I know I'm gonna get flamed, but Windjammer is AWFUL

Wow. You really should stay home. Disgusting post.

I hope I never meet you on a cruise.....when you refer to your fellow cruisers as 'pigs' when you say ' .......that's fine to me to help keep the total cruise cost low by feeding the pigs their feed.'

How disgusting. The cabins you WON'T be in can easily be filled by someone much more civilized.

I was beginning to think that I was the only one that found that post disgusting. Thanks for affirming that it was not just my misinterpretation.

I was beginning to think that I was the only one that found that post disgusting. Thanks for affirming that it was not just my misinterpretation.

You are welcome. I am sure there are others who found that post disgusting. I had to write my post 3 or 4 times, before it was printable.

i'm going on allure of the seas in two weeks and to be honest, I have 0 intention of eating in the windjammer. There are so many options to eat on the ship, why would i settle for anything less than the best? I get that many american people think a tomato is a tomato and are cost oriented rather than quality and thats fine to me to help keep the total cruise cost low by feeding the pigs their feed. I'm also doing my best to limit time as much as I can in the main dining room as this will be the next target as signs are already indicating on here (escargot, steak quality, lobster nights). I do agree with previous posts, once the level of quality hits a certain point, I will avoid that cruise line just as I will avoid vacationing at certain brands of resorts who try the same cost saving schemes and get the american masses in at low cost. RCI isnt too far away from a no fly list.

While I appreciate the right to an opinion....

Wow, aren't YOU the positive one?!? :confused: :rolleyes:

I hope I never meet you on a cruise.....when you refer to your fellow cruisers as 'pigs' when you say ' .......that's fine to me to help keep the total cruise cost low by feeding the pigs their feed.'

How disgusting. The cabins you WON'T be in can easily be filled by someone much more civilized.

Apparently this person does not know any better than to attempt to insult Americans. We will be enjoying our cruises and the Windjammer if we choose.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

you eat all your meals in the windjammer????? you never eat in the MDR ??? IMHO boy you are missing a lot.....

Yep, nothing wrong with eating all our meals in the WJ and we definitely are NOT missing out on anything. We did the MDR on our first two cruises and it's just not for us. We don't like to get dressed up, don't like having to eat at a fixed time, and can always find plenty of good food to eat in the WJ. Some people like the MDR atmosphere; we prefer the laid back WJ. To each his own!

I'm so excited... next cruise, we are not bringing any formal wear at all and will take all our dinners in the Windjammer. It has slowly evolved into a tradition for us, I think. We used to just take dessert and coffee in the WJ on the first night after sailaway, but which each progressive cruise, we slowly gravitated toward WJ on a larger scale. We are booked for MTD but I'd be surprised if we even make it there once for dinner next cruise.

Love me some Windjammer! :D

I like it for the non traditional items; like the miso soups for breakfast, or the broiled tomatoes. Lunch as a vegetarian is hit or miss for me. As with all cafeterias, timing is everything. Get there when items are being replenished, and its different than eating cold food.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Windjammer: Okay - real question:

Who makes/eats bisc. and gravy with peas in the "sausage" gravy?

ICK! I googled it and did not see it. Is it a Puerto Rico dish?

I ate lots of mashed potatoes on the Jewel right before xmas.

That ship is too small for variation...Ranch wasn't on salad bar till day 4.

If we go on another RCL - will be a bigger ship!--- I gained one pound. Yes that is good, but its because the windjammer was sub par to me... and we barely choked down 50% of the two MDR dinners.

Even the Chops, great food, BUT the potatoes were the ones from Windjammer with cheese on them.....

NCL-- another small ship - I lost 5 lbs in 4 days and the teenagers didn't eat!

I get fat and happy (not literally) on HAL and Carnival food thus far

Unfortunately - the best food we had all week long on that RCL cruise was in St. Martin!

Edited by kcdancerkc

Yep, nothing wrong with eating all our meals in the WJ and we definitely are NOT missing out on anything. We did the MDR on our first two cruises and it's just not for us. We don't like to get dressed up, don't like having to eat at a fixed time, and can always find plenty of good food to eat in the WJ. Some people like the MDR atmosphere; we prefer the laid back WJ. To each his own!

I'm with you. Dressing up to eat a meal is not for me either. Rather sir at WJ and grab a beer in my shorts and flip flops and relax.

I'm so excited... next cruise, we are not bringing any formal wear at all and will take all our dinners in the Windjammer. It has slowly evolved into a tradition for us, I think.

Love me some Windjammer! :D

You've jumped over to the dark side!!!;):D

Looking forward to my up and coming WJ dining!!!:)

You've jumped over to the dark side!!!;):D

Looking forward to my up and coming WJ dining!!!:)

I am jumping over to the dark side as well. Last cruise was in September on the Jewel of the Seas. This was the first time I had any dinners in the Windjammer of my 7 previous cruises on Royal Caribbean. I was surprised how good the food and selection was. The two items that stood out to me being excellent were the Indian chicken curry and the chicken cordon bleu. We are going on the Jewel of the Seas again the last week of February. I am planning on eating all dinners at the Windjammer except for one night each in Chops and Portofino. I am not packing any formal wear. I plan on packing just a pair of pants and two shirts for those two nights in the specialty restuarants.

I'm siding with the OP. Quality is hit or miss from what we've seen. We don't eat in buffet/cafeteria-style restaurants at home so why would we on a cruise? Sure, we pop into the WJ for breakfast if we're in a hurry to get off ship on a port day but that's about it. I know the WJ as a huge following, including those who eat there every meal of every cruise so it DOES appeal to some, just not to DH and me.

I am jumping over to the dark side as well. Last cruise was in September on the Jewel of the Seas. This was the first time I had any dinners in the Windjammer of my 7 previous cruises on Royal Caribbean. I was surprised how good the food and selection was. The two items that stood out to me being excellent were the Indian chicken curry and the chicken cordon bleu. We are going on the Jewel of the Seas again the last week of February. I am planning on eating all dinners at the Windjammer except for one night each in Chops and Portofino. I am not packing any formal wear. I plan on packing just a pair of pants and two shirts for those two nights in the specialty restuarants.

welcome to the club!!!;)

I'm siding with the OP. Quality is hit or miss from what we've seen. We don't eat in buffet/cafeteria-style restaurants at home so why would we on a cruise? Sure, we pop into the WJ for breakfast if we're in a hurry to get off ship on a port day but that's about it. I know the WJ as a huge following, including those who eat there every meal of every cruise so it DOES appeal to some, just not to DH and me.

What we like about the WJ, is we can just 'stop in' and see what's available and choose what we want.....similar to stopping at the refrigerator at home, and deciding what we would like for lunch or snack. We have ALWAYS found good things to eat, but as I have said in a previous post, there are things I would never eat from the WJ (hamburgers that are being kept warm under warming lights, eg). But then again, I would never eat a Johnny Rockets hamburger, because they only make them well done, and that isn't the way, I eat them.

We do dinner in the MDR; we enjoy relaxing at dinner after a day of activities (either in a port or on the ship), and look forward to changing out of the shorts/bathing suit wear of the day into other clothes. We don't do 'big formal dress up' usually -- it just isn't our style and it is OUR vacation. Yet we do enjoy being served!

Windjammer: Okay - real question:

Who makes/eats bisc. and gravy with peas in the "sausage" gravy?

ICK! I googled it and did not see it. Is it a Puerto Rico dish?

I ate lots of mashed potatoes on the Jewel right before xmas.

That ship is too small for variation...Ranch wasn't on salad bar till day 4.

If we go on another RCL - will be a bigger ship!--- I gained one pound. Yes that is good, but its because the windjammer was sub par to me... and we barely choked down 50% of the two MDR dinners.

Even the Chops, great food, BUT the potatoes were the ones from Windjammer with cheese on them.....

NCL-- another small ship - I lost 5 lbs in 4 days and the teenagers didn't eat!

I get fat and happy (not literally) on HAL and Carnival food thus far

Unfortunately - the best food we had all week long on that RCL cruise was in St. Martin!

Really NCL and Carnival....... The worst food IMO

.........That ship is too small for variation...Ranch wasn't on salad bar till day 4.

If we go on another RCL - will be a bigger ship!--- .......

This statement makes little sense....the size of the ship (in this case you are referring to Jewel) has no bearing on what the kitchen has the capacity to cater. Every galley has the ability to effectively provide food services for the number of cruisers on board.