunately, my pictures will have to wait on my computer for a while yet as our house has sold and we are into serious packing for our move up north. But you have certainly inspired me to get on with it after seeing the beautiful shots you took. Bravo!

Barb

Debbie,

Those are wonderful pictures and I am so happy you shared.

We also had a great time, even with the inclement weather. Sue and I both came home with wonderful memories - a one heck of a cold! I would do this same itinerary again and even at the same time of year. With only one port without a tour, we always seemed to be driving in the worst of the rain and it seemed to clear up completely or wind down to a drizzle every time we got out to walk around.

Unfortunately, my pictures will have to wait on my computer for a while yet as our house has sold and we are into serious packing for our move up north. But you have certainly inspired me to get on with it after seeing the beautiful shots you took. Bravo! Barb

Hi Barb!

I totally agree, it's worth a little rain for the peaceful atmosphere, & there's always somewhere to get out of the rain! The only port where our plans were disrupted was Corfu, where we'd planned on ATV's all over the island... that was certainly not going to work!

A little bummed about missing out on touring the amazing churches & museums in Ravenna, but hopefully we'll get to them someday.

Hope your granddaughter is doing well & good luck on the move, I enjoyed meeting you & so appreciate your positive energy & enthusiasm,

looking forward to your review!

Debbie