Try book fight and cruise together with Air canada vacation

sonnenstrahl

I will try to book the cruise and flight together with AC Vacation to Fort Lauderdale. Can we book the flight at the day the cruise starts and in case of problems is Air Canada responsible to get us to the next port.

Why not book through Celebrity in Cdn $ & book Air Canada through Choice Air.

I'm not sure Air Canada will take responsibility to get you there if there are problems with weather etc. I think you have to check with Air Canada Vacations about this.

Edited by If only

Ac Vacation is selling some cruises in their brochure as a package including the flight, the cruise and transfers. In that case, yes, they are responsible for the whole package.

It happened to my sister on last December. The flight from Montreal was cancelled due to snow and the next flight was too late to catch the ship. She was offered a flight to the first port of call but she would have missed two days on a seven days cruise; she declined and was offered a full amount credit on AC Vacation for the next 12 months. She accepted that offer and is planning a similar cruise next December.

However, I'm not sure if it would apply if you purchase a cruise and a flight that are not part of a package even if you buy them at the same time from AC Vacation. Ask to the TA and take insurance.

Edited by vivi9909

I always fly in same day, fly out same day to/from Toronto. I buy insurance that covers me for anything - accident on the hi way preventing me from getting to the airport, flight cancelled, etc. Then I'd be flown to the next port or refunded. Never happened but its nice to have that protection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always fly in same day, fly out same day to/from Toronto. I buy insurance that covers me for anything - accident on the hi way preventing me from getting to the airport, flight cancelled, etc. Then I'd be flown to the next port or refunded. Never happened but its nice to have that protection.

Most insurance doesn't actually take care of flying you to the next port. You generally have to make those arrangements yourself, and pay the change fee and/or difference in fare (which could be VERY significant for a last minute, walk-up ticket) and THEN be reimbursed later. Just clarifying that for others who might be less experienced travelers and think, "oh wow- travel insurance will arrange and pay for my new flight."

I ran into this problem about 6 years ago I usually always fly in a day early but didn't this time. I had an 8am non stop flight from Toronto that should have given plenty of time. Flight was delayed over and over due to equipment problems. The guy working for Air Canada in Toronto informed us all that they had no responsibility. I was taking a short cruise to use up vacation before a longer cruise. It was obvious by the time we left we were going to miss the ship. As I had a friend living in the FLL area i could stay with and Air Canada would also not delay my flight until I was to leave for the second cruise I went anyway. The AC guy basically told us we were to blame and were idiots to fly same day. When we landed in Miami a couple of us bought tickets to Nassau first port from American but decided to go see AC to see if they would at least get us a hotel. The women in Miami was amazing she had us void our American tickets and then she rebooked everything from flight to hotel and shuttle. It all worked out great but when I wrote to Air Canada when I returned they informed me the first man was correct and we just lucked out with

the women in Miami. Since then I try to book anything but AC even if I have to connect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I booked myself on Air Canada.

Toronto- Fort Lauderdale, Dec 26, 2 days before the cruise. Our flight leaving Toronto was 3 hours late. The plane was in the hanger not coming from another city. If it was the day of the cruise, we would have made the ship but because of the delay, we would have missed the ship.

Miami- Toronto, Jan 4, day of disembarkment. Our flight was 2 hours late.

We never fly out the day of the cruise, you never know what can happen. Go a day in advance and book a hotel direct with the hotel or through Priceline or Hotwire.

We always take travel insurance. Air Canada has insurance through RBC. You can purchase travel insurance with RBC, President's Choice, Travel Guard. I believe the cruiseline insurance covers air only if you book the air through them.

Assorted comments:

- OP, definitely give the sticky at the top of this board a good read. Be sure you have a good understanding of the product you're buying through Cruise Air and the potential pitfalls.

- Trip insurance almost always requires you to press on and try to get things back on track. You simply can't turn around and go home. Be sure you have a full passport...if you miss the ship in Florida (for example) the airline will not board you on a catch-up flight without a PP, unless the next port is American such as the USVI or SJU. I realize OP is Canadian and probably requires a PP anyway...but many Americans don't realize this potential issue.

- As others commented, "recovering" the trip is at your expense...then you file a TI claim later. Burden of proof is on you...for example if a flight is cancelled you must prove it was cancelled, ideally with a printout from the airline's Customer Service desk but at least a photo of the monitor. Document *everything* !

- Many TI companies have travel assist lines but you're still out of pocket for alternate arrangements they make. When there's widespread flight cancellations like there have been this week, you may have difficulty getting through to an agent.

Just things to consider.

Edited by kenish

Flight was delayed over and over due to equipment problems. The guy working for Air Canada in Toronto informed us all that they had no responsibility...... The AC guy basically told us we were to blame and were idiots to fly same day.....The women in Miami was amazing she had us void our American tickets and then she rebooked everything from flight to hotel and shuttle. It all worked out great but when I wrote to Air Canada when I returned they informed me the first man was correct and we just lucked out with

the women in Miami.

Did you book directly with AC, or had you booked air in conjunction with the cruise and AC just happened to be who the cruise line put you on? If you booked the air independently then essentially what they told you is correct, and would be the same with any airline: They are not responsible for getting you to the cruise. Or the family reunion, business meeting, wedding, Knicks game, or Rolling Stones concert. The airline is only responsible for getting you to the destination you bought a ticket for, in your case the city of Miami. What you have planned upon arrival (a cruise) and how much leeway time you've built into your schedule (just a few hours?) to get from airport to event doesn't matter.

If you bought your air through the cruise line, then they generally assume responsibility for getting you to wherever you can meet the ship, but if you're on a 4 night cruise that has a sea day, then a day on a private island, then a day in Nassau, then it's day 3 in Nassau before you're gonna see the ship. And that's assuming they can get you an available seat, etc. etc. i.e. still no guarantee of making the cruise.