Breakaway Balcony: Port or Starboard?

tjstaar7888

Hi,

I didn't see this anywhere, forgive me if I missed it. Looking to take Breakaway from NYC to Bermuda. Which side is best for seeing the city and the Statue of Liberty? Which side is facing land when docked in Bermuda? Any other pros/cons to each side?

Thanks,

Todd

It all depends on if she's docking aft first or bow first. They change it up for crew drills and or maintenance or checking the life boats.

I would say Starboard for the Statue of Liberty though, but you want to be topsides anyways for sailaway because of going under the Verranzano Narrows Bridge!! :D

NYC skyline is port side, and the Statue of Liberty is starboard - but as the other poster said you'll want to be topside for the sail away so you get the full effect...especially going under the bridge. I was surprised at how long it took to get down the Hudson...depending on how many ships are sailing that day, it could take 45 minutes to an hour.

You may also want to consider whether or not you want to sit on your balcony and watch the fireworks. If so, book port side.

Before we booked aft-facing, we were originally starboard side. My thinking was, when leaving New York, I wanted to see the Statue of Liberty, the sun setting, and any views of New Jersey in the horizon well after leaving the Hudson River.

Upon return, coming back to New York, I wanted to watch the sun rise and see the skyline of New York wake up.

Thanks for the info. We like fireworks, are those in NYC or in Bermuda? So, there is no way to know which way they will dock in Bermuda? We usually have to book whichever side is non-smoking, but I know that isn't applicable on NCL (unless the policy changes by 2015 ;)), but when possible we like to sit on our balcony and watch people returning to the ship.

Thanks for the info. We like fireworks, are those in NYC or in Bermuda? So, there is no way to know which way they will dock in Bermuda? We usually have to book whichever side is non-smoking, but I know that isn't applicable on NCL (unless the policy changes by 2015 ;)), but when possible we like to sit on our balcony and watch people returning to the ship.

Correct, Breakaway has docked both port side to the dock and starboard side to the dock in Bermuda.

Fireworks on our sailing were cancelled but I believe they are the sea evening that you leave Bermuda.

Edited by mizlorinj

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
How long after passing the Statue of Liberty does the breakaway go under the

Verranzano Bridge?

It's roughly 20 minutes from Lady Liberty to the bridge, judging from past experience.

My personal opinion, the Freedom Tower was more impressive than Lady Liberty. We were kind of far away from her. Going under the Verrazano was the best. We were on the top deck. Amazing.

Our balcony is on the port side, deck 12. Would this be a good place to be for sail away or better to be topside?

Thanks

Weather permitting and unless in winter/blizzard mode - dress accordingly & go topside for best sailaway view, it's never over-crowded & you can move starboard to port and back to see both sides coming down the Hudson toward Freedom Tower & SOL before slipping under the VZB out past Lower Bay. FT picture as taken from the BA here.

Spice H2O is really best for watching that 10 minutes worth of mini fireworks display, but if you'v seen the Disney ones, let alone the Macy's fireworks - it's all meow, IMO - you aren't missing much. Here're the "big" fireworks show from the BA.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2014%20NCL%20BA/IMG20140327_2114.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2014%20NCL%20BA/IMG20140327_2115.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2014%20NCL%20BA/IMG20140327_2116.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2014%20NCL%20BA/IMG20140327_2118.jpg

How long after passing the Statue of Liberty does the breakaway go under the

Verranzano Bridge?

We were at Maltings on the waterfront for sailaway. Just in case you miss going under the bridge, here is a video of us going under it. :D

th_20141005_160905_zpsnilyphdw.mp4