Queens Grill experience on a short voyage

Austcruiser84

So, I've contacted my travel agent to book me on the June 22-24 Hamburg to Southampton QM2 crossing in Queens Grill. I'm sure I'll regret this, as anytime I upgrade I find it impossible to go back!

I've been reading the Cunard website and it mentions a number of services in Queens Grill. Being a 2 night voyage, will there be things that differ to a longer voyage? Any advice / experience recounts would be helpful.

A few specific things I noticed on the website included:

- canapés before dinner

- bottle of wine on embarkation (is this the same stuff as in Britannia?)

- packing and unpacking

Are these things all available and has anyone used the packing / unpacking service? (not that I'm taking much with me for 2 nights, but I'm still interested).

Generally, I'm also wondering whether the sea day will have any lectures from Insights and whether things like afternoon tea are served? On that last point, do Grills passengers take afternoon tea in the Grills lounge and does it differ to the regular one in the Queens Room?

As I said, any useful tips / advice / ways to make the most of the 2 nights would be helpful.

If afternoon tea is served then it will be available in the Queens Grill lounge for grill guests. And yes, it is different to the afternoon tea served in the Queens Room as there is a number of extra offerings that are not served in the Queens Room.

If afternoon tea is served then it will be available in the Queens Grill lounge for grill guests. And yes, it is different to the afternoon tea served in the Queens Room as there is a number of extra offerings that are not served in the Queens Room.

What additional offerings might those be?

What additional offerings might those be?

Extra sweet and savoury items. I don't know what they're called.

Forgot to add that one of the pluses is that you don't have to line up outside as you do for the Queens Room. You can sit there prior to afternoon tea commencing and they'll just setup around you. Or just wander in whenever you like.

Edited by Whitemarsh

Extra sweet and savoury items. I don't know what they're called.

Forgot to add that one of the pluses is that you don't have to line up outside as you do for the Queens Room. You can sit there prior to afternoon tea commencing and they'll just setup around you. Or just wander in whenever you like.

I like the sound of that. So there is no wait? It was quite crowded in the Queens Room when I was on board last time - I only did afternoon tea several times as a result.

I like the sound of that. So there is no wait? It was quite crowded in the Queens Room when I was on board last time - I only did afternoon tea several times as a result.

During the start of a voyage it's usually quiet as (I imagine) new Grill guests don't know that afternoon tea is served in the QGL. Then, as the voyage progresses, it gets busier. The last couple of days are the busiest and those days are the only times I have seen it full and/or people not able to get seats.

So that's the 411 for longer voyages, I don't know what happens on short voyages.

FYI - the best seats are the sofas on the right hand side as you enter the lounge. The last lounge and the second last lounge are the best.

I've not done the Southampton/Hamburg 2 day trip but on a Southampton 2 night roundtrip we certainly got canapes. We asked for extra for the Southampton sailaway as we'd invited CC members round to share our balcony.

The wine is champagne in QG.

Enjoy, it's a trip I've fancied doing myself so I'll be interested to read your report.

I've not done the Southampton/Hamburg 2 day trip but on a Southampton 2 night roundtrip we certainly got canapes. We asked for extra for the Southampton sailaway as we'd invited CC members round to share our balcony.

The wine is champagne in QG.

Enjoy, it's a trip I've fancied doing myself so I'll be interested to read your report.

By champagne do you mean actual champagne or Pol Acker?

A trip report - hmm, I guess I'll have to write one since you've already built up an expectation!

The champagne they seem to be offering at the moment is Delamotte.

It's weird though my husband seems to like the Pol Acker. I always bring my own Bollinger and Veuve to drink on board and leave him to the Pol.

Kate - we were the lucky cruise critic members that you invited onto your huge balcony and we very much appreciated it. I hope you are keeping well.

Lynne

Kate - we were the lucky cruise critic members that you invited onto your huge balcony and we very much appreciated it. I hope you are keeping well.

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

Lovely to hear from you, we are very well thank you although I'm starting to get a bit twitchy as we've no cruises booked ! We had a lovely 12 nights on QE last October and tried Azamara earlier in the year.

Hope to catch up with sometime,

Kate

Kate

I know how you feel as I've just booked our QE trip today for April which pretty much uses up my annual leave as it's for 20 nts, so am unable to squeeze in anymore cruises this year.

I have flying trips to Oman and Vegas booked later in the year but until my new annual leave entitlement starts again at end Oct 2014, I can't book anything else.

Lynne

The champagne they seem to be offering at the moment is Delamotte.

It's weird though my husband seems to like the Pol Acker. I always bring my own Bollinger and Veuve to drink on board and leave him to the Pol.

Lynne

I cannot say if my husband likes the Pol Acker, he said it's not so bad and drank it. The first time, I poured my glass into the toilet. The second time, I drank one glass and thought it was bad but it's still drinkable. This time I drank two glasses and thought it was still bad but I drank it anyhow. :D:D