Changes on QM2

rsquare

After doing a crossing each spring for the last few years, I skipped the 2012 crossing to take care of my terminally ill wife, and returned to the ship, alone this time, for the 15 December westbound TA. In that year and a half period, I saw a number of changes; as Democritus no doubt meant to say, you can't cruise in the same ship twice.

The first intimation that things were changing came the first night, when my steward left two mini-chocolates on the pillow. Compared with the chocolates from previous trips (which I take home), the new ones have shrunk by 45%. I also seem to recall that cabins used to have an assistant steward, but if I am thinking of another line, I'm sure that I will be corrected; at any rate, only a single steward took care of me.

I also recall the availability of sugar-free desserts each night, which appear to have been replaced by low-sugar selections. As a diabetic, this is a significant change for me.

The Carvery seems to have disappeared from Kings Court, and the oriental food station is now down to a single Chinese dish at lunch time instead of a full selection of oriental dishes. On the plus side, the specialty dinner restaurants in Kings Court included, for the first time that I can recall, an Indian restaurant called Coriander with excellent and well-presented Indian dishes.

The final change may be a plus to some, a neutral to others, or a downgrade to Coke fans like me. Cunard has switched soda suppliers from Coca Cola to Pepsi Cola. I had one of the last cans of Diet Coke on board QM2, with only Diet Pepsi available the last day of the crossing.

All of this is relatively trivial, just a reminder that ships, like living organisms, change over time.

After doing a crossing each spring for the last few years, I skipped the 2012 crossing to take care of my terminally ill wife, and returned to the ship, alone this time, for the 15 December westbound TA. In that year and a half period, I saw a number of changes; as Democritus no doubt meant to say, you can't cruise in the same ship twice.

The first intimation that things were changing came the first night, when my steward left two mini-chocolates on the pillow. Compared with the chocolates from previous trips (which I take home), the new ones have shrunk by 45%. I also seem to recall that cabins used to have an assistant steward, but if I am thinking of another line, I'm sure that I will be corrected; at any rate, only a single steward took care of me.

I also recall the availability of sugar-free desserts each night, which appear to have been replaced by low-sugar selections. As a diabetic, this is a significant change for me.

The Carvery seems to have disappeared from Kings Court, and the oriental food station is now down to a single Chinese dish at lunch time instead of a full selection of oriental dishes. On the plus side, the specialty dinner restaurants in Kings Court included, for the first time that I can recall, an Indian restaurant called Coriander with excellent and well-presented Indian dishes.

The final change may be a plus to some, a neutral to others, or a downgrade to Coke fans like me. Cunard has switched soda suppliers from Coca Cola to Pepsi Cola. I had one of the last cans of Diet Coke on board QM2, with only Diet Pepsi available the last day of the crossing.

All of this is relatively trivial, just a reminder that ships, like living organisms, change over time.

When I was last aboard QM2 which was 2 months ago for the October New England/Canada cruise I also noticed that the 2 chocolate mints that are left on the pillow seemed to be smaller than the chocolate mints from previous voyages aboard both the QM2 and the now retired QE2. Regards,Jerry

This is a disturbing trend. On Crystal there are no chocolates at all and now Cunard is cutting down. I am disappointed to hear about the Carvery closing; I did not get a chance to try it on my 2 previous trips although I planned to definitely go on my trip next year. Indian cuisine is not my first choice, but I will probably try it one night for a change of pace; I guess when one door closes, another opens.

I used to like the Asian section as well but now they seem to just have the same offerings as the other stations. The other dishes, at times, don't really mingle well with the one Asian selection.

The nighttime chocolates were downsized quite a while back. I think that many of us take them home....maybe they decided that it wasn't their job to contribute to our "at home" pleasures. :)

I distinctly remember there being an assistant cabin attendant as well.....we both could be mistaken, but I don't think so.

I've had no problems with their cutbacks so far, but if they eliminate the slippers, I'm speaking up. :D

Yes, Bob, the turn-down chocolates are smaller, for about a year now … see photo ... "give 'em the same thing, but smaller" ... less is less, and saves Cunard money.

I was on your voyage, M333, Britannia cabin, only one steward, Gerry, well-regarded. Only one steward for the patch. A cost savings.

I was told of no plentiful caviar in Queens Grill dinning. There, but you must ask. Cabin hors d'oeuvres do not feature caviar. Again, you can have them, but must ask.

No longer is there a mid-week cabin-delivery of your on-board expenses. They ask you to go to the Purser's Desk and ask for it. A paper savings there.

In King's Court, I felt of the four sections, The Carvery seemed to no longer do "English" specialities, The Lotus lacked any "Oriental" flavor to speak of save one or two daily dishes, La Piazza did cover a dish or two in tomato sauce, otherwise all featured the same dishes. The Chef's Galley seems to have scrapped the idea of one-off dishes you watch prepared, for routine burgers and fries. Just another take-out stand. I felt daily the three buffet stations had the same lunch dishes, same presentations, as if there was one menu done for all areas. No more individualized section foods. Cookies? No, catch as catch can anywhere, although each daily Tea had a plate out. I asked. Throughout I felt the food portions as plated were smaller. Not a bad thing, that, considering how many folk just take and take and leave so much left over. So there must be a prep and quantity saving there. The nightly speciality restaurant idea does nothing English now, but The Lotus is still well done and seemed quite popular, and "they've" added a new theme, for Indian food, The Coriander

Not to nit-pic, but … I know Carnival buys a boombazillion coffee stirrers and small paper napkins and distributes same across Cunard ships, but really, how higher in cost would be three lots, each with a Queen ship logo?

Yes, ships do change. Change is good. Can be. But more and more I see a "corporatization" on QM2, becoming less "English, more "International," more Third-World, more just another ship in the Carnival fleet, now flagged out of Hamilton. Still, she's big, she's Mary, I like her.

981743358_Screenshot2014-01-03at6_26_16PM.jpg.5a9c27c95e29fcebae5f861457b9b865.jpg

No longer is there a mid-week cabin-delivery of your on-board expenses. They ask you to go to the Purser's Desk and ask for it. A paper savings there.

We were on the QM2 in July for just one week and we got an interim statement delivered to our room without asking for one.

Ab Ovo, your comment about paper savings on board reminded me of this:

On my QM2 voyage last September, I dropped by the Pursar Desk and asked for a copy of my in-folio stateroom charges.

The woman behind the desk called up my account on her computer. "Would you like me to read to you your charges?", she asked. That rather surprised me because by that point in the voyage, I knew I had a considerable number of charges. Also, there was a number of passengers waiting in line behind me. So I replied "No, thank you. I'd prefer a print out, if that's possible?" "Well, yes, Madame, it is possible. I was just trying to save paper."

Hopefully, that was just a one-off as it was a response that I encountered only that one time.:eek:

Edited to add: I just read Ray's post, and I wonder if it's possible that sometimes the ship runs low on paper and it becomes necessary to conserve on print outs?

Edited by Salacia

No, I think it's just a case of within five months, things change. :) or :mad:

I hear that. And from my experience, things also vary from voyage to voyage. I've been on voyages that were heavily discounted after final payment date - and that had an effect on various aspects of the voyage, most obviously on the menu. Every voyage is different; consistency of service, style or amenities on board is no longer something I expect. And as you indicated that could be :) or :(

Edited by Salacia

We enjoyed the QM2,NZcruise last year and will embark in 6 weeks for the Round Australian one.

We were Q5,and very much enjoyed it,I have to agree that the"turndown"chocolates were not worth eating but there were delish chocs in our cabin on embarking.

Not to mention the petit fours with coffee.

I thought Osman was terrific and resolved a rather nasty incident with two of our dining companions[some will remember the flying menu/breadrolls or the rather bizarre incident of the shoes on the table]

I have severe dietary restrictions and each evening the next days' menu arrived for my chosing,off menu items were never a problem to pre order.

Our cabin stewards [there were two]did a great job,breakfast always on time,ditto canapés[special order for me]beds made and everything shipshape when we got back from breakfast or a shore excursion.Of course they received suitable,generous recognition as did our Grill waiter.My only gripe was the pushy attitude of the wine waiter,there is no way we will buy ultra expensive wine but will have wine at night with dinner,we also wanted to try wine that we would never find in Australia.

In short,we really enjoyed our voyage and are looking forward not only to our next cruis but NZ in 2015

Yes, Salacia, they can even change voyage to voyage. I got off M333 22 December. I had to turn in my room card to Security when getting off. This has been usual for years. Elsewhere I've read this morning two different people posted getting off QM2 yesterday and did not have to turn in their card. One just figured it a security oversight in the rush of getting off, another said they were given the card back. This could be nothing, could be a change. Anyone here just off M401 have their card given back?