Anyone else impressed with NCL responding on Cruise Critic?

#1TravelMom

garnett115, I'm with you as far as thinking NCL is doing the right thing.

However, I think this part of Demonyte's statement is true: "high profile threads to maximize the viral effect." to the extent that, although it didn't get a lot of postings it did get a lot of attention. You read it and so did many others and that thread is one of those that generated this thread. The other thread that has the potential for some bad publicity is the one about the law suite, which in my opinion should be removed in it's totality.

So, does NCL "cherry pick"? Yes, I think they do, as any smart business marketing company would, but it makes sense to choose those which they can assist with and will get them some positive publicity. It doesn't make sense, legally speaking, for them to respond to things like threats of law suits and I give credit to their legal department for knowing that.

Hopefully people will start realizing that you get more bees with honey and that CC is not a place to go to bash NCL. Cheerleading, you bet!

The only time I will not cruise with NCL is when they do not service the places I wish to visit, such as South America, Australia and eastern Asia. Hopefully some of this will change soon. My next opening is fall 2015, hopefully at least one of the three mentioned above will be available by then.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on NCL. I'm waiting to see how they handle embarkation in Tampa for the Dawn on "open loop" cruises. From some of the posts I've read, you'd think NCL was signing some poster's paychecks.

We are mid 40's and have been on 40+ cruises. Our opinions definitely cannot be bought. Good or bad - I tell it like it is. I think we overlook many of the issues that some make a big deal about. When we have a significantly positive or negative experience - I post about it. I have to say - right this moment - we favor NCL over any other line. We thought we may be lured away when we tried the Allure back to back with the Epic last month. Although the Allure is an amazing ship to see - we just didn't find much to do. The Epic has entertainment that just can't be beat.

Way to go NCL, I found you here in post 25 and also in another thread this morning that I'm in.

NCL and I go back to 2002. In 2004 we were on the first NCLA sailing July 4, 2004 in Hawaii on the Pride of Aloha, most everyone knows how that cruise went.

That cruise would have been a good reason to leave NCL but shortly after getting home and before I had time to complain we got a we want to make this right letter from NCL with a do over, check and future cruise credit. I'm still sailing NCL because they stepped up and made it right.

Love NCL.

SD did you get your question answered? I am also In South Dakota and when I call NCL I am pleased. Can I help you?

Have you called 877-436-9722

Did you book your cabin or did you go through a Travel Agent?

Another one from SD! I booked through a travel agent. There's a upgrade wave event and my cruise is eligible and my oceanview is eligible but my travel agent said I can't get an upgrade because I paid less than the NCL stated price. I don't even know if I want to bug NCL about this to see if that's true or not.

But what about the POA and still displaying and selling suites that don't exist after the remodel? I'd rather have NCL hire someone to improve the website and keep it up-to-date, than chat on any social media all day.

That said, I thought NCL's website was bad until I looked at Carnival's and RCI's. Now I'm of the opinion it is medium-high for cruiseline websites!

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on NCL. I'm waiting to see how they handle embarkation in Tampa for the Dawn on "open loop" cruises. From some of the posts I've read, you'd think NCL was signing some poster's paychecks.

Would you care to elaborate on this? What do you mean "handle open loop cruise"?

Is it a repo you are talking about?

Edited by halos

We are mid 40's and have been on 40+ cruises. Our opinions definitely cannot be bought. Good or bad - I tell it like it is. I think we overlook many of the issues that some make a big deal about. When we have a significantly positive or negative experience - I post about it. I have to say - right this moment - we favor NCL over any other line. We thought we may be lured away when we tried the Allure back to back with the Epic last month. Although the Allure is an amazing ship to see - we just didn't find much to do. The Epic has entertainment that just can't be beat.

Having sailed both the Allure and the Epic, we totally agree. To be honest, years ago we were a bit snobby towards NCL. But after cruising many other lines we are now more than ever convinced that NCL is the cruise line for us. The clincher for us was last Feb, we were on the Norwegian Pearl and upon coming back from a shore excursion, we were greeted by two rows of crew members welcoming us back, some even wearing chef hats, cabin stewards,playing music, dancing and all. We looked over to the RCC ship that was docked right next to us and there was....nothing, absolutely nothing. We loved the Epic so much the first time that we are cruising her again this February.

But, what makes NCL stand apart from the rest is that they have the best crew at sea and they keep things fresh, always reinventing themselves and listening to even their most ardent critics. And no, I have absolutely no connections with NCL, just love to cruise and like to give credit where credit is due.

Would you care to elaborate on this? What do you mean "handle open loop cruise"?

Is it a repo you are talking about?

Dawn is taking (mostly) British passengers onboard from Cozumel and that caused drastic delays with disembarkation in Tampa in late Nov and early Dec - today is the first day after the break when Dawn arrives to Tampa with passengers embarked from Cozumel so we should hear if the situation has been fixed with CBP.

See here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1956353

With thousands of cruisers posting daily - good and bad, I have to commend NCL for their willingness to be involved. I have been on 40+ cruises and have to say NCL is our favorite. Tripadvisor also has an option for businesses to reply to posts. I think it is a valuable feature as we can read NCL responses to issues that may be important to us. Kuddos to NCL for giving someone this mission!!!

I don't know if other lines have someone reading CC, but I know NCL has for years. Yes, it is a smart move on their part and yes, it certainly means something to me: just to see how they seem to be paying attention.

Having sailed both the Allure and the Epic, we totally agree. To be honest, years ago we were a bit snobby towards NCL. But after cruising many other lines we are now more than ever convinced that NCL is the cruise line for us. The clincher for us was last Feb, we were on the Norwegian Pearl and upon coming back from a shore excursion, we were greeted by two rows of crew members welcoming us back, some even wearing chef hats, cabin stewards,playing music, dancing and all. We looked over to the RCC ship that was docked right next to us and there was....nothing, absolutely nothing. We loved the Epic so much the first time that we are cruising her again this February.

But, what makes NCL stand apart from the rest is that they have the best crew at sea and they keep things fresh, always reinventing themselves and listening to even their most ardent critics. And no, I have absolutely no connections with NCL, just love to cruise and like to give credit where credit is due.

I totally, they make you feel like your coming home again! I love that touch...

I am very pleased to see NCL Social Media Team active but I still do have my doubts:

1. Seeing that NCL is active here, people are much more prone to complain here about things that do not warrant any compensation in the first place - we have seen this already with few threads, one written especially to threat NCL with bad publicity after a set deadline.

2. From what I've seen, they pretty much only respond to threads that have generated a lot of traffic - so to speak, cherry picking high profile threads to maximize the viral effect.

I know that I'm being a bit cynical about this, but unfortunately it shows here that people are getting increasingly entitled thoughts that companies can be blamed for their own mistakes too (a good example is one mentioned in several threads during the last few days - getting a "no" for an answer from a customer service doesn't mean that the service is bad or unfair) and NCL's active presence is not helping that specific situation at all.

Until NCL Social Media Team takes action to all cases equally* and NCL's customer service is also up to speed with proper procedures and training, I have to say that while their presence here is nice, it's merely just a (marketing) gimmick to polish the surface and generate goodwill. It's a very good direction but needs so much more work from NCL's part.

* Since they began posting here, I for one have emailed them with my problem with spam from NCL and unsuccessful attempts to get the PCC to stop it and never received any reply from anyone. The matter is now bygone but didn't leave good impression.

I agree, I hope NCL is very careful about this particular post. As an NCL cruiser, have I ever had a problem? Yes, on occasion I had to speak to someone and my problem was always taken care of and most of the time followed up on. Lesson to everyoneis not to ruin your entire vacation, talk to someone they will make it better thus making the rest of your trip more desirable.

In this case, I believe this guy is over reacting, just as he has done on other posts, he had an ax to grind before and he blows things way out of proportion. I hope NCL will take that into account and reads his prior threads..

I agree, I hope NCL is very careful about this particular post. As an NCL cruiser, have I ever had a problem? Yes, on occasion I had to speak to someone and my problem was always taken care of and most of the time followed up on. Lesson to everyoneis not to ruin your entire vacation, talk to someone they will make it better thus making the rest of your trip more desirable.

In this case, I believe this guy is over reacting, just as he has done on other posts, he had an ax to grind before and he blows things way out of proportion. I hope NCL will take that into account and reads his prior threads..

I've seen things like this happen at my job. Working for a larger retail chain where it's customary to keep people happy especially when they complain without taking into account all of the circumstances. I've seen people who were totally in the wrong compensated when they actually do not deserve to be in my opinion...just to shut them up. It always is frustrating when I see this happen and I know what actually happened. While I think it's great that ncl reads and responds to those who have real concerns I hate seeing people rewarded when they truly do not deserve to be.

• 3 years later...