Bringing our 18 month old on carnival magic! Any advice?????

rosarodriguez

Take a small umbrella stroller if you can. Comes in handy around the ship and at ports. Bring a couple of sippy or straw cups (whatever he likes) as they don't have kids cups. Remember to take them with you to the dining room! Bring a sand pail and shovel if you plan to do beach days at port, which I recommend! Shoveling in sand and dumping it out kept my toddlers busy for hours at the beach!

Don't want to inundate you with you much :). Both my girls did their first cruises at 16-17 months and loved them! Have a great time!

I am amazed at folks bringing small kids on cruises? Why are they included? I remember when I was 2, the greatest vacation...that doesn't sounds logical. Maybe no one to watch your kid? It's probably just me but I don't get it. Wait till 5 or 6 then they can appreciate it.

I am amazed at folks bringing small kids on cruises? Why are they included? I remember when I was 2, the greatest vacation...that doesn't sounds logical. Maybe no one to watch your kid? It's probably just me but I don't get it. Wait till 5 or 6 then they can appreciate it.

Why are kids included? Because they're part of our family. I could not imagine getting on a ship for more than a few hours without my child, nor leaving the country, on a ship or a plane, nor would I request anyone watch my young child for more than a night or two. The memories we create with our children belong to us as parents just as much as to our children. Take your judgement elsewhere, grump.

We never vacationed as kids and I want my son to experience it all. Also I can't imagine leaving my 18month old behind for a week. It doesn't matter what age as long as we are all together and I don't have to cook or wash dishes it's a vacation! I'm sure my son will have a blast!

Why are kids included? Because they're part of our family. I could not imagine getting on a ship for more than a few hours without my child, nor leaving the country, on a ship or a plane, nor would I request anyone watch my young child for more than a night or two. The memories we create with our children belong to us as parents just as much as to our children. Take your judgement elsewhere, grump.

Thank you! I couldn't agree with you more!!

I personally wouldn't have gone on a cruise when my daughter was that small but I don't think anyone should be criticized for that decision. The OP was asking for helpful tips and not whether or not she should bring her child.

OP - forgot to mention in my other post that you should visit the family cruising board if you haven't already. Lots of info there for cruising with children.

We are bringing our 18 month old on carnival magic in May. My husband and I have taken 4 cruises together and we absolutely love them. This will be our first with our son! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!

I try to stay away from questions like this because it can get heated very quickly, But you did ask the question.

My advice is just be a good parent and remember that everyone does not love 18 month olds as much as you do.

If your child is crying in the middle of dinner (if it the MDR) or a show take the child out of the venue. If your kid is crying at dinner in the buffet to bad for the other people, the buffet is a great place to take kids, well kids cry sometimes. If your kid is having a crying fit when you are by the pool, I would not care because that is where kids have fun.

Last thing take lots of pictures of your kid, he or she will not remember the cruise when they get older, but 30 years from now those picts will be priceless.

Not sure why you are being so judgemental on someone else's vacation. What this person decides to do on their vacation is up to them an no one else. I am also a mother and I would never want to go on vacation without my son. Have an awesome time on your cruise!

don't sweat it, you'll probably be on an earlier schedule than many on board, but I actually enjoy that.

we went when our child was 2.5 and 3.5 and is going again in a month. I'm more worried about his misbehaving now at dinner than I did at 2.5. He's a good kid, but he has a much stronger opinion of things now. Knowing there is a chance of desert each night seems to help a lot.

as stated before, swim diapers are not allowed, but it may be the least enforced rule onboard (next to chair saving :-) )...the kiddie pool was full of kids in swim diapers...you can decide if thats a rule you want to break.

I imagine at that age you will, but take a stroller, its a life saver on island days...even if he's not in it, your stuff can be.

your son will need to wear a muster station bracelet, so plan on something on his wrist or ankle for 7 days. Not a big deal, but he's gotta have it, you'll get it when you muster

sunblock and extra sunblock, swim shirts, a hat, sandals, sippy cup, toys, beach toys

small sized cereal boxes from breakfast or room service are handy. Load up, throw them in diaper bag and break them out when necessary. The snacks really help make it through the day without stopping what you're doing to eat.

ask your cabin steward for the (now famous) red bags for dirty diapers, much better than putting them in the 'garbage can' in the bathroom. We used to put ours in red bags then place then on the balcony and he used to get them during room servicing, worked great.

bring some carabiners, put them on your bag, stroller whatever. They act as another hand for so much and I find myself using them more on vacation than anywhere while trying to consolidate all the necessary stuff...

In addition to what others have pointed out, not everyone has a luxury to just leave their kids at home. I can't snap my fingers and summon a baby sitter. So based on what you are saying, since we can't find someone to baby sit our small child we should just stay home? Please....

Next week will be our 3rd cruise since having our baby.

First one was when he was 9 months on Disney and that was a breeze due to all their accommodations..

Last one in July, we left him with his grandmother, she works but was able to take 5 days off

Next week, we can't leave him, so he is coming with us and we will have a great time even though Carnival doesn't offer much for kids younger than 2. Ours is 20 months old.

:eek::eek: Really? Who are YOU to tell ANYBODY who they can, and cannot bring. Most people wouldn't DREAM of leaving their kids at home, while they go on vacation. And, I am not slamming those people.....to each their own, but we NEVER took a vacation without our daughter. First trip at 5months...... MYOB!:mad:

This post is not helpful, nor does it answer the original question by the OP.

I just cruised this past August with my daughter who was 23 almost 24 months and we had a blast. She absolutely loved to watch the water from the huge windows on Lido and enjoyed walking around the ship talking to everyone. Since this will be your first cruise with baby know that it will be much different than your previous cruises. Still fun but you won't be out super late at night, you won't be able to make every single attraction/show that you want and if you do make it you might not see the entire show, might have to leave early, or won't be able to enjoy them with hubby together (you both might have to see one showtime alone while the other stays in cabin with sleeping baby etc). If anything it was a much more subdued relaxing vacation instead of constantly being on the go and making every single game or show. I read a lot and came back well rested instead of tired and needing a vacation from my vacation. LOL

Most airlines will allow babies under 2 to be lap babies but spend the extra money (some airlines like SW offer cheap discounted seats for babies under 2) and purchase baby his/her own seat and bring the carseat (it'll fit in the closet). I packed my daughters backpack with some light toys and all of her snacks and then packed everything else in my backpack. Bring lots of toys, books, snacks, jacket, blanket, socks for their little feet.

Back way more diapers and wipes than you'll need, better to have too much than too little. Get a ziplock and put all medications in it (powdered pedialyte, band aids, Neosporin, Tylenol (I prefer Children's Motrin), Thermometer, hydrocortisone cream, etc.). Bring sippy cups (disposable or not) and plastic table toppers both of which can be purchased at Target, BRU, or Walmart. Also, purchase an umbrella stroller that reclines so baby can take a nap if need be while you're off the ship or walking around the ship (amazon usually has the best prices). Gate check it before you board the plane and buy a cheap solid extra large laundry bag to protect the stroller during flights (a lot cheaper than purchasing an overpriced stroller bag)I purchased the first year ignite but it doesn't recline completely:

http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Ignite-Stroller/dp/B002WB2GB6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389649508&sr=8-2&keywords=the+first+years+ignite+stroller

But I believe this one reclines completely:

http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-08060886000070-Liteway-Stroller-Magma/dp/B00AHPZXZU/ref=pd_sbs_ba_6

They don't have much for this age group to do on the ship so pack some toys. My daughter was not into showers (still isn't) so I bought an electric pump and purchased this pool from BRU (Babies R Us) and it fit perfectly on the floor of the shower:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13239896&cp=2255957.2273443.4392756.2256088.2256094&parentPage=family

We also took this pool up on the Lido deck and set it up in a corner near the windows and filled it with some water from the pool or shower and my daughter and our cousin (4 yrs old) had a great time splashing in it, using their sand shovels and buckets, and little toy ducks, turtles, and fishing pole bath toys. I have plenty of pictures but I'm at work and don't have them right now to show you.

The staff were very very friendly and spoiled my daughter like crazy so be prepared for your little one to receive lots of attention and gain some new friends. The staff in the MDR were great as well and provided crayons and coloring books and always sent her food out almost immediately.

It was definitely a different experience cruising with my daughter (a week shy of her 2nd birthday). I had to pay to use Camp Carnival at night for a few hours and sometimes they closed early if they didn't have any kids after a certain time but are supposed to stay open until 2 or 3am I believe so be prepared to be disappointed if you and DH have to cancel plans because they may be closed. I hope these tips helped. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions and definitely check out the family cruises board. Lots of helpful tips there.

Edited by ShanteS

It's that hideous monster again. Very simple question and the masses go crazy. A. we have grown children and grandchildren. B. I'm retired now and watch one of my granddaughters during the week and take her to school. C. I take my grandson to karate practice and have for 3 years. D. We take everyone on an ocean vacation to NC in the summer. Both families and all the grandkids. I see a cruise as a more intimate time away for parents, who in today's fast pace world need time together. 50% divorce rate. So it was a real question. Our first cruise was in 92 and left kids behind and well cared for. The wife did not enjoy the trip because our son was 8. It was a legit question. I don't mind being flamed....

Bring? Your fun face and enjoy. We have taken our kids and now grandkids on cruises at that age and it's a plan for many future discussions about how much fun it was.

I think the biggest issue with the small ones was the bathing. As stated, take a small inflatable bath tub or pool and use it in the shower.

As stated take a selection of OTC medication as finding them on the ship when somebody is sick isn't fun. That goes for adults also.

I would plan on eating at the buffet most nights. It's fast and good for kids. You can eat what when you want and worse case you take plates back to the cabin if the little one gets cranky. Also if everybody is tired order room service and kick back, we did that several nights.

I assume you aren't taking grandparents along to baby sit (we always do it at least one night) so a quite night/dinner out is probably out of the question for the two of you. Not sure about in cabin sitting as the daughter in laws have never been keen on doing it.

It's that hideous monster again. Very simple question and the masses go crazy. A. we have grown children and grandchildren. B. I'm retired now and watch one of my granddaughters during the week and take her to school. C. I take my grandson to karate practice and have for 3 years. D. We take everyone on an ocean vacation to NC in the summer. Both families and all the grandkids. I see a cruise as a more intimate time away for parents, who in today's fast pace world need time together. 50% divorce rate. So it was a real question. Our first cruise was in 92 and left kids behind and well cared for. The wife did not enjoy the trip because our son was 8. It was a legit question. I don't mind being flamed....

Sounds like it's time to take the grandkids on a cruise. Surprise yourself. Not everyone gets upset with a crying baby although I'm sure I'm in the vast minority.

I suppose some adults do use it as "get away" time but I'm just the opposite, I use it as a fun family vacation. I couldn't imagine cruising without the kids (but think my wife's spring break of 2015 might work :D).

You only get so much fun time with your kids and then they're off to blaze their own path. Catch it while you can even at 18 months.

Edited by fuddrules