Ruby - Christmas Cruise 12.22-12.26 Review/Thoughts w/Photos

LollyMoz

Enjoyed reading your experiences on the Ruby. We just completed our first Princess cruise on the Ruby 12/18-12/22. I will confess to being a very loyal Celebrity cruiser.

For the most part we found the cruise to be very enjoyable. However we did notice a couple of things that were negatives to us. First the Horizon court buffet area is the worst layout we have seen on any cruise ship! I can't imagine what the designer was thinking about. The space is too small and the traffic pattern is ridiculous. During breakfast periods the center gates remained closed which compounded the problem.

Second when designing the ship someone took "can't get there from here" literally! You seriously can't get to the Botticelli dining room on deck six without going up to deck seven then back down! Seriously?

Overall we had a very nice time, and would not hesitate sailing Princess again.:)

I'm so glad you posted returning to ports photos. As mentioned on other threads, that is the final excursion of our cruises and I always look forward to being up early and waiting for that pilot boat to come out to ship.

Thanks, again, for a great review. My former (now deceased) in-laws used to live in Palm Harbor. Nebraska St??

Happy New Year!!! I hope you'll get to see the "Ball" come down and enjoy your New Year's Eve in comfort!!

Lynne

LollyMoz, loved your review of the Ruby. We will be on her in June in Norway for the North Cape and Summer Solstice. This will be our 9th Princess cruise, our first goes back to May of '89 from Tokyo to Vancouver. It's been a few years since cruising with Princess but looking forward to being on a Princess ship again. Can't wait to try the restaurants, and various venues again. Your writing has made me very excited to be on the ocean once again on a Princess ship. Our last three have been of Celebrity and we are ready for a change.

Thank you for reminding me how great Princess can be.

Carol

[quote name='Pia1913']We did too. Our door had Santa and some candy canes. Very few doors were decorated which I believe is due to the fact that the majority of the ship had first time cruisers. They just didn't know they could do that.[/QUOTE]

We had a wreath on our door but alas, We forgot to take a picture !

[quote name='stunnedinva'][quote name='LollyMoz']Please don't hesitate to ask questions - I'm happy to answer.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=seagreen]I haven't seen any posts from these short cruises on the [U]Ruby[/U] about the beds. Did you hear any complaints about rock-hard mattresses, or did everybody seem to be sleeping like babies? [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=seagreen][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=seagreen]Thanks![/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

We were in this ocean view quad and the beds were tres comfortable both lower and top. Small asleep as soon as you sink into the mattress with sheets f sufficient thread count. [attachment=235401:name]

Thanks for the great review, Laura! I'm glad you were able to get the photos to show up.

I especially enjoyed the beautiful photos of the sunset and returning to the dock, but your food pictures made me hungry! Especially the shrimp bisque, scallops, lobster cake, and even the black and bleu French onion soup (yes, I can enjoy a little moldly cheese). At first I wondered why I didn't remember seeing so many of those menu items, but then I realized that you were dining at Crown Grill. Hmm... maybe I'll have to do that some time (although I don't know if it would interest my wife).

I have to confess that for some reason I thought that the story about finding bacon on your floor was funny (but if it happened to me, it probably wouldn't be so funny). :eek:

Sorry to hear that your husband hurt his back, but I'm glad that the hot tubs provided some relief. I pray that he is back to full health now.

Do you think you can share your Platinum Studio photos? Did you feel like the photographer captured your story like they say they will? We thought about doing a sitting there but I was afraid that we might really like the photos too much (and that I would end up regretting the cost).

It's kind of silly to say this, but after reading your review I feel like now we need to cruise on the Ruby Princess. You see, our first Princess cruise was on the Sapphire, where our cruise card was blue. Then we were on the Golden, where our cruise card was gold. Recently I received an email from Princess informing me that we have moved up to the Ruby level (I wasn't expecting that, as I didn't even realize that there was a Ruby level) so of course that makes me think that now we should cruise on the Ruby Princess. Unfortunately Florida is too far away (the last time we were there was 1993) so it probably won't ever happen. Besides, eventually we will have to break away from the color code anyway, unless Princess builds a "Platinum" Princess. :rolleyes:

Have a happy, healthy New Year!

Tim Edited by terrific_surprise

[quote name='terrific_surprise']Thanks for the great review, Laura! I'm glad you were able to get the photos to show up.

I especially enjoyed the beautiful photos of the sunset and returning to the dock, but your food pictures made me hungry! Especially the shrimp bisque, scallops, lobster cake, and even the black and bleu French onion soup (yes, I can enjoy a little moldly cheese). At first I wondered why I didn't remember seeing so many of those menu items, but then I realized that you were dining at Crown Grill. Hmm... maybe I'll have to do that some time (although I don't know if it would interest my wife).

I have to confess that for some reason I thought that the story about finding bacon on your floor was funny (but if it happened to me, it probably wouldn't be so funny). :eek:

Sorry to hear that your husband hurt his back, but I'm glad that the hot tubs provided some relief. I pray that he is back to full health now.

Do you think you can share your Platinum Studio photos? Did you feel like the photographer captured your story like they say they will? We thought about doing a sitting there but I was afraid that we might really like the photos too much (and that I would end up regretting the cost).

It's kind of silly to say this, but after reading your review I feel like now we need to cruise on the Ruby Princess. You see, our first Princess cruise was on the Sapphire, where our cruise card was blue. Then we were on the Golden, where our cruise card was gold. Recently I received an email from Princess informing me that we have moved up to the Ruby level (I wasn't expecting that, as I didn't even realize that there was a Ruby level) so of course that makes me think that now we should cruise on the Ruby Princess. Unfortunately Florida is too far away (the last time we were there was 1993) so it probably won't ever happen. Besides, eventually we will have to break away from the color code anyway, unless Princess builds a "Platinum" Princess. :rolleyes:

Tim[/QUOTE]

Actually I'm not the original poster of this thread with photos I just posted the link to my review.

Yes, Viri was one of our favorites as well. We wanted to bring about a dozen of them home with us, but could not find room in our suitcases! (I'm sure ICE would have frowned upon that as well...)

Glad you enjoyed the cruise, and our 4 hour dinner at Crown Grill with Paul, Elizabeth, ken and Merrily was our favorite as well...

[quote name='terrific_surprise']Thanks for the great review, Laura! I'm glad you were able to get the photos to show up.

Tim[/quote]

Tim - I definitely did think that the Platinum Studio shots were worth it. I would have liked to have been able to get more of the photos, but alas, they were pricey and we could only afford the smallest package of five photos. When they arrive, I'll be happy to post them. Of now, all I have is the contact sheet which wouldn't really come out well.

That is funny about your sailing on the same color ship as your cruise card! I didn't think about that, but yes, we are Ruby level also.

I know what you mean about FL being far away. Our son lives in Los Angeles and it isn't an easy deal to visit for either of us. What we are considering now is flying to L.A. and visiting with him for a day or two, then taking a coastal California cruise. The only thing holding us back is the time frame. I work in a school and can only take time off during Christmas break, Spring break or Summer and those cruises sail in early Spring for the most part (our break is the last two weeks in March). We shall see what happens.

Happy New Year to all!

Laura

Thanks, again, for the review. My son lives in Orange Co. California, with a perhaps chance of moving to LA. We've had random thoughts of catching a total Panama Canal cruise that would end in LA, perhaps, or at least California. We'd have him pick us up for a visit, and have to figure out how to get back to Florida. We could either drive a rental car back, or take another cruise back. :D Third option is to fly, which neither of us like to do, so that hinders are opportunities. But, if it's really worth it......

We are both retired so don't have the work restrictions. I'd just have someone take over my volunteer slots.

Good luck. We're still only the GRAY card. Platinum.

Lynne

Thank you for the review! We have enjoyed the Ruby and are quite nervous to be trying the Royal next month due to all the negative press! I truly enjoyed reading a happy review with all the reminders of why we like Princess!

[quote name='tobyt']Thank you for the review! We have enjoyed the Ruby and are quite nervous to be trying the Royal next month due to all the negative press! I truly enjoyed reading a happy review with all the reminders of why we like Princess![/QUOTE]

No negativity from me. Go read my LIVE from the Royal; 30 days. Might make your anxieties go away.

• 2 weeks later...
For those of you who saw that my hubby injured his back taking luggage off the shuttle van - he wasn't a 'kiddin. He got the results of his MRI yesterday and he has 2 bulging disks, 2 herniated disks, and a pinched nerve. That, on top of arthritis (not related to this injury, but still), and he's a hurtin' pup. Be careful peeps.... all I'm saying. Nothing can interfere with total enjoyment of a cruise like a back injury (and had he just let the van driver grab the luggage as he was about to...).

[quote name='LollyMoz']For those of you who saw that my hubby injured his back taking luggage off the shuttle van - he wasn't a 'kiddin. He got the results of his MRI yesterday and he has 2 bulging disks, 2 herniated disks, and a pinched nerve. That, on top of arthritis (not related to this injury, but still), and he's a hurtin' pup. Be careful peeps.... all I'm saying. Nothing can interfere with total enjoyment of a cruise like a back injury (and had he just let the van driver grab the luggage as he was about to...).[/QUOTE]

Ouch! :eek:

Hopefully now that the problems have been identified, he will feel some relief soon! Praying that he will heal quickly.

Tim

Thanks for the update. Back problems aren't fun. I will add my wish that hubby can find some relief from his injury pretty quickly.
And, thanks for the reminder that we are vacation and these other folks are paid to take care of our luggage.

Take care. Lynne

[quote name='LollyMoz']For those of you who saw that my hubby injured his back taking luggage off the shuttle van - he wasn't a 'kiddin. He got the results of his MRI yesterday and he has 2 bulging disks, 2 herniated disks, and a pinched nerve. That, on top of arthritis (not related to this injury, but still), and he's a hurtin' pup. Be careful peeps.... all I'm saying. Nothing can interfere with total enjoyment of a cruise like a back injury (and had he just let the van driver grab the luggage as he was about to...).[/quote]

Ouch for sure. I had similar issues 23 years ago. The doctor removed the two discs that were causing the problem and that relieved the pain from the nerve. But, I have always had back problems on and off since. I know that they have better ways of dealing with these things now a days. Hope your husband can benefit from one of them. Good luck and good wishes for him.