Triumph Sewerage Smell in hallways?

Dixie24

I know this is a hotly debated topic on if various ships have off-putting smells or not. I cruised on the Triumph a few years ago and any sewerage smell was contained to a few random times in my cabin bathroom (seemed like it came in through the drain in the floor) and I never smelled anything in the hallway or public areas.

However, I have been reading recent Triumph reviews as I am considering booking a cruise on her and there are many instances of people complaining about the hallways on Deck 1 and Deck 2 smelling like poo and even cat pee. I was planning on booking an OV but if the smells in the hallway are real, I may just do an interior on a higher floor. So do tell, are there smells and if so are they confined to the lower decks?

Lastly, there was a thread here that showed a side by side picture comparison of areas of the Triumph pre and post 2.0 additions. I have searched and searched for it and I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone link me to it?

Edited by Dixie24

I know on the Victory we smelled it by the third day. We were on the 2nd deck in the aft section. It was not in our cabin but in the hallway going towards the elevators to get to the back of the buffet.

I was glad we were only on a 4 day cruise. I did not have that experience with our aft 2nd deck room on the Paradise.

The sewer smell happens on every ship and nearly on every cruise on different decks. The system has many miles of pipe unseen by passengers. When a stoppage occurs in one place, the sewage backs up in that area. Typically caused by someone trying to flush prohibited items, it takes the maintenance crew some time to locate and clear the problem. As soon as you detect a possible problem, call guest services and report the exact location so they can include it on the maintenance list. It's the only way to get the smell cleared sooner than later.

Here's hoping you have a smell-free cruise. Bon Voyage!

The sewer smell happens on every ship and nearly on every cruise on different decks. The system has many miles of pipe unseen by passengers. When a stoppage occurs in one place, the sewage backs up in that area. Typically caused by someone trying to flush prohibited items, it takes the maintenance crew some time to locate and clear the problem. As soon as you detect a possible problem, call guest services and report the exact location so they can include it on the maintenance list. It's the only way to get the smell cleared sooner than later.

Here's hoping you have a smell-free cruise. Bon Voyage!

Good point. Have had a whiff of sewer smell on every cruise we've been on.

I've sailed on the Triumph "before" and "after" and didn't notice a smell either time. Though, to be fair, I have been blessed with a fairly poor sense of smell (probably numbed after years of being an ER nurse :rolleyes:) However, I can usually detect feces or some other nasty things expelled from the human body. :o

DH didn't notice anything either.

Just returned from Triumph, and yes there was a nasty smell on Deck 2 in the midship area. I've smelled these odors on other ships at times, but it was noticeable this time. Our bathroom had a funky smell as well. Something really needs to be done to get rid the smell on this deck.

I must say though that we had the best cabin steward, Abe, that we've had in a long time.

I notice that smell occasionally on almost all ships. It has more to do with the complex sewage system than any lack of cleanliness. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's generally contained to small areas.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

We were on the Triumph in October and had a front room on deck 6 and we frequently walked from front to back on deck 6 (to go to back dining room) and about midway down the hall, it always smelled like sewer. I don't know if it smelled in the rooms, but it definitely was there the whole cruise in the hall.

Did not get the sewage smell on either of my Carnival cruise, but was told on my last NCL cruise that some yahoo used the toilet as garbage disposal and tried to flush leftovers, kleenex, diapers and other miscellaneous junk down the drain. Needless to say it clogged the drain and caused a backup, stinking up a small section of the ship.

Hopefully those idiots are charged for the repair, then confined for the rest of the trip to their soiled cabin.

I've smelled it on various ships over the years sometimes in public area's and sometimes in my cabin.

I have started a new ritual when I first get to my cabin. I run the shower for a few minutes and the sink and then I pour a large glass of water down the floor drain. That way all the P traps are full thus preventing any gas from coming back up into the cabin.

If there are particularly rough sea conditions that call also cause the P traps to empty so I repeat the ritual periodically during the cruise.

I also travel with an air deodorizer called Ozium. It eliminates odors rather than just mask them, it just takes a small squirt. I've heard that it's the type of deodorizer that they use on airplanes.

I use the one that comes in the blue/white bottle and it doesn't have any real scent, but I think they make others that smell of orange or citrus. You can find them in the car wax section of the grocery or Walmart.

I agree with the other poster, the smell has been sporadic and most likely due to someone flushing something down that should not have been flushed thus creating a blockage. It will occur on any deck and has at times. I have sailed on the Triumph twice recently and did not notice any problems. It is a good ship to sail, if it was a seven day cruise would take it more often, the crew is great.

We were on the Triumph in October and had a front room on deck 6 and we frequently walked from front to back on deck 6 (to go to back dining room) and about midway down the hall, it always smelled like sewer. I don't know if it smelled in the rooms, but it definitely was there the whole cruise in the hall.

Triumph December: Deck 6 starboard side mid to aft. Absolutely. We learned to dodge by using the center hallway.

Did not get the sewage smell on either of my Carnival cruise, but was told on my last NCL cruise that some yahoo used the toilet as garbage disposal and tried to flush leftovers, kleenex, diapers and other miscellaneous junk down the drain. Needless to say it clogged the drain and caused a backup, stinking up a small section of the ship.

Hopefully those idiots are charged for the repair, then confined for the rest of the trip to their soiled cabin.

There has been some amazing things pulled from clogged lines. Usually it's passenger induced, not a natural plumbing problem.

my friend just returned from the Triumph after Christmas. He did mention a slight sewer smell but said it seemed to be only on the lower decks on one side of the hall. It was a very small area but he had to pass it everyday to go to the cabin his older kids were in. He thought it was due to some ventilation issue.

Here is a photo comparison of before and after 2.0:

http://www.embarkandaway.com/before--after-comparison.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks for posting, have never seen it this way before. Can't wait to board the Triumph in March.

I can vouch for the smell being on other ships as well. We cruised the inaugural Disney Dream and had the same thing occur. Wasn't overly intrusive, more of just a whiff but it was there. Have noticed the smell on every cruise we've ever been on.