Review of Silhouette Adriatic, Nov. 18 2013

cruise kitty

Hi Barb!

I totally agree, it's worth a little rain for the peaceful atmosphere, & there's always somewhere to get out of the rain! The only port where our plans were disrupted was Corfu, where we'd planned on ATV's all over the island... that was certainly not going to work!

A little bummed about missing out on touring the amazing churches & museums in Ravenna, but hopefully we'll get to them someday.

Hope your granddaughter is doing well & good luck on the move, I enjoyed meeting you & so appreciate your positive energy & enthusiasm,

looking forward to your review!

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Loving your photos and so happy you loved paris. No matter how often i go, I never get tired of that city.:D i am planning to go again next year at least once and possibly also in december. Winter is the one time I have never been there so thanks for your photos to give me an idea of what to expect.

Sorry I did not get to meet you on the cruise but maybe another time.

I will be on the Reflection TA back to rome in April. then it is on to bologna for a few days where i am taking the train to Ravenna to see the mosaics. I booked the Adriatic cruise specifically for that port as I studied them in Art history when i was in college. So devastated would be the word when I found out we couldn't dock there. But it just gives me a good excuse to return to Italy sooner! Lol

Thank you again, also for the cat photos.I think I got photos of some of the same ones! As you can tell, I am also a cat lover.

Anne

We were showered, dressed & eating breakfast by 8, we'd put all of our luggage on the balcony so the steward could begin getting the room ready. After we took our luggage down to the Passport bar area & just relaxed with coffees until we were ready to walk off (we always just ignore the assigned time as we carry off)

I was so tickled at your statement about leaving the luggage on the balcony. I have never heard of anyone doing so.:D I have visions of the window/balcony washer coming by and soaking all your belongings. :eek:

cruise kitty - Thank you for finishing up your review. You outdid yourselves with the photos of Paris! I don't know if it was the winter light or the Christmas lights, but those are some of the prettiest photos of the Eiffel tower that I have seen. It was raining when we saw the tower at night, but I did get a couple of good shots.

I think that I can see our apartment from your photo on the top of the Notre Dame. :D Renting an apartment for 4 days was one of the highlights of our visit. So Parisian and spacious, plus it was near everything. We mostly walked to all sites, including the tower. We could see the tip of the lights from our terrace at night. ;)

I am sad for your trip review to end. :(

DSC08216.jpg.4281416948f30c743a5ae4f5739ab6bd.jpg

552-48.jpg.a901c0e486bf20a687562ce5e344e8d5.jpg

DSC08418.jpg.be2a0b906923392fa01b84e10488be17.jpg

I was so tickled at your statement about leaving the luggage on the balcony. I have never heard of anyone doing so.:D I have visions of the window/balcony washer coming by and soaking all your belongings. :eek:

cruise kitty - Thank you for finishing up your review. You outdid yourselves with the photos of Paris! I don't know if it was the winter light or the Christmas lights, but those are some of the prettiest photos of the Eiffel tower that I have seen. It was raining when we saw the tower at night, but I did get a couple of good shots.

I think that I can see our apartment from your photo on the top of the Notre Dame. :D Renting an apartment for 4 days was one of the highlights of our visit. So Parisian and spacious, plus it was near everything. We mostly walked to all sites, including the tower. We could see the tip of the lights from our terrace at night. ;)

I am sad for your trip review to end. :(

Hi, thank you for your kind comments, I think it's hard to get a bad photo of the Eiffel Tower! It did take me a while, but I'm glad I finished & am ready to start planning the next trip! :)

Hi Debbie,

Loving your photos and so happy you loved paris. No matter how often i go, I never get tired of that city.:D i am planning to go again next year at least once and possibly also in december. Winter is the one time I have never been there so thanks for your photos to give me an idea of what to expect.

Sorry I did not get to meet you on the cruise but maybe another time.

I will be on the Reflection TA back to rome in April. then it is on to bologna for a few days where i am taking the train to Ravenna to see the mosaics. I booked the Adriatic cruise specifically for that port as I studied them in Art history when i was in college. So devastated would be the word when I found out we couldn't dock there. But it just gives me a good excuse to return to Italy sooner! Lol

Thank you again, also for the cat photos.I think I got photos of some of the same ones! As you can tell, I am also a cat lover.

Anne

Hi Anne, I'm so glad that you're going to get to go Ravenna after all, I'm hoping someday to make it there, I'm just really grateful that we had our Venice sail in & such gorgeous weather there! I booked because it sounded like that would be ending & it looks like it's true.

Enjoy your TA on the Reflection!

Hi Anne, I'm so glad that you're going to get to go Ravenna after all, I'm hoping someday to make it there, I'm just really grateful that we had our Venice sail in & such gorgeous weather there! I booked because it sounded like that would be ending & it looks like it's true.

Enjoy your TA on the Reflection!

Yes I wouldnt count on large ships sailing in there in the future, and we were certainly fortunate to be able to do it in November.

But considering it is Italy, who knows what the final rules will be? Lol:D

Anne

Just wanted to thank you again for a wonderful review & all your pictures were beautiful, especially your Paris ones, loved them. :D

I had asked you early on in your review about the "magnetic hooks" that you took, how heavy were they (what weight could they hold)? I saw some at Walmart, but most only hold 1 lb. Thanks for any help & again thanks for taking us along on your travels. :)

Just wanted to thank you again for a wonderful review & all your pictures were beautiful, especially your Paris ones, loved them. :D

I had asked you early on in your review about the "magnetic hooks" that you took, how heavy were they (what weight could they hold)? I saw some at Walmart, but most only hold 1 lb. Thanks for any help & again thanks for taking us along on your travels. :)

Hi, they are Neodym magnets, you can get them in different strengths, I think mine were rated at 12 pounds, but that if the magnet is on the edge of a flat surface, so mine held more like 5 pounds on the door, on the wall, not so much, on the walls...

I might buy another set for cruising, this time I'll get the ones rated 50 pounds, they're not cheap anywhere from $20 to $30 for a set, depending on how strong they are, & how many you get.

I just found some that are rated 80 pounds. This review impressed me.

Using the magnets to hold up bamboo shades on our screened in porch. Top floor of a condo unit, very windy at times, framework of the structure is sheetmetal. The strength of the magnets holds up the roll down shades without any problems. Works great!

If the magnets can hold up to pulling roller shades up and down, they would have to be strong enough to use on the walls in the stateroom for hanging a pocketbook, etc.

My worry is flying with these magnets. Do you put them in your carry-on or checked baggage?

I just found some that are rated 80 pounds. This review impressed me.

If the magnets can hold up to pulling roller shades up and down, they would have to be strong enough to use on the walls in the stateroom for hanging a pocketbook, etc.

My worry is flying with these magnets. Do you put them in your carry-on or checked baggage?

Hi, I had the in my carry on, & yes, i wish I'd bought stronger ones, for next time, I will.:)

Great! So no problem with security? They are so strong, but can't imagine why they would be prohibited. Wonder if the magnets would stick to the airplanes interior someplace. I could hang my bag near the window for easier access. :D Just kidding! I can see the magnets pulling something inside the wall and bringing down the plane somehow. :eek:

Thanks again for the tip. I am ordering the 80 lb. BTW- Found some that are 125lb., too. All on Amazon.

Wow Debbie, a great report and loved the pics.

We will be in Paris after a river cruise in July, was wondering what area you stayed in. We were looking at a hotel on Ile de la Cite not far from Notre Dame, it looks like its a very convenient area for walking to most places, we try and walk alot and occassionally use public transport.

We had been to some of the cities/towns that you went and was great to bring back memories of past trips.

Thank you again for taking the time to do this, it was fantastic

Deb

We will be in Paris after a river cruise in July, was wondering what area you stayed in. We were looking at a hotel on Ile de la Cite not far from Notre Dame, it looks like its a very convenient area for walking to most places, we try and walk alot and occassionally use public transport.

We had been to some of the cities/towns that you went and was great to bring back memories of past trips.

Deb

Hi, we stayed at the Hilton La Defense, it's outside of the Paris center, but it sits literally on top of a metro/train station, so it took about 10 minutes to get into Paris... we only stayed there because it was free with our points.

The area that you're talking about sounds fantastic, that's pretty much central Paris... once you're in Paris, everything is walkable, I think we probably walked 15 or more miles a day. :)

Have a wonderful time! :)

Just wanted to let everyone know who is interested in the "magnetic hooks", that I found some at Home Depot. It holds up to 65 lbs. with a nice hook and they were $9.98 ea. I bought one to try on our upcoming cruise so if it works OK, I'll go back & get more. :D

Deb

Our apartment was right off of Ile de la Cite. A great location!

Just wanted to let everyone know who is interested in the "magnetic hooks", that I found some at Home Depot. It holds up to 65 lbs. with a nice hook and they were $9.98 ea. I bought one to try on our upcoming cruise so if it works OK, I'll go back & get more. :D

Thanks for the information. I got my 80lb magnets from Amazon. Tried them out hanging vertically on a wire napkin holder. I had to hold the napkin holder down to the counter, but the magnet held with my heavy pocketbook on it. :)

Hi, thank you, I'll have to check out home depot :)

cruise kitty ~ just love, love, love your photo review!!!!!! Backed into it from another CC thread!!! I SO enjoyed your photos - especially the "different" ones - food, etc! - we are kindred spirits since I usually take those kinds also!!

Your ship's review brought back so many memories - just what I needed on this NYC snowy morning!! While we didn't take your same cruise, we did visit many of same ports in 2008 on Celebrity's Summit - Venice (my favorite city!), Dubrovnik, Naples, Rome, Tuscany (Livornia) - it was fabuulous seeing the photos - actually felt like I was there!!!

And Paris, what can I say - we were there for 4 too-short days in 2012 pre-river cruise and will be back again this September for a week!!! So really enjoyed seeing those photos!!

But, I have to add, that besides the fabulous photos, I SO enjoyed your positive, up-lifting spirit in your descriptions!!! Cold didn't get you down, you dealt with crowds, took "regular" transportation (age is changing our out-look on that!) - Hurray for you guys!!!

Can't wait to read/see your next adventure!!!!

cruise kitty ~ just love, love, love your photo review!!!!!! Backed into it from another CC thread!!! I SO enjoyed your photos - especially the "different" ones - food, etc! - we are kindred spirits since I usually take those kinds also!!

Your ship's review brought back so many memories - just what I needed on this NYC snowy morning!! While we didn't take your same cruise, we did visit many of same ports in 2008 on Celebrity's Summit - Venice (my favorite city!), Dubrovnik, Naples, Rome, Tuscany (Livornia) - it was fabuulous seeing the photos - actually felt like I was there!!!

And Paris, what can I say - we were there for 4 too-short days in 2012 pre-river cruise and will be back again this September for a week!!! So really enjoyed seeing those photos!!

But, I have to add, that besides the fabulous photos, I SO enjoyed your positive, up-lifting spirit in your descriptions!!! Cold didn't get you down, you dealt with crowds, took "regular" transportation (age is changing our out-look on that!) - Hurray for you guys!!!

Can't wait to read/see your next adventure!!!!

Hi, thank you so much! We had such a great time, & yes, I'm planning for next time, can't wait till next years itineraries are released!

Awesome review. I would love to go on the same trip.

Hi, & thanks! This was a wonderful itinerary, I hope you get to experience it someday! :)

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for writing such a great review and including your awesome pictures! We can't wait to get back to the Mediterranean on a cruise ship, but until then, we will just have to visit through other travellers...