Goodbye MDR Food...A Mini Tribute To The Old Menus

thecruiserofships

It's too bad since we always enjoyed our cruises with Carnival and are now in the position to cruise more often at any time of year.

If there weren't so many corporate decisions that have considerably lowered the quality of a Carnival cruise then we would have continued with them as our first choice. :(

Cheers!

We've moved on to Princess and have enjoyed the food, the atmosphere, and our fellow passengers. We'll still sail Carnival and have a good time, but Princess has been a good fit as an alternative.

We've moved on to Princess and have enjoyed the food, the atmosphere, and our fellow passengers. We'll still sail Carnival and have a good time, but Princess has been a good fit as an alternative.

Thanks for the suggestion. We cruised on Celebrity twice and were really pleased with the quality and experience. We have heard good things about Princess so will have to give them a try too.

Cheers!

Hold on to your hats people...this is just on a TRIAL basis on a few ships....I am sure they will work out some of the kinks and make decisions that will make :eek:"MOST":eek: people happy....

Give it a chance. I know I am personally tired of the old menu and am looking forward to the change:)

Hold on to your hats people...this is just on a TRIAL basis on a few ships....I am sure they will work out some of the kinks and make decisions that will make :eek:"MOST":eek: people happy....

Give it a chance. I know I am personally tired of the old menu and am looking forward to the change:)

Don't count on those kinks being worked out. Change and change for the better are two different concepts.

Yep.

Lets hope this is one of those kinks to be worked out. :cool:

Ditto! I can live with the app and main changes, although My vegetarian DD is disappointed, but the desserts really need to be assessed. We're on Liberty in May and really hoping they put some of the old favorite desserts back.

And get rid of the pies, if we wanted diner food we would go to one. We cruise for something different!

Ditto! I can live with the app and main changes, although My vegetarian DD is disappointed, but the desserts really need to be assessed. We're on Liberty in May and really hoping they put some of the old favorite desserts back.

And get rid of the pies, if we wanted diner food we would go to one. We cruise for something different!

Maybe they can offer the old dessert menus too! :)

Will the bread in the baskets still be served?

The bread is better now-more choices than just sour dough and there are some with whole grains, sunflower seeds, some had olives I think. They were different and better.

I missed some of the old desserts, but there are new ones that are really good.

The bread pudding they have now is good and a tropical flan that was delicious( and I don't normally care for flan). I had desert every night without once ordering pie and only one night of WCMC. So there must be things there. ;)

I liked the new menu options. Still plenty to choose from and the taste was better.

I never liked the creme brûlée and never ordered it. I have never noticed anyone at my table order it either, so only the true kitchen numbers would show if any of the deserts were truly as popular as they.are claimed to be.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The bread is better now-more choices than just sour dough and there are some with whole grains, sunflower seeds, some had olives I think. They were different and better.

The bread pudding they have now is good and a tropical flan that was delicious( and I don't normally care for flan). I had desert every night without once ordering pie and only one night of WCMC. So there must be things there. ;)

I liked the new menu options. Still plenty to choose from and the taste was better.

I never liked the creme brûlée and never ordered it. I have never noticed anyone at my table order it either, so only the true kitchen numbers would show if any of the deserts were truly as popular as they.are claimed to be.

Is there still plain regular bread available?

I would like to see the kitchen numbers. ;)

Thanks for posting these pictures. Was surprised when Bitter N Blanc was removed as I thought that was a popular dessert. As a matter of fact, a lot of my favorite desserts were removed such as the Crème Brulee and Grand Marnier Souffle. Also liked the cheese plate.

Yup.

Some folks still think that the mainstream cruise lines offer 'gourmet' food in the MDR. Really, it's on par (sometimes) with good hotel banquet fare. I'm just as happy to chow down at the buffet feeding troughs. At least you know what you're putting on your plate and not getting disappointed when served in the MDR.

Keep your expectations low and enjoy the cruise.

Some folks still think that the mainstream cruise lines offer 'gourmet' food in the MDR. Really, it's on par (sometimes) with good hotel banquet fare. I'm just as happy to chow down at the buffet feeding troughs. At least you know what you're putting on your plate and not getting disappointed when served in the MDR.

Keep your expectations low and enjoy the cruise.

DH and I were on Elation last spring and spent a good bit of time sitting out in that outside area behind the buffet dining room and the serenity area, which on Elation is right under and behind the buffet eating area.

Anyway, we were passing through the buffet a bit more than we usually have.

And happened to notice when they were putting out dinner and it looked really good.

Then we went to the dining room and had stressed out servers and a really bad table.

So, we checked out the buffet again at dinner and ate there several evenings.

Right after they put out the dinner it was hot and fresh and the waiting time was very short.

It seemed to us that as the dinner service has declined, the buffet offerings have improved...a lot.

Edited by mzloolue

Yes, the drink stations and the choice of soft-serve ice cream AND frozen yogurt on the Elation Lido Buffet was miles ahead of anything on RCI and Princess.

Buffet a great place to escape stifling formal nights and those silly waiter parades in MDR and the singing of O Solo Mio with guests waiving their napkins....;-)

DH and I were on Elation last spring and spent a good bit of time sitting out in that outside area behind the buffet dining room and the serenity area, which on Elation is right under and behind the buffet eating area.

Anyway, we were passing through the buffet a bit more than we usually have.

And happened to notice when they were putting out dinner and it looked really good.

Then we went to the dining room and had stressed out servers and a really bad table.

So, we checked out the buffet again at dinner and ate there several evenings.

Right after they put out the dinner it was hot and fresh and the waiting time was very short.

It seemed to us that as the dinner service has declined, the buffet offerings have improved...a lot.

Do you know if it is true that the buffet has a few of the same items as the mdr?

Buffet a great place to escape stifling formal nights and those silly waiter parades in MDR and the singing of O Solo Mio with guests waiving their napkins....;-)

Glad to see that someone else thinks this is as silly as I do in a dining room. I also don't care to have some waiter twerking next to me while I'm trying to eat my dinner. :eek:

No doubt there will be a few poor souls that will respond that they enjoy this elegant form of entertainment. Bless their poor misguided little hearts. :rolleyes: They're probably the same folks that think the "Dukes of Hazzard" is a Shakespean play. :D

Cheers!