Our Christmas and New year's cruise on the Oosterdam

Hi, I've been loving this thread, it's humour and the photos. We have booked a cruise in 2015 going from Sydney to Vancouver and I am already counting it down. The ship looks beautiful from the outside!

One thing I was disappointed to learn is that HAL Australia will not give on military onboard credit, but HAL will in the US. That's a bit rough I think.

Hi, I've been loving this thread, it's humour and the photos. We have booked a cruise in 2015 going from Sydney to Vancouver and I am already counting it down. The ship looks beautiful from the outside!

One thing I was disappointed to learn is that HAL Australia will not give on military onboard credit, but HAL will in the US. That's a bit rough I think.

It is probably too late but maybe an overseas TA may acknowledge the military OBC.:D

Royal Caribbean doesn't either and my hubby has grizzled far and wide to anyone he deals with including the on board loyalty people. We find it a bit offensive actually. Our military fights along side theirs, usually for something they have asked us to support them in!

I've just called, apparently they don't provide any military OBC now, even in the US. Bummer. I imagine that decision over there won't be popular.

No, it won't be popular but at least it is fairer, they shouldn't make offers for one military group and not another.

Ok I have no idea where I am up to.

I know we stopped at some ports but I think I will jump ahead to New year's Eve.

That was a blast!

We has a great night.

It started with a great dinner where they gave us hats to wear, whistles to blow and noise maker thingymajigs to spin.

DSC00436_zps39009f7b.jpg

DSC00438_zpsee746a42.jpg

DSC00443_zps812e6c2a.jpg

After dinner DH and I were in the Marriage Game.

I have no photos of this as I think my children were cringing under their chairs so they couldn't see to take any photos. :D

Anyway it was a hoot!

Though I think the kids learnt a bit too much about their parents "private lives" :o

From that day on until the end of the cruise we were constantly stopped by people smiling at us or slyly winking at my husband. Oh dear! :o

So from the Marriage Game we went up to the deck party.

Now that was FUN!

DSC00551_zps21f65595.jpg

DSC00548_zpsa2073c99.jpg

At midnight the Captain let rip with the ship's horn which in a "slight" inebriated state was quite exciting. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for your review of Oosterdam. She is on my list of ships & lines to try, but like you said, previous reviews are few & far between and very mixed. Seems like HAL is a good line and Oosterdam a lovely ship.

Steve.

Sheeeeeesh!

I have just returned from a weekend in Melbourne so will get back to this when I can.

Life has a habit of butting in :p

We understand you will continue when time allows.

Enjoying your reports and photos of the Oosterdam.

Before i leave again for a weekend getaway (I have not been home on a weekend since November I think :rolleyes: ) Anyway i will post some more photos. These are artworks around the ship that my 16 yo DD found amusing. A teenager's mind often finds things amusing :p

DSC00621_zps3b373a10.jpg

DSC00620_zps91c78961.jpg

DSC00619_zps2f1833db.jpg

DSC00615_zpsad603ca0.jpg

And now for my FAVOURITE part of this cruise.

Every sea day they hosted a "Dancing with the Stars at Sea" lesson.

DSC00645_zpsffbfcef1.jpg

There was a routine to learn and then four passengers were chosen to compete.

This was soooooooooooooo much fun.

Anyway I won the Cha Cha!!! Whooooohooooooooo! which meant that on the evening of the last sea day I ,and 5 other passengers (my 20yo DS being one of them), had to compete to see who would become this cruise's Dancing with the Stars champion.

I have never had so much fun. We had half an hour to practise with one of the professional dancers on board and then we took to the theatre stage for the competition.

So here is my son dancing

DSC00642_zps0bbf3135.jpg

and here is me!

1527135_10200739841773140_2097039813_n_zps7822bf18.jpg

When we were finished we had to pose for photos with the entertainment team

DSC00647_zps787bc4fb.jpg

I wish I could say I won but alas it wasn't to be :(

But I got a wonderful certificate and the knowledge that I danced on stage with a professional on a cruise ship! :D

My husband was very proud

DSC00650_zps2140f082.jpg

I will be back with a run down of what we all thought of the cruise when I get back.

Toodle loo!

These are artworks around the ship that my 16 yo DD found amusing. A teenager's mind often finds things amusing :p

Your teenager has a good eye for beauty !! - not something commonly associated with teenagers. Let us hope that he/she keeps it and continues to "stop to smell the roses" :)

Barry