Buying medical/flight insurance annual policy instead of for each trip ?

Orangefan

Certainly having appropriate coverage for medical evacuation back to the US may be prudent, but it is wrong to denigrate the absolutely first class medical support available in South Africa. One of us was hospitalized in South Africa three times and the treatment was as good or better than that in the United States

I have met several doctors working on princess that were from South Africa.

Guest maddycat
Madeline, Is you Travel Safe comprehensive policy for the year or each trip ?

Sali

The Travel Safe policy is for each trip. I haven't been able to find a yearly policy that is both comprehensive and affordable. Travel Safe is primary coverage, which I want. I buy it soon after booking our cruise so that it covers pre-existing medical conditions. I have been using the Travel Insurance Store for several years to purchase our travel insurance. I'm very pleased with their knowledgeable, helpful service. I usually call and discuss my needs with one of their agents. They suggest the best policy for me.

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/index.shtml

Most travel insurance companies will get you to the nearest medical facility. Getting you on a medical flight to your home hospital is at their discretion.

This is why I also buy MedJet Assist (which is good for an entire year).

--------

Annual travel insurance doesn't seem to be as common in the US as it is for Canadians. My friends who are travel agents do have a policy that covers them all year that is meant for agents.

The MedJet seems to just cover medical and I thought the Princess policy, per trip, was more comprehensive, flight delays etc. No?

We have had MedJetAssist Policies for years and thankfully have never needed to use it but we would not be witout that coverage.

Please be sure to understand MedJet is medical transport but does not pay any medical bills. If your usual medical insurance does not pay outside U.S., you should consider purchasing travel insurance that would cover for medical/accident events occuring outside your home country.

We never insure the price of our trips as presumably we can afford that or we would not have booked it.

Medical bills and emergency evacuation are the bills that can be huge.

When we add up all the premiums we didn't pay to insure our cruises through the years, we are tens of thousands of dollars ahead in unpaid premiums. We have been very fortunate to never have to cancel in penalty period. It is the cancellation coverage that makes the premiums higher than just medical coverage.