Park and stay and cruise - Manhattan port - help!

SenoraM

Will be on the Breakaway to Bermuda May 18-25/14. We are considering driving from Ontario, arriving May 16 as we want to have the weekend in NYC prior to the cruise. We obviously wouldn't stay right in Manhattan with a car, but require easy access into the city for our weekend activities. Park and stay hotels seem to be somewhat difficult to find, so we are looking for recommendations - any help is appreciated. We are open to staying on either the NJ side, or the NY side. Thanks!

What's your budget and what do you want to do in NYC? How many of you?

I'll let others more experienced with the Jersey side chip in, but there are certainly hotels near PATH and NJ Transit that will get you into the city quickly, mostly from Newark or Jersey City. If you want to do a lot of evening activities, or really experience the city, IMHO, it's hard to beat actually staying there. But, it's a balancing act. The train might be a possibility and avoid the car, and don't discount the option of flying. Again, it all depends on what you want to do.

Please look at this post for some options. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1969345

To get the maximum out of NYC, I'd plan to stay the Friday night at a park/sleep in Newark after your drive from Ontario. For Saturday night I'd book a NYC hotel on Hotwire. Take a car service to NYC first thing Sat morning. The hotel will store your luggage. This will give you almost all day Sat and Sun morning in NYC.

NYC Hotel prices are looking good on Hotwire for May 17. As markeb said, it's hard to beat actually staying there, particularly since the Breakaway leaves from there.

Will be on the Breakaway to Bermuda May 18-25/14. We are considering driving from Ontario, arriving May 16 as we want to have the weekend in NYC prior to the cruise. We obviously wouldn't stay right in Manhattan with a car, but require easy access into the city for our weekend activities. Park and stay hotels seem to be somewhat difficult to find, so we are looking for recommendations - any help is appreciated. We are open to staying on either the NJ side, or the NY side. Thanks!

I have been researching this myself hoping to sail from Manhattan soon. I have found the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken, NJ is half the price of the hotels in Manhattan. There is also a parking rate included with the room rate. I have AAA and its about $242 total per night.

There is a ferry dock right outside the hotel for $9 pp each way straight to Manhattan. I figure this would be good to use to go a few days eariler to sight see. There is also a bus for $3.20 pp each way.

Then the day of the cruise, a parking garage called Port Imperial is close by to drive to leave your car for $15 per day. There is also a ferry dock that takes you to Manhattan. The pier is about 10 blocks away. People say they have walked, but with luggage you can grab a cab.

Go on google/trip advisor and check this out. This is what I will probably end up doing. I thought about taking Megabus, but dont want to sit on there for 8 hours when we can drive it in about 4.5 hours.

Hope this helps. I have been reading these threads trying to find info, and this is the best I can find.

Parking at Port Imperial is another good option as is parking at Journal Square in Jersey City.

The OP is coming on a weekend in May when the NYC hotel prices are good and certainly competitive with $242. Another option for them would be to come down as far as Parsipanny/Morristown and get a inexpensive hotel room (under $100) and drive to Port Imperial on Sat morning to park and go into a NY hotel for the precruise night.

There are so many options. It's all a question of balancing time, money, and stress for your particular situation.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Carol,

I like your "park in Newark and service car to NYC" idea :)

What do you think of our plan?

-Th Mar 6, drive from Ontario to Newark, stay in hotel with parking included

-Fri Mar 7, service car to NYC ($48 fare is same as NJTransit for 4 people; direct)

stay in NYC hotel night before cruise, good rate booked in Nov/13

-Sat Mar 8, cab to Cruise Terminal

This way we can save the $400 Terminal parking fee, and enjoy an easier paced travel.

What do you think?

Clay Girl

Edited by Clay Girl

Hi Carol,

I like your "park in Newark and service car to NYC" idea :)

What do you think of our plan?

-Th Mar 6, drive from Ontario to Newark, stay in hotel with parking included

-Fri Mar 7, service car to NYC ($48 fare is same as NJTransit for 4 people; direct)

stay in NYC hotel night before cruise, good rate booked in Nov/13

-Sat Mar 8, cab to Cruise Terminal

This way we can save the $400 Terminal parking fee, and enjoy an easier paced travel.

What do you think?

Clay Girl

I'd be curious about what car service is charging $48 for 4 passengers from EWR to Manhattan, because that is far too low for any legitimate car service I know of...particularly with 4 passengers. If you're looking at Dial 7's website for example, the $48 dollar teaser fare would not be valid for 4 passengers with 1 piece of luggage each. They would require a minivan at fare of about $70. And regardless of fare quoted, you also have to add tolls and tip to get the true bottom line...which will be in the range of $95-100 one way. Remember you'll have to pay a similar amount to get back to NJ to pick up your car at the end of the cruise....so your real total car service cost would be in the $200 ballpark.

I agree with njhorseman that $48 is too low. Only the bus and train are in that price range for four people.

Consider buying round trip bus transfers. The bus stops at each of the airport terminals, the luggage goes under the bus, and there are three drop off points in Manhattan. Coming back you will get dropped at your airline terminal.

What hotels are you staying at in Newark and New York?

So, car service is about $200 return. I appreciate your info.

(That's why it is very helpful to chat with experienced travellers; you add the truth to what is posted on the business websites ;)

Thanks for Newark Airport Express Bus option- reasonable price, convenient, $28 rtn ea.

Has anyone taken this Airport bus into Manhattan?

In Newark, we are planning on staying at Marriott Fairfield Inn or Wyndham Garden.

In New York, I've booked Radisson Martinique on Broadway.

All are close to Express Bus stops.

I've read up on them on TripAdvisor. Has anyone stayed at these hotels?

Claygirl

I have done a park/sleep at the Fairfield and would recommend it. I would stay there over the Wyndham Garden. What price are you being quoted? Have you checked prices on Trinityreservations, stay123, and buyreservations for other hotels?

If you are staying at the Radisson Martinique you might want to consider the train from Newark Airport because the hotel is close to New York Penn Station at 32nd & Broadway and you can easily walk. Train is $12.50/pp each way.

I don't understand the reference to being close to Express bus stops.

Hi Carol,

I appreciate your recommendation of Fairfield Inn.

Price quoted on website is $235 inclusive, with 14 days of parking and breakfast.

Thanks for reservation sites; I have not heard of them before ;0

I checked all 3 and found Springhill Suites by Marriott coming in at $168 inclusive with 14 days of parking and hot breakfast. That is a good deal.

Do you know about Springhill Suites? (TripAdvisor ranks it #2 of 16 in Newark.)

I will check out the train. My boys would like that, and the price is right, and walkable to hotel, too.

Have you taken the train to NYC?

Clay Girl

ps The express stop reference was to say that the hotels are relatively close to where bus stops :)

Skip the Wyndham Garden...yuck

The Fairfield Inn was at one point nicer than the Spring Hill, but the Spring Hill was more recently renovated (2012 or 2013 per Marriott's site) so I would likely stay there....

Just know that you really need good directions and to pay attention in that area to the roads. GPS may get you confused....you have to be in the far right lane to exit into the hotel area (it's sort of a service road...)

Trip Advisor is OK, but I tend to not give much weight to the reviews.....they're subjective, some are not real and people will always have their own opinions and standards...I stay in a LOT of Marriott brands and used to work for them, so I tend to be picky.

The Spring Hill has the nice new design now, so that's where I would go.

As Meg said Springhill suites is fine. The Newark Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, and Springhill Suites are in an isolated enclave off Route 1 and share the same entrance from the right lane. When you turn into the property, you make a left in front of the Courtyard and follow the access road along the left side of the Courtyard to the back of the property where you go right along the back of the hotels over to the Fairfield and Springhill. I found this confusing until I finally figured it out.

If your boys are under 12 the train fare is $8.75. They would be free on the airport bus. I have taken the train many times to New York Penn Station but have never gotten on at Newark ?Airport.

Hi Meg,

Good thing I asked you guys. Yuck says it all. We were booked at Wyndham Gardens ;0 I will cancel and book Springhill. Sounds like the best one for sure.

If you used to work for Marriott, and you would stay there, that's the "real" opinion.

Thank you for the directions to keep far right to find this hotel.

You have cruised a lot! Thank you for sharing your experience with us :)

Clay Girl

Please print out the driving directions. The hotels on the north side of the airport can be confusing to find and GPS is not always accurate in this area. Once you miss a turn, you will be lost in a spaghetti mess of roads where you can see the hotel but not be able to get there.

Please print out the driving directions. The hotels on the north side of the airport can be confusing to find and GPS is not always accurate in this area. Once you miss a turn, you will be lost in a spaghetti mess of roads where you can see the hotel but not be able to get there.

Totally agree, been there done that.:eek:

I think the isolated hotels on the north side of the airport are about as secure as you're going to get because it is difficult for random people to access them.

New York Penn Station is reasonably signed, but it is massive and very busy. For NJ Transit there is a central overhead board with all the scheduled trains and tracks posted. There are actually two sections - NJ Transit (near 8th Ave) and Long Island railroad(near 7th Ave). There are multiple levels. The main level is below street level, there is a concourse level below that, and then the train level.

There are many stairways, but all the platforms have an elevator and at least one escalator to get up to the main level or the concourse level. It's very accessible, but you might have to ask or search around for the accessible path.

Hi Carol,

I will print all of your directions, including the Penn Station one. Thank you :)

We often take the train into Toronto's Union Station, so that should help us.

We're all set: hotels are booked and transportation details ready.

Thank you all for your help to make our 1st family cruise vacation a success!

30 days and counting :)

Clay Girl

Hi Carol,

I will print all of your directions, including the Penn Station one. Thank you :)

We often take the train into Toronto's Union Station, so that should help us.

We're all set: hotels are booked and transportation details ready.

Thank you all for your help to make our 1st family cruise vacation a success!

30 days and counting :)

Clay Girl

Personally, I would take the bus and forget the train. You have to take the Airtrain at the airport to the airport train station, then TRANSFER to NJ Transit. Darn sight easier to get dropped off by the hotel shuttle at one of the terminals and get on the bus. No hassle moving luggage and people around.

Hi Meg,

Good thing I asked you guys. Yuck says it all. We were booked at Wyndham Gardens ;0 I will cancel and book Springhill. Sounds like the best one for sure.

If you used to work for Marriott, and you would stay there, that's the "real" opinion.

Thank you for the directions to keep far right to find this hotel.

You have cruised a lot! Thank you for sharing your experience with us :)

Clay Girl

You're welcome...:o...blush....:p

Penn Station is crazy....but, there are signs, and it's well patrolled by police and National Guard I believe.....

The station in Toronto is no where near as nuts as NYPenn, but well...it's NY so it is crazy

Have fun!!!

HI Meg :)

Ahhhh, I made you blush ;)

Well, not to worry, Greatam says to take "Easy Street" on express bus to NYC.

So, forget Penn station - we'll take a the bus and then a quick cab ride to hotel.

Yes, NYC is crazy, but Torontonians LOVE NEW YORK :)

Clay Girl

• 1 month later...
I think the isolated hotels on the north side of the airport are about as secure as you're going to get because it is difficult for random people to access them.

New York Penn Station is reasonably signed, but it is massive and very busy. For NJ Transit there is a central overhead board with all the scheduled trains and tracks posted. There are actually two sections - NJ Transit (near 8th Ave) and Long Island railroad(near 7th Ave). There are multiple levels. The main level is below street level, there is a concourse level below that, and then the train level.

There are many stairways, but all the platforms have an elevator and at least one escalator to get up to the main level or the concourse level. It's very accessible, but you might have to ask or search around for the accessible path.

HI Carol,

We just arrived back from our Cruise out of Manhattan.

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciated your advice and help in planning :)

We stayed at the Springhill Suites and parked our car there for 10 days. Excellent option. We booked through Trinity, on your suggestion, and it was $163 all in.

The NJtrain to NYC Penn was easy, and with your directions we moved through Penn station quickly.

Thank you for your great advise, and kind help!

Clay Girl and family.

HI Carol,

We just arrived back from our Cruise out of Manhattan.

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciated your advice and help in planning :)

We stayed at the Springhill Suites and parked our car there for 10 days. Excellent option. We booked through Trinity, on your suggestion, and it was $163 all in.

The NJtrain to NYC Penn was easy, and with your directions we moved through Penn station quickly.

Thank you for your great advise, and kind help!

Clay Girl and family.

I'm so glad the suggestions and directions worked out well for you.. I hope the cruise was fantastic!