Bringing our 18 month old on carnival magic! Any advice?????

rosarodriguez

Clearly all the Moms are replying. It must be a nurturing thing. Devil advocate here: NORO. Do you wipe them down with sanitizer? Their immune systems are more fragile? Or us older adults subjected to soiled diapers. I know you never would but you aren't everyone. Same diaper issue on Hal only a geriatric variety.

I don't wipe my noro down, do you?

Anyhow, this conversation will now continue in the negative with this post you made.

Unfortunately, Boss, you and I only see my original question as a non invasive legit question. We typically try and do self assist to get off as soon as possible. I have watched young parents struggle with the stroller and extra gear. It strikes me as same thing new day, different environment. No relaxation. The wife and I usually do not go separate ways on a cruise so there isn't shifts of child watching while the other has fun. Going with extra family to share duties would be optimal as in an expensive albeit extended play date. I have outgrown Carnival for the most part and travel Princess. (I hear the responses already) But if we want a quicky to the Caribbean, Princess isn't there year round.

Clearly all the Moms are replying. It must be a nurturing thing. Devil advocate here: NORO. Do you wipe them down with sanitizer? Their immune systems are more fragile? Or us older adults subjected to soiled diapers. I know you never would but you aren't everyone. Same diaper issue on Hal only a geriatric variety.

Yea, not a mom here....

And why are you subjected to my son's diapers? I think your confused here. And trying to play the "I'm innocent, I just asked a question" card is laughable after this post.

I'm assuming you never had kids, but I could be wrong, however, everyone who is posting here in support of the OP WANTS to take their kids, doesn't see them as work or a burden, and thats how it should be.

You don't accidentally end up with kids, they are a choice you made in one way or another, and I salute all the moms (and Dads) on here who WANT to spend time with their kids and ENJOY the decision they made to bring a little one into the world, and then ENJOY the decision they are making to take that little one into the world to enjoy it!

I think its clear WHY we bring our kids in this thread, so your question is answered, move on.

Nobody is "upset" about bringing toddlers. A question about bringing small children was just that, a question. You must remember this is a question from "another generation", as I am. The younger generation is more "into" this type of vacation. As being from the older generation, this is something we did not see when our kids were small. Please take this into consideration before you continue to bash those of us with other thoughts.

Some of the comments here are quite rude.

My parents are likely in your generation, and they never travelled anywhere without us.

Your question was answered several times. Parents cruise with their kids for different reasons, including they want to spend time with their kids. Are you really not understanding that??

I take time off work and travel with my kids because I want to spend time with them. Of course they are happy, and they might not remember everything or anything. I cruise with them because it makes ME happy.

Unfortunately, Boss, you and I only see my original question as a non invasive legit question. We typically try and do self assist to get off as soon as possible. I have watched young parents struggle with the stroller and extra gear. It strikes me as same thing new day, different environment. No relaxation. The wife and I usually do not go separate ways on a cruise so there isn't shifts of child watching while the other has fun. Going with extra family to share duties would be optimal as in an expensive albeit extended play date. I have outgrown Carnival for the most part and travel Princess. (I hear the responses already) But if we want a quicky to the Caribbean, Princess isn't there year round.

You're correct, it isn't always relaxation. But that's part of being a parent. You say one parent is child watching while the other has fun... have you ever thought that some parents think that watching their child is fun!? It's not all struggling in line with luggage and strollers, the majority of time with kids is fun.

You asked a legit question, you got legit answers. You still can't understand why, just like some people can't understand your way of thinking...

Ps, I'm not a mom, I'm a dad. :cool:

I am amazed at folks bringing small kids on cruises? Why are they included? I remember when I was 2, the greatest vacation...that doesn't sounds logical. Maybe no one to watch your kid? It's probably just me but I don't get it. Wait till 5 or 6 then they can appreciate it.

We would never have dreamed of taking our kids on a cruise until they were in their teens. We took them to Disneyland when they were over 5 years old - old enough to understand what was going on. Dragging diapers, food, sippy cups, a kiddie pool, etc., is not my idea of a family vacation. Also, crying babies is not something I want to hear on any cruise - my kids or other people's kids. One reason why we've been cruising on Princess lately - very few children on board.

We would never have dreamed of taking our kids on a cruise until they were in their teens. We took them to Disneyland when they were over 5 years old - old enough to understand what was going on. Dragging diapers, food, sippy cups, a kiddie pool, etc., is not my idea of a family vacation. Also, crying babies is not something I want to hear on any cruise - my kids or other people's kids. One reason why we've been cruising on Princess lately - very few children on board.

I would never dreamed of leaving my kids at home. Not everyone has the same idea of a family vacation. My choice is to have my family with me on a family vacation, you don't and that's fine because everyone is different.

But you can't control who is on the ship with you.. you don't like crying babies, I don't like rude adults who complain or are obnoxious. But you just have to deal with it. You may find less kids on Princess, which sounds like a better choice if you don't want kids around.

My DD was about the same age on her first cruise on the Destiny. She loved riding the glass elevators, listening to the piano players in the atrium...the mini-golf... I don't think she played with any of the toys we brought for her.

We ate in the MDR every night. The assistant had a chocolate milk, a fruit plate and her favorite bun for her every night.

After we ordered, we'd take her to the bathroom - who knew potty training was so much fun on a boat!

Because she was pretty reliable (wearing pull ups) we'd wait until she would go #2 and then take her up to the kiddie-pool. She loved it.

Her second cruise (when she was 3.5) she LOVED the waterworks area on the Dream. On the sea day, she went to CC for an hour while we had a leisurely lunch. She didn't want to leave!

Sitting on the balcony with a baby monitor and a glass of wine, or taking turns going to the shows works for us. My sister has come with us and says it is the most relaxing vacation and the most sleep she has ever gotten on vacation!!

As other posters have said, make sure you take an emergency kit with basic medications, etc.

As you can see from my signature, our most recent cruise was in Europe. She was 4 (almost 5). Cruising was the best way to travel as she had the same bed every night, reliable food (and service). I don't regret a minute of it. I'm not naïve to think she will remember everything, but it wasn't about that. We had a great time exploring Europe at a "slower" pace and enjoying things that otherwise you wouldn't see or do as an adult.

Edited by festivalfrau

We typically bring our baby sitter with us on cruises. That way if My wife and I want to go have a drink at night, after the little one has gone to bed, Grandma can stay behind.

Grandma loves it because she gets a free cruise and gets to spend time with her family, and we get the bonus of having the best of both worlds.

Pretty certain we would go even without Grandma, but so far we haven't had to.